View Full Version : Do big crowds and their noise bother you

PinkRoxy
09-27-11, 03:30 PM
Tbh I never actually thought about it.
Sometimes I love it and I get hyped up and alot of energy from it.

But I have noticed too that it tends to get me grumpy and more frustrated and sometimes I just want to escape from big crowds. I have thought about it and think that big crowds sets my anxiety off through the roof.

I cant concentrate on things when its really noisey.

Here is an example I hate working at the pools during the summer its too busy and too noisey and I kind of go into shut down because I dont want to have to deal with the fact that I am responsible for all these people. I know that sounds bad but its the truth.

I hate crowded buses, a long line to the toilet (mainly because of my bladder issues though) anywhere where it is crowded and I cant move freely through the crowd.

I'm not scared of it it just makes me grumpy and and puts me in a very bad mood.

Does anyone else get this too?

sarek
09-27-11, 03:40 PM
Yes, me too. In a crowd or in any noisy place like a pub there are simply too many impulses coming my way and i cant process them all.
I can not focus on what people are saying to me and I cant get the words out that I want to say to them. So I basically go into semi catatonic mode.

sarahsweets
09-27-11, 03:43 PM
I hate crowds. I turn into a deer in headlights.

anonymouslyadd
09-27-11, 03:45 PM
If I'm not keeping busy, yes.

Kimmy1
09-27-11, 04:25 PM
Crowds irritate me.
I wouldn't mind being above the crowd and observing, but not in the middle of them.

Crazygirl79
09-27-11, 04:27 PM
YES, YES YES....

Selena

ADDisme2010
09-27-11, 05:20 PM
Yes, anything too overstimulating bothers me, a lot!

buddy
09-27-11, 06:51 PM
Yes, I definitely get anxiety/panic attacks when there is a noisy crowd.

fracturedstory
09-27-11, 07:09 PM
I either get angry, scream, snap at people. In most severe cases I throw and punch things.

Most cases my brain and body will completely shutdown. I'm still conscious, but I'm not there. I still have thoughts but they're very slow. My senses dull and every day objects seem very interesting and I'll slowly flap my hands.

In noisy places I usually wear ear plugs or listen to my iPod. If not I stim like crazy and make a lot of sounds to show people I'm stressed out.

Sometimes when I get stressed out, even in the home, my imagination will take over and a dumb smile will cross my face as I stare and listen to my favourite dead folk singer who is sitting on a chair opposite me. That is also possibly a shutdown.

eclectic beagle
09-27-11, 07:15 PM
Yes, they bother me. I become over-stimulated. I think this symptom itself can cause depression and anxiety.

Phrazzled
09-28-11, 09:30 AM
Crowds. Also something about the social dynamic of more than three people at a table. I enjoy talking but not when it gets competitive. Part of ADD I think is being unable to filter out stuff that's just white noise to other people. On some level we're trying to make sense of things that shouldn't be bothered with. Not bad when you're in the woods and you're hearing and noticing stuff other people aren't but it's no good in cacophony.

Celeste
09-28-11, 09:54 AM
I know some therapists used to think I was scared of crowds, but I'm not. It's just the noise and the large amount of people. Like, when I got to the supermarket, I become so overstimulated, it's like people become objects and they keep getting in the way, I can't focus, it's like people are talking extra loud and all the noise goes right through my head and that's when I become extremely sensitive to people touching me.

It doesn't make me avoid crowds, but I don't like them either.

Bleh.

sighduck
09-28-11, 10:56 AM
mostly i'll just fade away from the crowd when that happens, ill dissapear into my own mind, ill still be aware of whats going on around me, but none of it will carry any importance. My thought processes also tend to slow down a lot, and i get a massive headache....

so yeah... i hate it

selita
09-28-11, 11:06 AM
I sometimes get annoyed and just want to be away from people, which I've discovered lately is kind of hard to do entirely. Shaaat upppp everyone!!

