View Full Version : Testing, and more testing, still no improvement. Help?

wendyg123
09-26-11, 12:00 AM
I am a 49 yo, adoptive mom (single for 8 years) of a 10 yo daughter. She was placed with us at birth, taken from her bio parents, mom used drugs during pregnancy. Much of bio family has hx of mental/drug issues, ODD, ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc. She has always shown signs of figidityness, impatience, lack of focus, and major defiance. Overall a very happy and intelligent child, no depression per say, a bit overweight. She has some difficulty/anxiety falling asleep, snores, and often awakes with nightmares.

When she was 7, her pediatrician dx her with ADHD. At 8 yo she began Concerta with good results for schooltime, currently at 54 mg, and sees a LCSW 1wk at school. Last year we saw a pediatric neuropsychiatrist for six months, who would offer no other alternatives until a neuropsych evaluation was completed, and of which we are still on a waiting list for.

Because of her inutero hx, we and her pediatrician are reluctant to rx any other medications, at this time. Feeling that we are at a stalemate with conventional methods, we began seeing a naturopathic doctor in August, who began by prescribing her vitamins and supplements to beef up her immune and neurological systems. The ND also ordered a test to determine her neurotransmitter levels (urine), and any possible food allergens (blood). According to the lab results, all 10 of the neurotransmitters are "elevated" and two, Epidephrine and Glutamate, were indicated as 'off the chart'. The food allergen results showed a high sensitivity to dairy. Note: our pediatrician is doubtful of these results because the 'conventional' symptoms (high blood pressure, accelerated heart rate, rash, etc.) are not present. The ND has instructed us to eliminate all dairy from her diet, and gave her a remedy known as 'Stramonium'. (We are also considering the elimination of food dyes). It has been two weeks since the above treatments, with continued use of Concerta on school days, and still no change.

Tomorrow we have an appt. with an ENT dr, via our pediatrician, who will evaluate her constant post-nasal drip, throat clearing, and tight airway. We are also going to request a sleep study, as we suspect she may not be getting sufficient sleep necessary to refuel her very active mind/body.

Although she is able to handle school life pretty well despite her defiance and difficulty with peers, her attitude and behavior at home continues to be rude, manic, explosive, and defiant. Even with much love, stability, positive reinforcement & firm discipline/expectations, homelife is tense and unhappy, and our outings/visitors are limited because of the stresses evoked from her behaviors. We are running out of resources trying to find the missing link(s) that will bring our daugher, and our family, some sense of calmness and normalcy. I realize that our daughter is complex and much is unknown, and perhaps incurable/genetic. We are struggling, running out of options and patience, and life seems to be onhold, still. Please advise if you can. Thank you.

full_throttle
09-27-11, 04:53 AM
Welcome. I hope you find the answers you need and I applaud you for determination to find treatment for your daughter. I have very little knowledge so I can't give you any advice, but you should post this in Children's Diagnosis & Treatment forum more people maybe able to respond and offer some knowledgable advice.

LynneC
09-27-11, 09:32 AM
Hi and welcome! Please check your private messages for a messsage from me! :)

Lunacie
09-27-11, 09:58 AM
I highly recommend checking out a thread called Dizfriz's Corner. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130)

One interesting link there is to information from Dr. Russell Barkley on
The 30% Rule - concerning the effect ADHD has on social, emotional
and other skills in a child with ADHD, leaving them about 30% behind
their peers. So your 10 year old would be more like a 7 year old in
these areas. It can be a lot of pressure for such a child to try to live
up to those expectations when their brains are simply not capable.

Lots of other great information in that thread as well.

sarahsweets
09-27-11, 10:11 AM
Have you considered any other medications?

LynneC
09-27-11, 10:25 AM
Tomorrow we have an appt. with an ENT dr, via our pediatrician, who will evaluate her constant post-nasal drip, throat clearing, and tight airway. We are also going to request a sleep study, as we suspect she may not be getting sufficient sleep necessary to refuel her very active mind/body.

This really does sound like an allergy of some sort. How long have you been eliminating the dairy?

ccom5100
09-27-11, 10:26 AM
The ND has instructed us to eliminate all dairy from her diet, and gave her a remedy known as 'Stramonium'. (We are also considering the elimination of food dyes). It has been two weeks since the above treatments, with continued use of Concerta on school days, and still no change.

You will not see an instant change with the ND protocol, it takes time and patience. Dealing with these issues is like peeling an onion - there are so many layers. Stick with it and keep looking for answers. We've gone the alternative route, in conjunction with using adhd meds. I am raising my 12 year old grandson whose mom also was a substance abuser. I believe that the meds have their place in addressing the current situation, but you need to go deeper if you want to address the causes for the current situation.

We saw an ND for over a year and followed his protocol. We follow the Feingold Program, which eliminates petro chemicals from his diet (artificial colors, artificial flavors, certain preservatives); we use mineral supplements and fish oil supplements, and he also has been doing neurofeedback. All of these interventions have helped. He only needs 1mg of Tenex 2x/day, to control his symptoms. He's come a long way from the child who was asked to leave three daycares by the time he was 3 years old.