View Full Version : First therapy session <m>

Essy
09-21-04, 09:40 PM
I had my first therapy session today and I'm feeling a little bit of a let down. Is this normal? Does it usually take a little while to connect to someone? What should I expect from a therapy session?

charlie
09-21-04, 10:27 PM
Essy,
I've had only one more session than you, I'm still waiting for a good feeling;)
My psychiatrist describes it as work. Sure ain't no vacation, that's fer sure.

How long was your first session? Mine was an hour and a half. I was so rattled that I couldn't find words after and embarrassed myself at a work meeting.
It was suggested that I give myself a little time after a session to just relax or treat myself.
I'm also told that it's a good sign that my brain feels a little rattled.

If it were just a comfy chat, like with friends I'd stay the way I am, and that's not what I'm going for.

Counselor is pretty direct, doesn't waste time, gets to the point and makes suggestions. We've agreed on a plan each session, sort of like homework.

The only problem in my case is I've seemingly soooo much work to DO and I've waited soo long to get help it's overwhelming.

Were you able to talk about all the things you wanted to?

exeter
09-21-04, 11:35 PM
How long does it normally take you to connect to someone who's not your therapist?

I wouldn't really expect to feel better right away. Just think of what therapists would charge if they could cure you after 1 session. :D

Seriously, though, what are you in therapy for? ADD? depresson? anxiety? something else? It sounds like maybe anxiety or depression. Anxiety tends to be a more chronic thing and takes longer to improve than depression does. If you're getting therapy for your ADD and hoping that helps your anxiety/depression, I would think (in my not so professional opinion) that would probably take longer still.

With my therapist, I knew I'd be sticking with him after the first real session. By real, I mean the first session that didn't involve taking a history and finding out what the hell I was in therapy for. :D Basically, it amounted to I thought he was a good guy and therefore it was worth giving him a shot as my therapist. Now, after a couple months, I'm thinking I'm sticking with him for good, or at least until I'm cured or move too far away. :D

mctavish23
09-29-04, 10:31 PM
Therapy is more "art" than science in that rapport is everything.Give it a few more sessions to see if u feel comfortable and whether or not you think the feedback you're getting is helpful. If not, bring it up and then see how that goes.

Therapy is also a "two way street" in terms of the client doing their fair share to complete any homework assignments or actively participate,etc.Also, the particular orientation/ style or therapeutic techniques used can give you somewhat of a hint as to what to expect. For example, if you're looking for acute crisis/ brief therapy then a psychodynamic (Freudian) therapist is probably not a good match.:)

hollyanne
01-09-05, 04:07 PM
I felt the same way too!!! Ive never need to a psych before so I had no clue on what to expect. But i though everything would be better after this one session. Ya i was wrong. I left feeling like wow i just waisted a hundred bucks, i learned more from talking with friends with ADD than anything from that dr.
I have my next apt tomorrow to test me for my ADD, which i know i have and it wont be a shock when he tells me that i have it. But it he says i DONT. then i'll be upset. but i dont really know what happeneds from there...

Scattered
01-10-05, 04:49 AM
I think how you feel after your first session has to do with two things mainly. First what were your expectations going in to therapy. Secondly how you connected with your therapist. I started counseling about 7 weeks ago and it was an instant connection with my therapist. I've seen others in the past that I didn't connect with. You might want to give your therapist a few more tries, but you should begin to develop a connection soon and have something happen that feels like help or I'd look elsewhere. I worked as a counselor myself and not every combination of people work well together. Good luck!

Scattered

JessieGirl1
02-24-05, 02:48 PM
I need to know from any of you, did you all have to go through therapy in order to get on medications for your ADD or ADHD? The reason I am asking is, I go to a reg Dr. this next week and I am planning on asking for Concerta or what ever . I know I have ADHD, but I have never been diagnosed with it. I don't have a job now and I have no medical Ins. So thats why I am alittle nervous about getting started and then the costs of all this. Can you give me any idea of what to expect. Thanks!

livinginchaos
03-04-05, 12:42 AM
I highly highly highly suggest that you get diagnosed by a psychiatrist who has experience with people who have ADD. They can best help you treat your AD/HD (and evaluate you for it).

When going to a doctor who has experience with ADD they can best prescribe a med that has worked well with people who are similar to you. That way, you may not have to putz with meds as much.
They can help you deal with various symptoms of AD/HD.
Medication is great (I've been on medication since I was diagnosed) but it doesn't solve everything.

JessieGirl1
03-04-05, 03:33 PM
Hi! Thank You for your advice. This is the 1st site-group who has ever took time out to reply to me. I sure do welcome your advice and I have the feeling that is the route I will end up having to take. I am starting at our Community College next month in Adult Education courses and I am, scared, because I need to get on some meds to help me get started with these courses and then help me to get into the learning mode.I am getting into the Home Health Care field. I haven't been back to school since 1989.
But thank you again, for taking the time to read my post and for your time and sending me your advice. G/B JessieGirl1