View Full Version : Sleep Apnea

nwbucket
09-22-11, 01:07 PM
So I have noticed recently how so many people are trying to pass judgement on other members on whether or not they have ADD, and how sever it may be......

So I may be in the minority but I can care less if I have or do not have ADD, I care about trying to work on the symptoms that cause me duress.

At any rate wanted to mention that last night I had a sleep test at the hospital and it turns out I have severe sleep apnea. I stop breathing 20 times a minute.

Although I only slept about 3 hours with the machine, I feel more rested, and a little more mentally there than I have in a while.

Anyone else have sleep problems. If so are you always tired during the day? If so you may want to check this out as an issue.

Hopefully this will help me, as I am sure it impacts the severity of my symptoms.

sarahsweets
09-22-11, 01:12 PM
Well in regards to judgemment from other members about your adhd I can only think of *two * off the top of my head. My hubby has narcolepsy which also comes with sleep paraylisis so he can be very tired most days.

nwbucket
09-22-11, 02:34 PM
I apologize if that seemed judgmental, and in retrospect I can see that it may have been.

I am sure that most people here are not her to judge but seek support. I am sorry if it came off that way.

ginniebean
09-22-11, 02:36 PM
Sleep apnea will definitely impact adhd symptoms and make them much worse. Sleep apnea CAN mimic ADHD.

Glad you're getting help too!

ADHDTigger
09-22-11, 02:39 PM
NW, I honestly can't recall the last time I slept well. It has to be over three years ago. I haven't laid down to sleep in two years.

I know from the deterioration in my health that my inability to sleep- my pulmonologist calls it "hyper vigilance"- is on the list of NOT HELPFUL things in my life.

My sleep issues are both different and the same as what you are experiencing. I have had persistent insomnia for ages and now have both trained insomnia- I was my husband's caregiver for over a year- and my own medical issues that make breathing, and therefore sleep, a challenge.

Have they discussed using CPAP with you? If you can use it, I know it can help.

As far as the whole judging others goes, that isn't my job. I think everyone is doing the very best they can. Ain't none of this easy...

PinkRoxy
09-22-11, 02:49 PM
I usually just take a mersyndol or any other sleeping tablet, but oxybutynin seems to help even though a whole tablet of that is too strong for me. But taking a tablt tends to help with sleep.

I'm sorry to hear about your sleep apnea nwbucket I hope things get sorted for you.

Canuck223
09-22-11, 08:41 PM
CPAP is swell.

crimsonking19
09-23-11, 06:50 PM
I haven't been officially diagnosed with sleep apnea (4 hours to see a doc) but my gf confirms my nighttime symptoms and both my parents have it... being slightly overweight certainly doesn't help lol. But I notice it really does exacerbate the ADHD symptoms most of the time.

selita
09-23-11, 07:05 PM
My bf and another friend use CPAP machines and they've made a huge difference for them both. I don't think I could tolerate one. I move around too much and noise bothers me a lot.

I've had positional sleep apnea for most of my life and choke as I fall asleep if I lie on my back. I also have hypnic jerks.

So basically I'll be lying there, real comfy, 99% asleep, and suddenly I'm falling to my death and violently coughing. Fun times!

I sleep on my side or stomach as a result. It's a little hard on my neck but better than nothing. If I can fall asleep at a reasonable hour, I usually wake rested.

Driver
09-23-11, 11:02 PM
I was diagnosed with super-duper-mega-ultra-awesomely-bad sleep apnea: I'd stop breathing 120 times per hour. So yeah, I wasn't sleeping well.

CPAP treatment has brought that done to < 1 apnea events per hour, so I'm sleeping infinity better.

As for the ADHD, it certainly improve things somewhat getting treatment, but it by no means cured it. I still do ADD'isms, I'm just wide awake and alert when I do them now.

Retromancer
09-23-11, 11:53 PM
Waiting until I become eligible for Medicare in March so I can have a sleep study done. Sleep apnea can definitely make your AD(H)D symptoms worse -- and no amount of stimulants can make up for a lack of sleep.

Canuck223
09-24-11, 04:37 PM
I was diagnosed with super-duper-mega-ultra-awesomely-bad sleep apnea: I'd stop breathing 120 times per hour. So yeah, I wasn't sleeping well.

CPAP treatment has brought that done to < 1 apnea events per hour, so I'm sleeping infinity better.

As for the ADHD, it certainly improve things somewhat getting treatment, but it by no means cured it. I still do ADD'isms, I'm just wide awake and alert when I do them now.

I hear you. When I got the results of my sleep study, the doctor said anything over 40 was severe apnea. I was also above 120. In 6 hours asleep, I only had 3 periods of less than 5 minutes below level 3.