View Full Version : Really Need Advice

ByStarlight
09-23-11, 09:44 AM
I hope there is someone on here who can offer some advice..

I was just prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150ml yesterday, and after the initial appointment I went to the pharmacy to get my prescription filled. Well, after punching in some numbers from my insurance card, the pharmacist informs me that my insurance will not pay for this med. I am supposed to be taking one a day for two weeks, then two a day for the remaining week until I see my psychiatrist again on the 13th of October.

My problem is, this med is really expensive without insurance. I went ahead and paid for it yesterday since it wasn't covered, but I sincerely hope that this is not what I am going to be expected to do every time I get a prescription, because I can't afford it. I want to inform my doctor of this and ask her if she can work with my insurance to find a med that they cover, and that works for me. But, I don't know how to go about doing this. I am concerned that she is going to say that she can't help me, and I'll have to shell out piles of money for something that I'm not even sure is going to work anyway.

I have until the 13th when I see her again, and the plan was to move me up to 250ml, but I am now wondering if I should call her beforehand, or wait until my appointment. I do really hope that she is open to other med options that are covered, and if so I feel like it's kind of pointless to wait the month out on something I won't be able to continue taking. If I have to switch to something different ideally I would not want to have to go through any weird side effects. Anyone with an idea of what I should do? Sorry for the huge amount of text by the way. :o

KronarTheBlack
09-23-11, 09:51 AM
Call them and explain your predicament. If they are not sympathetic to your case they never will be and you should find another doctor who is.

Old School MBD
09-23-11, 09:52 AM
Most doctors are sensitive to the financial costs associated with meds they are prescribing.

I would call ahead of appt. And let them know there is financial hardship with the med as prescribed. That way they can think of alternattives or "work magic" on getting you covered as prescribed.

You should be able to log on to the insurance web site foor a list of covered meds.

Cheap alternatives exist......my month supply guanfacine is only $13.99 usdollars

Old School MBD
09-23-11, 10:00 AM
Guanfacine is generic for intuniv

sbcy
09-23-11, 06:34 PM
Just curious, how much was it w/out insurance? Even after insurance I'm paying $120 for 450mg /day because i have to have 1 bottle of 300mg and 1 of 150mg ($60x2). I asked my insurance how much it would be per bottle if i just wanted a 2 week supply and they gave me the same price as a 1 month supply!! Wtf

buddy
09-23-11, 06:50 PM
I have run into the same thing with one of the meds that I take.It's too expensive for me to pay & there is no generic.My psychiatrist started me on this med. by giving me samples that he gets from the salesmen of the company that manufactures the drug.
The doctor would give me enough of the samples each month when I saw him.That continued for several months.I now get the med for free from the manufacturer for free, by joining in their prescription patient assistance program.Because I meet the financial requirements I am able to get my med for free.It is sent directly to me thru the mail every 90days.I'm not sure who makes Wellbutrin but perhaps they have something similar?Best of luck to you.

Spacemaster
09-23-11, 06:56 PM
As a pharmacy technician I run into this problem all the time. I don't know how other pharmacies operate, (we're an independent store) but if something isn't covered for a patient and they can't afford it, we send a fax to the prescribing doctor, asking for an alternative. The patient doesn't need to do a thing. It wouldn't hurt to ask your pharmacy if they would do that.

nwbucket
09-23-11, 07:09 PM
Not too sure what the side effects are of stopping that, but my concern would be starting something to begin with that you know you cant afford.

If you have not already begun taking it, personally I would see what your dr says. In my opinion "I am not a Dr." starting something that you know you wont be able to continue does not make a whole lot of sense......

ByStarlight
09-24-11, 12:41 PM
Thank you guys so much for the advice. I went ahead and called the dr's office and they said they would fax something to the pharmacy for me. The pharmacy called me and said that the "prior authorization" from my insurance company went through.. it was a message they left on my phone so I am going to call them back today to figure out exactly what that means :p. But I'm pretty sure it means I'm at least good to go for future prescriptions.

On a side note.. does anyone know how long it actually takes for Wellbutrin to kick in? I've read some things from other people saying that they didn't really notice anything, or that they started to feel different, "clearer" but then it went away. I am only on my fourth day of taking it, 150ml once a day for two weeks and then twice a day for the remaining week until my next appointment.

I want to be patient, but I was just curious of how long it might take to notice anything. I have a feeling that this really isn't the right medication for me, but I want to be open and trusting of my Dr. This might be a stupid thought, but I am worried that if these meds do nothing that she will just give up on me. :confused:

ByStarlight
09-24-11, 12:43 PM
Just curious, how much was it w/out insurance? Even after insurance I'm paying $120 for 450mg /day because i have to have 1 bottle of 300mg and 1 of 150mg ($60x2). I asked my insurance how much it would be per bottle if i just wanted a 2 week supply and they gave me the same price as a 1 month supply!! Wtf

$141.50 for a 30 day supply of Wellbutrin XL 150ml. Have no idea how much my insurance will actually be paying for in the future..

aarondev
09-25-11, 05:10 AM
So Wellbutrin will take 3 weeks before real impact comes in any positive form, but I've been told 6 weeks for a proper judgement. And then that gets reset to every few weeks when you increase on dose.

You didn't mention WHY you were prescribed this. If its for ADD, there are other far quicker medical remedies like stimulants.

But another poster offered Intuniv as an alternative. This is true that its out there for ADD at the moment. And you can 'feel' a difference within a day, with probably a 'judgement period' of about 2 weeks if you really needed. But the poster is incorrect, in that Guanfacine is not the same as Intuniv. The latter is the formulation for ADD, the former for what its previous main use was of blood pressure control. They aren't the same necessarily.

Anyway, your doctor in the US will definitely not tell you that they cannot assist you. There are PLENTY of options for anti-depressants. Between SSRIs and TCAs, you've got about 20 choices I would think. And then there are the generic alternatives which impact people differently. And then people also combine different types.

But like I say, you don't specify why you were given this. So I can't speak to alternatives really, apart from Intuniv or other formulations of Wellbutrin; you ought to be able to get the generic through your insurance, I'd think. Or maybe like another poster said look at patient-assistance programs for the co.

ByStarlight
09-25-11, 10:30 AM
She prescribed it to me for ADHD. I've read a lot in the past few days about other people being prescribed this for the same reason. I thought it was odd at first, but from what others are saying often doctors don't like to prescribe stimulants right away because of the addictive qualities. And apparently bupropin has some of the same ingredients that can alieviate ADHD symptoms, although a lot of people are saying that from their experience not nearly as much as a stimulant. I'm giving it a chance and if it doesn't help then I'm just going to tell her that it isn't working for me. I appreciate you saying that she wouldn't just say she couldn't help me. It might have been a stupid question to ask, but this is the first psychiatrist I have seen for these issues so I have zero experience.

Sorry I didn't specify originally why I was prescribed this med. I tend to overlook the details and forget to mention things.