View Full Version : I think I might have found that works finally - Wellbutrin XL

sbcy
09-15-11, 04:49 AM
My doc bumped me up today (well actually yesterday technically) from 300mg wellbutrin xl to 450mg. By evening I tried reading what I was struggling to process at all just a few days ago and WOW...it just goes into my head! I tested my reading rate and close to double the WPM!! My eyes aren't used moving this fast so it could probably be faster!!! What else should I do to test my improvement attention/processing?! It's not fully effective...I still get distracted and if I'm not conciously trying to listen I miss what someone said it seems like. But when I'm paying attention and trying hard, I usually process the information much more easily that before. Maybe it will improve tomorrow-who knows, but this is a huge step as it is. Unlike adderall and other stims, It don't even feel like i'm taking something...just normal!

I might have found a med that works after nearly 7 years of treatment...what else should I do to test this?! lol

sbcy
09-15-11, 05:28 AM
My doc bumped me up today (well actually yesterday technically) from 300mg wellbutrin xl to 450mg. By evening I tried reading what I was struggling to process at all just a few days ago and WOW...it just goes into my head! I tested my reading rate and close to double the WPM!! My eyes aren't used moving this fast so it could probably be faster!!! What else should I do to test my improvement attention/processing?! It's not fully effective...I still get distracted and if I'm not conciously trying to listen I miss what someone said it seems like. But when I'm paying attention and trying hard, I usually process the information much more easily that before. Maybe it will improve tomorrow-who knows, but this is a huge step as it is. Unlike adderall and other stims, It don't even feel like i'm taking something...just normal!

I might have found a med that works after nearly 7 years of treatment...what else should I do to test this?! lol

uhh the subject title doesn't exactly beg smartness but w/e. lol

Michiko74
09-15-11, 01:27 PM
Congratulations! I know Wellbrutrin is one of the better drugs out there for ADHD. I just happen to be allergic to it :(

sbcy
09-15-11, 10:10 PM
Never mind...today wellbutrin did nothing. Maybe it was placebo? I don't know why it didn't work today!!!

blgw99
09-16-11, 03:51 AM
At first, the stimulation is stronger and eventually it could wear off and it just works as an antidepressant.

Personally, I love it, helps both mood and focus.

sbcy
09-16-11, 04:40 AM
At first, the stimulation is stronger and eventually it could wear off and it just works as an antidepressant.

Personally, I love it, helps both mood and focus.

fu*k! I'm already at the max dosage supposedly. Anyone ever been prescribed more than 450mg??? My body always seems to adjust to meds after 1-3 days. At one point I could take 40mg of adderall IR and not know it except by the fact that I had no appetite and couldn't sleep. No other effects or side effects.

sbcy
09-18-11, 01:41 PM
Update: day 3 of 450mg wellbutrin xl-it's doing nothing but making me too horny

ByStarlight
09-22-11, 03:16 PM
Wow, well I hope that it gets better for ya in the next few days! I actually just got prescribed the same thing today, but only 150ml. Your post makes me nervous about how effective its actually going to be. :confused:

sbcy
09-22-11, 07:14 PM
Wow, well I hope that it gets better for ya in the next few days! I actually just got prescribed the same thing today, but only 150ml. Your post makes me nervous about how effective its actually going to be. :confused:

I wouldn't worry about it, I usually react totally different from the majority of the population. I have taken 40mg of Addeeral IR with no effect except loss of appetite.

feelme03
09-29-11, 12:20 PM
I've started taking Wellbutrin XL 450 around June and also on Celexa 40. I have felt very jittery, so much that I can't read sometimes. My Dr. said to take less Celexa, but slowly, that's helped a little. I've gone back to college, am taking 14 credits and there is a lot of reading! I get so bored when I read. But it seems I can absorb things a lot better than when I was a kid. Just be patient with Wellbutrin, Sbcy, it takes time for this drug to work.

SpacyOne
09-30-11, 04:08 PM
I'm a Medical Assistant and have alot of experience with Wellbutrin XL. It takes a good 2 weeks or more for levels to work up in your system to be completely effective for any kind of Wellbutrin (XL, SR). 450 mg is the maximum dosage as anymore will lower the seizure threshold to dangerous levels, and that is only for ADDers. Depression max is 300mg. Also, the effects taper off at doses any higher. Give it a month and see how you feel then. Also, the brand name drug also seems to work much better in many people than the generic bupropion. You may want to check into that as well. Good luck with this!!!