Other times I don't really care. Especially if I'm with friends to start with. Being alone in a crowd is worse than being with people in a crowd.

danelady
09-28-11, 11:15 AM
Pulse rate quickens,cold sweat,hyperventilate,feet feel like I got cement blocks on them. Angry,impatient,on the defensive,like everyone is against me.

danpan
09-28-11, 11:19 AM
The larger the crowd, the better I deal with it. Add enough noise and it becomes too much for me to take in, and then I'm good. But a small crowd where I can make out individual voices really throws me off, because then I start following 6 different conversations on and off, and it really makes me anxious and frustrated.

shysmile
09-28-11, 11:38 AM
I don't mind large crowds at all, I'm actually quite comfortable in them. Enough voices and movement together and I can just tune it all out like one big static hum.

It's more isolated loud yelling or loud talking or obnoxious sounds that I absolutely HATE.

I can start to feel stressed out if I'm in a room with one or two people who want to talk really loudly and energetically. It causes my heart to beat faster as if my body is preparing to either scream or run away. If it didn't look rude I would cover my ears for comfort every time it happened.

PinkRoxy
09-29-11, 12:45 AM
I remember when I use to go to school discos with the loud music and stuff and trying to talk to friends well shout at them and it would drive me nuts trying to have a convo with them, and that is the same now when going clubbing with friends.

THere are times I dont mind crowds but then mostly they put me in a bad mood because I either had to wait while trying to move through the crowd or I other things that cause my impatience to flare up.

soovermyself
09-29-11, 09:30 AM
I have always hated crowds & load noises! I freak at the mall! Even avoid large family events. Think in my research theses feelings are symptoms and signs for add. Even on meds i get annoyed I think of all I could be doing.
Ugh.

TygerSan
09-29-11, 09:57 AM
For me, it really depends on context. Generally, I hate crowds. Too much going on, and everyone's in my personal space. Makes me cranky.

At a concert, I can generally focus on the music, as long as people are not being complete ******* and shoving in front of me.

If it's a rally or a sporting event, if my attention is drawn somewhere, again, I'm ok, but the walk back home can be very trying.

At crowded malls, my brain kind of shuts down, and I just navigate between people, without really thinking about where I am or what I'm doing.

PinkRoxy
09-29-11, 03:22 PM
I have always hated crowds & load noises! I freak at the mall! Even avoid large family events. Think in my research theses feelings are symptoms and signs for add. Even on meds i get annoyed I think of all I could be doing.
Ugh.

I still go to the mall even though I know its crowded but it just peeves me off.
I will go shopping on boxing day the busiest shoppin day of the year, but I will make sure I go at 8am in the morning when the shops first open to hopefully avoid big crowds.

You see my parents hate crowds too and even though they bother me I can deal with them more than they can, I will still go into the crowds I will just get really grumpy by it. I tend to forget how crowded places actually are until I get there then realise.

sarek
09-29-11, 03:28 PM
I hate the mall. Its like a swamp of despair. Noise everywhere, carts everywhere. I would prefer to do all my shopping with a bulldozer if it would just fit in the aisles.

SweetCode
09-29-11, 04:21 PM
I hate the mall. Its like a swamp of despair. Noise everywhere, carts everywhere. I would prefer to do all my shopping with a bulldozer if it would just fit in the aisles.

I only go to malls when there's the minimal amount of people in there , I usually go to the supermarket around 3am and only go to mall in the afternoon during weekdays.

Once I was going to give a speech in a college and it had a lot of people in the college entrance , I was filled with anxiety :( instead of going through it I walked around the people mass. I don't know why I do that :(

But I usually fell comfortable in crowed restaurants , if the "mass" is controlled in some way I fell ok.

also if I am really excited about what is going on like in some rock band show I fell ok in a crowd as long as I am able to get out of the crowd in less than 1 minute.

danelady
09-29-11, 04:49 PM
I hate stores and shopping so much that I kinda delay buying clothes till they are full of holes and falling off.

