View Full Version : My brain isn't processing information and I have to study for a test tomorrow!

sbcy
09-28-11, 10:35 PM
I don't know what to do, I bought some brownies and cup cakes but that will only do so much and I'll feel like **** eventually. Any ideas?! I need to do a good amount of reading and I keep having no clue what I'm reading plus I'm doing this very slowly. Are there any legal over the counter drugs or supplements I could go buy or something?? Caffeine never does anything for me.

i feel like dropping out of school but i don't know what i would do instead since I suck at everything.

anonymouslyadd
09-28-11, 10:37 PM
I don't know what to do, I bought some brownies and cup cakes but that will only do so much and I'll feel like **** eventually. Any ideas?! I need to do a good amount of reading and I keep having no clue what I'm reading plus I'm doing this very slowly. Are there any legal over the counter drugs or supplements I could go buy or something?? Caffeine never does anything for me.

Try exercising rigorously. I can remember running around my school's building before an exam, and it cleared my head.

Good luck on your exam.

Simenora
09-28-11, 10:39 PM
Try exercising rigorously. I can remember running around my school's building before an exam, and it cleared my head.

Good luck on your exam.

spectacular idea.

selita
09-28-11, 10:46 PM
Read at least part of it aloud especially if you're having trouble grasping a sentence here and there. And review any questions at the ends of sections/chapters. And get some sleep. :)

Don't take any wooden nickels :)

tired1823
09-28-11, 10:51 PM
Reading aloud really helped me.

BR549
09-28-11, 11:54 PM
I take notes when I have to study. I read a small section then write down what I've read in my own words. I also discuss it with myself. Well, that sounds weird.

What I do is after I've written down notes on what I've read, I'll read the notes and explain it back to my self out loud.

For instance, if I'm reading about microbursts, I'll take notes on what I'm reading, like I would in a lecture class. Then, I'll review what I've written and talk myself through what I've reviewed. I might say "A microburst is a column of strong, sinking air, blah, blah, blah, different than a tornado, which is a violently rotating blah, blah blah, difference between wet and dry microburst is.... If I put it in my own words, that helps me remember so much more. I can even throw in technical terms if I have to know them as long as I can explain (to myself) what they mean in my own words.

anonymouslyadd
09-29-11, 12:06 AM
Eat a lot of protein. Eat nuts. My career coach told me about this. It can help a little.

sbcy
09-29-11, 01:46 AM
I take notes when I have to study. I read a small section then write down what I've read in my own words. I also discuss it with myself. Well, that sounds weird.

What I do is after I've written down notes on what I've read, I'll read the notes and explain it back to my self out loud.

For instance, if I'm reading about microbursts, I'll take notes on what I'm reading, like I would in a lecture class. Then, I'll review what I've written and talk myself through what I've reviewed. I might say "A microburst is a column of strong, sinking air, blah, blah, blah, different than a tornado, which is a violently rotating blah, blah blah, difference between wet and dry microburst is.... If I put it in my own words, that helps me remember so much more. I can even throw in technical terms if I have to know them as long as I can explain (to myself) what they mean in my own words.
Yeah, I've found this helps when my mind is processing stuff but when I don't even know what I'm reading how can I take notes? It also takes forever already when I don't take notes so I'm debating whether or not to do that in the future...

nwbucket
09-29-11, 07:10 PM
I feel your pain. Although not in school the same thing happens to me at work.

Sorry!

tired1823
09-29-11, 08:22 PM
Blueberries and yogurt... Think those help somehow. Also sobe water with vitamin b for energy.. But dont drink it too late in the day if you have trouble sleeping. It really got my mind going one time. Maybe buy a coffe even if you can't feel caffiene, maybe it actually is helping you think. Idk, just a guess

This is prob after your test. Hope you did well!!

addtention
09-30-11, 01:49 AM
Special brownies juss a ill curious if that's what you were talkin about?

sbcy
10-01-11, 02:53 AM
Special brownies juss a ill curious if that's what you were talkin about?

LMAO, no, I only deal with legal substances. They are special in the sense that Vons brownies are AMAZING. lol

Thanks for the suggestion on the blueberries Alliee, I will give it a shot next time.

Sprinting and sleep deprivation seemed to be the best things for waking up brain. My brain really woke up the other day when I had that test. If I had been able to study I would have aced it most likely...when I thought hard enough I could actually remember some of my notes from a few minutes ago. At first I couldn't but then it would just pop into my head! This rarely happens, if I don't know it REALLY well I won't be focused enough to recall it. I've also been taking alpha gpc and piracetam for a couple days now (didn't take it the day of though) so I'm not sure if those could have had any effect but it seems like that it may have been the sprinting and/or the pressure (I had to go buy a booklet for the test at the school supply store and was almost going to be late). I felt like hopeless crap after the test because I had spent 16+ hours basically to get through like 4-5 pages of reading and notes, this made me kind of ****** off and made me feel like taking charge/determined to be better than everyone. Despite my bad mood I felt extremely focused the rest of the day at my other class until late evening at home when I could feel things slowly going back to "normal".