Oasis77
10-06-11, 11:51 PM
Wellbutrin did help increase my energy level/concentration. However, I still struggled with fatigue, being in a fog, terrible time management and spaciness/daydreaming...until I was on Adderall. I now take both and it has changed my life. I still have my days I am 'lost in space'..but I am finding those days are worst when I also haven't been good about my sleep routine (I HAVE to get 8 or 9 hours with this dumb ADHD-PI) and I am under alot of stress and do not allow some downtime (total overload- brain malfunctions big time!) :) I think medications will get you so far but its also important to implement self-care for us ADHD-PI's.

hollywood
10-07-11, 08:53 AM
how much more effective is the 300xl dose in comparison to the 150xl dose for being steady and generating positive all day effects? I've been on 150xl and think 300xl with my stims helped me hone in on things a bit better. Any advice? I'd imagine those that may need an ssri or snri and experience any fatigue that 450xl wellbutrin would probably counter the hell out of any negative symptom of demotivation that ssri's can potentially cause.

425runner
10-09-11, 08:16 PM
I've found that 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL is the optimum dose for managing depression and ADD. I also take Bio PQQ and Coq-10 to help with sluggish mental processing.

anonymouslyadd
10-15-11, 08:54 PM
I didn't know you could go up to 450 mg on Wellbutrin. I'm taking 300 mg right now. I feel like I can cry at any moment.:(

Impetus
10-15-11, 09:40 PM
I didn't know you could go up to 450 mg on Wellbutrin. I'm taking 300 mg right now. I feel like I can cry at any moment.:(

how long have you been taking it??

There was a brief period where I was pretty depressed, but I think it was more of a phase associated with depression lifting.... kinda like how sometimes people will become un depressed enough to follow through on suicidal thoughts.

hope this is something that will pass with more time.

anonymouslyadd
10-15-11, 09:42 PM
how long have you been taking it??

There was a brief period where I was pretty depressed, but I think it was more of a phase associated with depression lifting.... kinda like how sometimes people will become un depressed enough to follow through on suicidal thoughts.

hope this is something that will pass with more time.

Since last winter I think. It's not even my mind that needs to be treated. It's my heart...

Thanks Impetus.:)

SooZeeQ
10-18-11, 07:54 PM
Hi all, I'm new here, just joined and was diagnosed ADHD in August. I'm 39.

I just started Wellbutrin SR 150mg last Thursday. The first couple days I didn't notice much, and then slowly I seemed to get slight sensations of dizziness and unsteadiness here and there. Have had some headaches, but I also started menstruating (sorry guys) so maybe that to blame. Sunday was the first day that I took the 2 pills/day. Today didn't do so well. The biggest thing I'm having issues with now is my hands... they feel like lead weights and very shaky. I also had an episode of nausea today too. So I spent most of the day in bed.

I seem to have a low tolerance for feeling crappy, and when I feel crappy due to a medication, I always have the urge to stop taking it. I know its early, but do these side effects go away? I was starting to do a lot better managing my life with the therapy I'm in, so I'm wondering if the future benefits of the med is worth the side effects?

Thanks everyone!

sbcy
10-19-11, 07:51 AM
Hi all, I'm new here, just joined and was diagnosed ADHD in August. I'm 39.

I just started Wellbutrin SR 150mg last Thursday. The first couple days I didn't notice much, and then slowly I seemed to get slight sensations of dizziness and unsteadiness here and there. Have had some headaches, but I also started menstruating (sorry guys) so maybe that to blame. Sunday was the first day that I took the 2 pills/day. Today didn't do so well. The biggest thing I'm having issues with now is my hands... they feel like lead weights and very shaky. I also had an episode of nausea today too. So I spent most of the day in bed.

I seem to have a low tolerance for feeling crappy, and when I feel crappy due to a medication, I always have the urge to stop taking it. I know its early, but do these side effects go away? I was starting to do a lot better managing my life with the therapy I'm in, so I'm wondering if the future benefits of the med is worth the side effects?

Thanks everyone!

I don't think I've experienced any of those sides effects when taking Wellbutrin XL, I haven't tried SR though. The only real side effect I experienced on Wellbutrin XL was an increase in anxiety/short temper when I first started and when bumping the dose up. Are you taking the name brand or generic? Why did your doctor put you on SR 2 times/day vs XL 1 time/day? Have you tried many other medications? Wellbutrin generally speaking isn't one of the first medications for treating ADHD/ADD but it does help a small portion of the population.
I know what you mean about the side effects making you feel like crap...I recently started Straterra and it makes me pretty depressed sometimes for no apparent reason, also it has made my OCD measurably worse. To make matters worse, there have been a few times in past years where I felt almost "normal" or no anxiety and in control of what I want to get done (when I was getting b12 shots...the effect wore off though) so I always feel like crap compared to that. "Under aroused" might be a more accurate way of putting it.

I don't know if this would apply to Wellbutrin, but with Straterra my doctor had me start on a very low dosage and then increase every 5-7 days for a month (close to 2 weeks in currently). This way the side effects are (hopefully) less severe while your body is getting used to the medication.

