View Full Version : How do I fry an egg over hard with out screwing up???

sbcy
09-23-11, 03:08 PM
When ever I try to fry an egg it spreads out all over the pan and ends up way too thin. Also, the yoke is often not very cooked when the white part is turning brown. What should I do??? I am so bad at this! lol

BR549
09-23-11, 03:31 PM
Is the yolk breaking when you put it in the pan? Is that what you mean when you say spreading out? Or the whites are spreading out. If it's the whites, you don't have your pan hot enough when you put the eggs in.

It's easier to fry eggs in a non-stick skillet, but any skillet or frying pan will do. The main thing is you want to make sure the pan is just big enough to hold what you are cooking.

Heat the pan/skillet on medium. You don't want the pan too hot, but you don't want it too cool. If a few drops of water flicked into the skillet/pan sizzle and dance for a moment, it's ready. Add a few teaspoons of oil or butter to the pan. Make sure to melt the butter, but not let it turn brown. The oil shouldn't be smoking either. You can use animal fat as well, if that's what you like.

Crack the egg(s) into a small bowl, one that can hold one or two eggs at a time. Gently pour the egg(s) into the pan, making sure the whites hit the pan first. *I sometimes just crack my into the pan. The only bad thing about doing it this way is if you get a bad egg. You'll have to clean the pan and start over.* If the pan is hot enough, the whites will start to set immediately, so they won't run all over your pan.

Just let them sit for a bit and cook. You don't need to do a whole lot. If you use animal fat like bacon or sausage grease in your pan, some people take the spatula and gently flick the grease onto the egg for flavor. This can help to cook the top of the eggs. I've never mastered that particular technique, but my grandmother did it when she fried eggs. It kept the yolks runny and allowed her to turn them over without the yolk breaking.

The egg is done when the whites are set and firm and the the edges of the egg are just beginning to curl. You'll notice that the whites will not look opaque or be runny either. If the edges of the egg are cooking faster than the whites, you can put a lid over them for a few moments.

If you want your yolks runny, when the whites are set, remove from the heat and gently transfer to a plate. If you want firm yolks, when the whites are set (not opaque), gently slide your spatula under the egg and turn the egg over. I usually let the egg cook for a moment (if the yolk doesn't break when I turn it) and then poke the yolk with a fork. I'll cook it for a minute or so until the yolk is firm.

I season them when they are done.

sarahsweets
09-23-11, 04:34 PM
You defiantly have to use heat and a frying pan.

sbcy
09-23-11, 06:27 PM
If it's the whites, you don't have your pan hot enough when you put the eggs in.

Aha that was the problem! Thanks!!

They failed to mention this on the youtube tutorial I had watched.

BR549
09-23-11, 09:40 PM
It turns into a mess if the pans not hot enough! :)

sbcy
09-24-11, 01:17 PM
I tried your suggestions, I let the pan heat up a lot so the butter on it was bubbling but one of the eggs' yolk still spread apart. Then I tried to flip it and it lands folded in half...finally I get it unfolded, then I tried to flip it again and the yolks fly out on to the floor...I think I'm going to just go to Dennys if I want eggs...this is not my thing...

julesjampot
09-24-11, 01:21 PM
The fat was too hot,they dont like that and they split.

Old School MBD
09-24-11, 01:24 PM
I cheat....... I have an electric grilled cheese sandwich maker.......u know.....looks like a waffle iron but makes triangles out of each slice.....

Well lightly grease each triangle....and drop one egg per triangle (mine does 4 at once)

Close lid....cook and enjoy.......

Mmmmmmmmm haven't had breakfast yet.......sounds good.......time to make some!

With easy bacon.....I bake the bacon at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes....no need to turn!

dsvlil1
09-24-11, 01:50 PM
Try using an egg ring.

Redrightnow
09-24-11, 02:17 PM
I started using this method this past summer.

Heat a small skillet med-high. Add butter (or olive oil or margerine or animal fat-- I prefer butter, but often use olive oil. Olive oil heats up faster- burns faster-- which means, I'm more likely to burn the eggs but I like the health benefits)

Crack the egg into the skillet. Add about a tablespoon of water to the skillet. Turn the heat down to med-low, cover and cook for 1 minute.

Do you like sunnyside up? It's done after a minute. If you like medium easy (solid yolk)- after 1 minute, flip it over and cook another 30-60 seconds.

Take it off the heat and add salt and pepper, to taste.

syrella
05-24-12, 12:10 PM
I find that cooking an egg slowly over low heat works pretty well. I don't like the yolk runny, so I just leave it on for awhile. If you have a non stick pan + butter / cooking spray and a nice wide spatula, it shouldn't be too hard to flip.

MX2012
05-24-12, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, very interesting. All good advice.

I, too, struggle to cook the simpliest things.

I would add one thing, if my eggs are breaking in the skillet when I try to turn them, I resort to a Big spatula to make sure I can flip the whole egg and the surrounding whites.

ana futura
05-24-12, 01:14 PM
I like my lodge cast iron round griddle for such things, with a thin and sharp edged metal turner.

A nice thin metal turner makes flipping things much easier. Those thick nylon things you have to use with non stick pans suck.

A lodge griddle is like 14$ at target, it's best breakfast tool I own. Great for pancakes.

salleh
05-24-12, 01:42 PM
I had to laugh reading this ....the thing to do is pick a method that you can ALMOST pull off, and the practice practice practice ......Cooking eggs is a skill, and takes time to get right, and you have to start over if you use a different pan

....so pick one small pan and use it only for eggs.....get a new one, and only eggs ...paint the handle or something .....

.....when I was just really starting as a professional cook, I could not get the hang off flipping eggs in the pan just using the quick motion of picking the pan up and giving it a flick ......I practiced with slices of bread ...flipping them over and over .....

....I got to the point where I could do it most of the time .....but pressure would send all my hard earned skill out the window ....and one day one of the big bosses came in for breakfast, ( I was working at Penny's the dept store) ...and wanted eggs over easy.....YIKES the very hardest of all .....a gentle touch was essential, and it was all too easy to mess it up .....

...WEll, I started to break yolks ....one in each set of two .....I must have gone through about 3 flats of eggs trying to get 2 unbroken over easies......the waitress, a "seasoned" and slightly crusty ole gal, was telling the executive....."oh She's almost caught the chicken now, won't be long ....." .....but I finally triumped and sent out a perfect duo of over easy eggs......

.....flipping bread only takes you so far, eventually you just gotta break some yolks to learn ......

..and that holds true for any method of cooking eggs you use ......

Sandy4957
05-24-12, 04:21 PM
Butter. Lots of it. Or bacon fat in similar quantities. :D

Heat, only a little of it. Unless you're quite a pro, low and slow will get you a more tender egg.

Fresh eggs. The whites spread when the eggs are older. When they're very fresh, the eggs will hold a shape and only a little white will spread.

I'm not a real pro like Salleh, so I turn eggs with a spatula. You want to lift them and slide them around a little before you try to turn them. That way you can sense it when the one side is done enough to tolerate the flip. And then when you go to do the flip, lift the edge of the egg just a little, slide your spatula under the little bit of edge, then quickly slide the spatula all the way under the yolk before you flip.

Spacemaster
05-24-12, 05:15 PM
It's all in the wrist...

I like to sometimes splash a bit of water to the pan's cover and let it steam the egg a little while.