Last night I went inside the truckstop to use the bathroom and there was a teenage girl standing near the door. All I did was ask her if there was a line going into the stalls and her mother immediately came running up to her daughter and asked her if she was alright.

I figgered it must be time to suck it up,go shopping for some new clothes and get my hair trimmed so I don't look like I just escaped an asylum. I don't really like to look in mirrors so its hard to tell just how bad I'm looking. And Earl never says a thing.

So there is a shopping center next door to the truckstop and I went over and got a haircut and some new shoes and clothes. I went in early enough so most people are working. If this was a Saturday or Sunday there would be no way I could have handled mixing it up with the crowds.

Yeesh,I almost look like I fit in with everybody else. If I'm not careful people will think I'm one of them and try to talk to me.

caylyn
09-29-11, 04:52 PM
I do try to shop during hours when I don't expect the stores to be too busy. If I take my daughter to the mall, she knows we have about 2 hours and I am done. I then have to leave because I find myself becoming short-tempered. And I do not want to be rude to people, but that is the next step.

I can do crowds if I am mentally prepared. Some years, I will do black Friday with my daughter-in-law. But, we both have a list. We hit it hard and get out of there! I know that I can only tolerate those conditions for a few hours.

:)

TygerSan
09-29-11, 05:25 PM
LOL at the shopping stories. My nightmare: Post-holiday sales. I try to avoid them like the plague. They're just not worth the crazed crowds. Unfortunately, not everyone around me agrees. :(

danelady
09-29-11, 09:14 PM
LOL at the shopping stories. My nightmare: Post-holiday sales. I try to avoid them like the plague. They're just not worth the crazed crowds. Unfortunately, not everyone around me agrees. :(

OMG..do you remember when Cabbage Patch dolls were the craze? It was a bloodbath at the malls! :eek:

Book_Addict
09-29-11, 09:34 PM
Things like the DMV and Supemarkets drive me banannas

CoyoteLou
09-30-11, 04:15 AM
I can't stand them. I need headphones and music just to get through a shopping trip. It's not that I hate crowds, but after about a few hours of dealing with a bunch of people I get really drained, and the noise and the movement and everything starts to just scrape at my nerves. I want to scream! I also start getting a larger personal space "bubble" and people invade it, and touch me, and loom over me and make me grumpy and neurotic.

I hate being touched unexpectedly, and I hate people standing too close behind me.

Bummer for me really, because I love comic conventions and am a big fan of amusement parks.

stef
09-30-11, 06:45 AM
It depends, I love the "rush". I love to go to the mall or downtown actually, but alone and when it gets too overwhelming I can just leave. But not in the train, grocery store etc.
I hate when a restauarant or bar is crowded and there's background noise. ADD/softspoken/heavy accent -it's just hopeless!

TygerSan
09-30-11, 09:04 AM
OMG..do you remember when Cabbage Patch dolls were the craze? It was a bloodbath at the malls! :eek:

I *got* a Cabbage Patch Kid doll from my grandmother (heaven knows how she managed to get it). :o

I remember the Beanie Babies. I bought a monkey when they first came out because I thought they were cute. Little did I know that if I had kept the tag on, it was worth something! I tried to get it a gorilla mate (have a whole host of stuffed monkeys), and there was nothing on the shelves. Went to the supermarket the following day, and saw lines of middle-aged women wrapped around the store trying to buy the stock that had just come in. :faint:

danelady
09-30-11, 12:40 PM
I *got* a Cabbage Patch Kid doll from my grandmother (heaven knows how she managed to get it). :o

I remember the Beanie Babies. I bought a monkey when they first came out because I thought they were cute. Little did I know that if I had kept the tag on, it was worth something! I tried to get it a gorilla mate (have a whole host of stuffed monkeys), and there was nothing on the shelves. Went to the supermarket the following day, and saw lines of middle-aged women wrapped around the store trying to buy the stock that had just come in. :faint:

Oh..so that must mean I am old enough to be yer grammy!:rolleyes:

I used to have a pawnshop in Nevada and one of the locals came in to find out about all the stuff his wife was hocking behind his back. Apparently she had a Beanie Baby addiction and was selling off her husband's stuff to be able to afford them! I believe they got a divorce.:(

sighduck
10-21-11, 11:07 AM
my worst are the crowded lecture halls and busses

QuantumIguana
12-05-11, 06:08 PM
It depends on the type of crowd. I can go to a football game and be perfectly comfortable with 50,000 screaming people. That's because it is an organized crowd, I fully understand the routine. But an unorganized crowd, that gives me problems, because I can't tune out things that I don't need to pay attention to. I'm at the farmers market with my wife, it's loud and crowded, and I am trying to keep a toddler from grabbing everything. Then my wife asks a question about what we should buy. The only answer I can possibly give is "I don't know." My brain is full with the crowd and the noise and the child that I am not capable of considering what I might want for dinner that evening.

I don't go to bars because they are crowded, and the people and music are loud. Some people love it, but when I've had to go to a bar, I just sit quietly.

emploding
12-05-11, 06:19 PM
I get overwhelmed in large crowds, my anxiety goes through the roof and I just need to get out, or find a quiet corner to stop and regroup.

Shopping centres often really bother me, I can tolerate it for a while but all of a sudden I'll tip into overload and just need to escape.

There are rallys and marches I'd LOVE to participate in, but the noise and crowds just makes me so uncomfortable that I can't go.

NyraLunaEXE
01-14-12, 03:16 AM
Yes! They do! I hate loud noises generally.

known_guy
01-14-12, 02:48 PM
I once had a major panic attack when I was stuck in a crowd.

pooka
01-14-12, 03:08 PM
I kind of like crowds. I can actually concentrate much better with a lot of background noise than being in a quiet room alone. I love the stimulation and I don't get overwhelmed very easily.

Tonksmom
09-15-12, 03:10 PM
I'm coming very late to this conversation but I really wanted to thank you guys for having it. I was never formally diagnosed with ADD, but some years ago I sought help for some cognitive problems after having chemo, and the doctor thought I probably had it. As time goes by I recognize more and more things that support that.

I've always said I revert to "reptilian mode" in crowds. I try to hide, and if I can't hide, I bite. I get into this "fight or flight" thing. I'm not scared--not a panic problem. Just very, very tense, and the longer I'm forced to tolerate it the more irritable I become. I just went to a wedding party last night and I feel perfectly rotten today, and I'm sure it's in large part because I was so tense all night last night.

All the noise--I can't have a polite conversation because I just can't pay attention. Or else I find one person and just cling to them like a lifeline. I can't mingle--just the thought makes me queasy, and it's ten times worse if I don't know many people there. I had a book come out last year and my publisher nominated me for an award--they told me if my book made the finalist list they'd want me to come to this big three-day awards thing in the spring-- my perfect nightmare--crowds, forced socialization with strangers, etc. I was actually relieved when it didn't make the finals!

I went to a church that had a very active "after worship" thing where everyone crowded into the fellowship hall for snacks and schmoozing. The only way I managed to deal was to volunteer to man the cash register in the little gift shop. Dealing with people one by one, behind the counter so I wasn't smooshed and jostled, made it OK.

Anyway, after last night it finally occurred to me (duh) that my discomfort in crowds might be due to ADD. So I ran a search and voila! Here you guys are confirming it. Now I don't feel quite so dysfunctional. Amazing how much it helps to just understand what's going on, and know it's actually "normal" for others as well. And I shared this with my niece, who also refers to herself as anti-social for similar reasons (I've urged her a few times to see someone and find out if she has ADD because she has all the symptoms too). She almost cried.

So thanks!

Lauralight
12-15-12, 03:08 PM
Sensory overload I believe might be what you are trying to get at here.
Noise pollution is not easy. I tend to want to go into a quiet room for an hour and just close my eyes and give my nerves a rest after experiencing something like this.