SooZeeQ
10-19-11, 08:23 AM
Are you taking the name brand or generic? Why did your doctor put you on SR 2 times/day vs XL 1 time/day? Have you tried many other medications? Wellbutrin generally speaking isn't one of the first medications for treating ADHD/ADD but it does help a small portion of the population.

Hi... honestly I don't know whether its generic or name brand. The label says "buPROPion (Wellbutrin SR) 150mgTBSR" . Maybe that's generic. My doc put me on the SR because I have a little history with some minor anxiety that has cropped up in the last year and a half and she thought the sustained release would be easier on me than the instant... but I don't remember if she mentioned anything about XL, which is extended release, right? No, I have not tried any other medications for ADHD. I've learned that Wellbutrin isn't the first go-to for ADHD, but again the anxiety issues are the reason she didn't prescribe a stimulant.

I have had issues with an overdose of Synthroid from a previous doctor (we are military so we move a lot...that doesnt help either) about 8 months ago. So now I'm also seeing an endocrinologist to determine a better approach to low thyroid.... and I know the two conditions can be related. But what I'm getting at is that I seem to be sensitive to medications.

So anyhow, after I posted yesterday, I started to feel slightly better until I ate dinner, than I deteriorated rapidly and ended up vomiting and I felt like my hands were tingly bowling balls and started to feel good ol' anxiety creeping back into me. I was able to sleep fairly decent considering... I think after I vomited my body was just like "I quit!" and I fell asleep. This morning I feel ok but dehydrated and hungry.

So I called my doc and described everything... they said to stop taking it and I'm going back in on Monday for a re-eval.

How's this for a response?? lol

ideaman
10-21-11, 06:41 AM
Hi SooZeeQ, I'm also recently on Wellbutrin now, SR150mg and Synthroid (75micrograms). You mention having had an experience with Synthroid overdose - what did it feel like? Thanks!

SooZeeQ
10-21-11, 02:14 PM
Hi SooZeeQ, I'm also recently on Wellbutrin now, SR150mg and Synthroid (75micrograms). You mention having had an experience with Synthroid overdose - what did it feel like? Thanks!

Hi Ideaman,
I was prescribed Synthroid 75mcg based on a slightly high TSH level from a blood test conducted during an ER visit because I was having heart palpitations and it scared me. My doctor jumped the gun... my actual thyroid hormone levels (T3 and T4) were fine but she didn't look at those. Anyhow, being OD'd on Synthroid will give you HYPERthyroid symptoms.... agitation, anxiety, irregular or racing heart rate, among other things. It was a disaster. I weaned myself off it and now I am seeing an endocrinologist who says I don't need any Synthroid therapy at this time, which makes total sense. I wasn't having hypothyroid symptoms in the first place.

My lesson in all of this is to gather as much knowledge as you can and be very involved (and assertive) regarding your healthcare because doctors don't always get it right.

ideaman
10-22-11, 07:41 AM
Thanks SooZeeQ, funny, I get some palpitations FROM thyroid supplementation, never before. I also have some hypo syndroms like dry skin, cold feet and, of course, depression / concentration problems. Although the last two are probably just wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure I'm just wired wrong in the brain from my birth.

Recently the Synthroid 75 / wellbutrin SR150 combination gives me significantly more energy than before (although I'm not cured from ADHD brainfog and lack of executive functioning / motivation) - so that is a good thing. Yesterday I felt overstimulated, a bit hot in the face, got some palpitations - that got me scared that the dose is too much. Today I'm feeling fine and actually getting some minor things done, too. So I'm hopeful.

Do you remember what your slightly elevated TSH level was? Mine was JUST 2.3 at the beginning so most doctors wouldn't touch it. Mine did and, as I said before, I'm hopeful, I really wish this to last.

ideaman
10-22-11, 07:44 AM
P.S. having an elevated TSH inspite of T4/T3 being normal is considered (at least it's all over the internet) to be a symptom of subclinical hypothyroidism, so that original doctor might have had a reason to treat you. Maybe your dose was too high to start with and then you had no follow-ups. (They normally want to see you and draw your blood monthly until your levels stabilize - and even then things might fluctuate seasonally.)

ideaman
10-22-11, 07:47 AM
P.S.S. I noticed you had problems with generic buproprion. I have read all over the place that this generic is a bad choice for many people. You may want to try again with brand name Wellbutrin.

electric76
10-31-11, 10:34 AM
Its always mood swingy the first weeks of increasing. The first day or two is fantastic, then I get really irritable and down (I also think of really dark and disgusting things by accident), the second week I really feel the stimulant, the third week I'm down but not so bad as at first, and finally I feel normal.

I'm up to 450 now, but not really feeling the Wellbutrin. I've been taking it for a long time so I sometimes wonder if 600mg would be safe for me. I mean, I don't even mind cigarette smoke for example...usually it kills me when I'm on this medication. Think I have a serious tolerance.