View Full Version : ADHD Article in National Post (Canada)

namazu
09-26-11, 11:19 AM
I came across this article in the National Post today by the director of CADDAC:
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/09/26/heidi-bernhardt-adhd-should-be-taken-seriously/

It's a rebuttal to an earlier piece that I didn't actually see, but it does a nice job of disseminating good information and combatting misinformation.

Dizfriz
09-26-11, 11:51 AM
Here is the original article to which she was responding: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/09/19/george-jonas-diagnosis-attention-surfeit-disorder/

What is frustrating are the comments on both articles. This is the ignorance that all too many parents of ADHD kids face and what Barkley and so many others here and elsewhere fight against. This is one of the main values to this forum in my mind.

Dizfriz

pechemignonne
09-26-11, 12:19 PM
The National Post commentators can bite my bottom.

Hathor
09-26-11, 05:50 PM
Ironic that his closing paragraph can be seen as giving the reason for the ignorance in the original article (and the comments)

Most of us expect our grandchildren to know more than we do. This leads some of us to believe we know more than our grandparents. Do we? Yes, we do, about satellite-navigation and knee-surgery. About many other things, we don’t. About ourselves, for instance, we probably know less.

Lunacie
09-26-11, 06:08 PM
From the original article, author George Jonas:

Many of us had ADD when I was young, only we didnít know it. They called us spoiled brats, not sick kids.

I've said this before and I'll keep saying it, I'd rather be called a sick
kid/adult (real medical disorder) than be called a spoiled brat, or lazy,
or stupid, or crazy. Those are the labels that cause emotional and
psychological harm, set us up to believe we're failures who simply
need to "try harder" and somehow it's all our fault.

The response by Heidi Bernhardt was excellent. :)

Canuck223
09-26-11, 07:05 PM
On the whole, George Jonas is a very good writer with a knack for cutting through the BS and geting to the heart of the subject.

In this article, I think it's regretable that he's diluted and merged somewhat seperate issues. However, it's understandable, as it's frankly the secret fear of many parents.

We need to remind ourselves that our kids needs skills (and sometimes pills). If George is concerned that too often we're pushing the pills as an alternative to proper parental behaviour modeling, well maybe there is a grain of truth to it. Unfortunately it's the same fear that keeps kids in need from the meds that might help.

The reply from CADDAC was well done.