View Full Version : Does a child have to be born with ADD or....?

msmedieval
09-19-11, 07:18 AM
Sorry if this has been been asked before, my searching skills suck & I haven't found anything like this in the forum.

So my question is: Can a person/child get ADD at the age of 10 (for example) or is it something a person is born with?

Thanks in advance!

Sam I Am
09-19-11, 08:18 AM
By current diagnostic criteria:

- symptoms must be present before age 7.

BUT, that does not have any bearing on age at diagnosis, whether younger or older.

There are many people here who were not diagnosed until later in life, but in retrospect the symptoms were present in early childhood.
The presence of ADHD symptoms may still be missed or dismissed, particularly when symptoms are not "disruptive" to others and become more obvious and challenging as school work becomes more difficult and school life requires more from the students, in terms of changing rooms, having correct books from a locker etc, etc. This may happen around age 10.

If a child suddenly starts having symptoms at age 10, with no previous symptoms, then that would suggest that it is not ADHD/ADD.

Further medical investigation should be done to look for other causes for the same symptoms.
Thought should also be given to life changes - parental separation, moving home/school, bullying and worse.

happytexas
09-19-11, 10:33 AM
Yes, it is something you are born with but...

...as pp said, symptoms can be missed or dismissed until they interfere with a person's functioning to the point that they become obvious to others. This seems particularly true with ADHD Primarily Inattentive, where a person may be labeled as spacey/lazy, etc; hyperactive symptoms ("boy style") are just more obvious and usually more disruptive.

Often Inattentives "hit a wall" around 4/5th grade (about 10yrs old) where their coping mechanisms cannot keep up with what is expected of them. At this point there may be the complicating factor of puberty.

msmedieval
10-09-11, 02:43 AM
I don't doubt this is ADHD. I don't remember having difficulty before 10 but I was always called lazy, unmotivated, etc...

I'll ask my parents if there were any signs they remember, I played & ran around a lot but then again, all kids did that. Thank you for your replies!