View Full Version : Is there a program to block myself from facebook and other websites?

ChestRockwellNY
09-14-11, 08:30 PM
Hello EVERYBODY! Does anybody know a program for the PC that you can download that you can block certain websites for a certain amount of time? I know there is a program for Mac that is supposed to be great. I think it is called self control. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac and find myself distracted by websites like facebook CONSTANTLY. If anybody knows of a program that you can download like this (for example you can lock yourself out of facebook for 5 hours and when you try to access the site you are blocked until the time is up regardless of what you try to do to get around it) that would be FAN-*******-TASTIC! Part of the reason I am posting this here is because I am sure many of you easily distracted yet wonderful and attractive people probably have the same problem. THANKS!!!!!

BR549
09-14-11, 09:55 PM
You could try K9 Web Protection. I don't know much about it. I think I read about it a while back on CNET.

karbouris
09-20-11, 05:55 PM
Facebook= Death lol

namazu
09-20-11, 06:28 PM
Hi CRNY,

A lot of the programs are browser-dependent.

I usually use Firefox for my web-browsing. There is a great (and free) add-on called "Leechblock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/leechblock/)" that you can use to set time limits (like, no more than 30 min. per day) or time periods (like, only between 9and 10 PM) for the websites you choose. It also has some other nice features.

I actually set up LeechBlock and then had someone else set a password so I can't easily circumvent it!

If you use Internet Explorer, supposedly the "Content Advisor" (under Options or Tools or whatever it's called) can be set up to block certain websites entirely. However, I have not been able to get it to work, except using pre-loaded lists of "censored" sites. When I tell it to lock me out of Facebook, for example, it won't do it. So I'm still looking for good software for IE.

kipong
10-26-11, 07:34 PM
1) I use Blocksite on Firefox. I input web sites that I waste time on, then ask a friend to type the password so I can't have access at all.

2) If you're not geeky, I can show you how to block the ip addresses permanently on all browsers installed on your Windows machine. Just pm me. If you're somewhat geeky and have Windows, you can also block access by modifying the hosts file located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in Notepad. I've blocked Google chat, Facebook, Google Plus, and Google profiles. Copy the following word for word into the hosts file using Notepad. Be sure to right click the file before modifying and uncheck the read-only and check the hidden box under properties. Click open in Notepad, be sure you're viewing all files and not just .txt select the hosts file and copy and paste this word for word after erasing the text already there. By the way, I've also used this for Google ads.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 localhost

127.0.0.1 chatenabled.mail.google.com

127.0.0.1 talk.google.com

127.0.0.1 talkx.l.google.com

127.0.0.1 httpcs.msg.yahoo.com

127.0.0.1 facebook.com

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

______

Then hit, save as, make sure again you're viewing all files and not just .txt then select the hosts file, hit save over..done. The same applies for any other site you want to block.