View Full Version : Need some help / Advice

nwbucket
09-14-11, 02:45 PM
So

I am in the process of trying to locate someone for couples counseling that understands ADHD

In the meantime does anyone have a good link or document that does a good job of explaining Adult ADD to your spouse.

Not looking for the general symptoms, I have shared that stuff with her in the past.

More importantly looking for something to help explain some of my more complicated symptoms related to ADHD.

Never able to really feel happy (partially ADHD partially Depression)

How criticizing my faults makes me worse

How I do not do things on purpose just to make her mad. (Little every day things, forgetting something, not doing something the right way)

How hard it can be at times to get motivated, and how the whole time I am killing myself in my head for not getting moving

etc. etc. etc.

I explained most of my symptoms in a earlier post.

Basically I am tired of her thinking that ADHD is just an excuse (although I have barley ever blamed ADD for anything, the few times I have tried to explain how ADD affects me she just does not understand)

Any ideas?

Blog posts? Posts Here? Books? YouTube videos?

Thanks in advance.

pechemignonne
09-14-11, 02:51 PM
"Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?" by Gina Pera http://adhdrollercoaster.org/

Congratulations on taking steps to get help. It takes a lot of courage.

Lunacie
09-14-11, 03:49 PM
I think Dr. Russell Barkley does a good job of explaining how ADHD affects
us, and he's pretty entertaining to boot. Look on www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) for
videos of his lectures.

BR549
09-14-11, 05:54 PM
Hi NW,
I don't know if you've read this thread, but it was one of the things that I showed my husband a few months ago. I don't think he totally understood the impact ADHD can have on a person and how it can affect our relationships. He still doesn't totally 'get' it, but he's getting there. He told me that this thread opened his eyes.

www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10798

www.blogs.psychcentral.com/wellness/2011/07/what-your-partner-with-adhd-would-like-you-to-know/

Here is the original the above thread was quoted from:
www.healthcentral.com/adhd/c/1443/15982/ten-things-addadhd

It's not easy to make someone learn about ADHD or want to learn about it. Especially if they already have preconceived notions about ADHD. I found that showing my husband little articles and threads about partners with ADHD, like the ones above, is slowly helping him realize just how this disorder affects me and how it has an impact on our relationship. It has helped us slowly start talking about ADHD more. He's not quite on the same page with me, but he's getting there.

I hope the suggestions help.

nwbucket
09-14-11, 05:59 PM
The second link does not work. Thanks for sharing though

nwbucket
09-14-11, 06:00 PM
I think Dr. Russell Barkley does a good job of explaining how ADHD affects
us, and he's pretty entertaining to boot. Look on www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) for
videos of his lectures.

Thanks