I could really feel it, it wasn't perfect, my processing was still a little slow but when I was trying to think about something and I became self concious of my thinking..usually my focus on the subject would collapse but I felt like I was able to stay "tuned in". It's kind of like a see-saw balancing...these brief distracting feelings or thoughts will briefly pop into my head and try to rock my focus out of wack but that day I was able to keep the see saw from tipping on either side when I felt for a split second like I was about to lose focus...I didn't. I don't know if that analogy makes any sense but it's how I felt.

ginniebean
10-01-11, 02:56 AM
not going to help for the test tomorrow but CUE cards are your best friend!

sbcy
10-01-11, 07:01 AM
not going to help for the test tomorrow but CUE cards are your best friend!

How do I make cue cards about something I haven't been able to read??

Psychomaze
10-04-11, 03:44 AM
Um... what's the topic that you have to study? Maybe someone can help by pointing you in the right direction in learning more without becoming more fascinated with digging for gold up your nose? Maybe there's a YouTube video or something where you can just let it play in the background? Sometimes just hearing a few key words helps, or something will stick? - I hate reading assignments. I find myself re-reading the same 3-4 lines over and over.

W95.CIH
10-08-11, 12:30 AM
Your heart rate is probably around 55. So to mimic stimulant effects you need to do pushups until you're out of breath and then study for 10 minutes. This will get your heart rate up to 190 and it will slowly go back down. When it's down to 70 it's no good so you gotta start over do more pushups.

rickymooston
10-16-11, 11:50 AM
What is this test in?

The push ups will not help. What will help?

Get interested in the subject
Think high level.
Ask questions.

From one ADHDer to another, you can do it. No stimulation required. You have to overcome your inertia. Make it less boring

Again, caffeine won't help that much. Push ups won't. Doing something will help. what is the most important.

1) short term goals work best
2) top down.

jimmy19880
10-17-11, 05:11 AM
These days I'm not in myself.Who can give some encourage to me?I became interested in the game of WOW.For World of Warcraft players can not only enjoy some fun from the game, more of which can realize some truth.I want to buy buy wow gold (http://www.wly.com/).But some partners gave me some places where can Runescape Gold (http://www.wly.com/gold/Runescape/) or Buy Aion Kinah (http://www.wly.com/gold/Aion-US/).Also,I found some websites that can easily Buy Maple Story Mesos (http://www.wly.com/gold/Maple-Story-US/).Hundreds of players realize the philosophy of life in this wonderful game.Do you agree with me?
SOON TO COME: WARN WINCH, PLOW MOUNT, TIRES(HAVEN'T DECIDED WHAT KIND YET.
|||

97 HARLEY SOFTAIL (RUNNING)(CRASHED)
07 Honda Foreman 500 fm. (SOLD) LONG GONE!!
OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSH0LES, OF COURSE MY ***** DONT STINK!!!

icecreamfiend
10-17-11, 08:49 AM
I know you're probably out of time, but I learned that with an ADD brain, you really have to just go with the flow. You will have your peak mental times, and your droughts, such as described above. Don't push yourself when you just can't think since you won't get anywhere. Really become in tune with how your mind works and when it works best. For me, I noticed I work great in the mornings for the dull, detail-required stuff, and the late evenings is best for any creative work, that's when all the juices start to naturally flow.

So pick and choose your battles, and as someone above posted already, exercise does work too, get up and do some pushups then get back to work. Also, if there is no way around it where I have to get something done, I listen to music and fidget with silly putty. I used to use a stress ball but I found the resistance more distracting than helpful. There are many methods for ADDers to gain some focus, but those are my tricks. Good luck in the future!

rickymooston
10-17-11, 10:31 AM

i feel like dropping out of school but i don't know what i would do instead since I suck at everything.

Hi, it took me 8 years to get through univeristy but I did it without even knowing I had adhd. I found success by trial and error, dropping courses and findinng out that I have good high level thinking skills to make up for other things. While you may feel like you suck at everything, the truth is you probably don't. There are specific things you find harder to do than other people do. Beating yourself up won't help; you need to understand what you are bad at and what u are good at. The better you are at looking at this from a neurral point of
View, the better chance you wl excel at something. Notice I said excel.

You don't need to expect magic. You also have to know when your goals are unrealistic. No genius can learn an entire text book in a day. Sometimes you can wing it. Some courses can be passed without reading the whole book.

Instead of dropping out of school completely, consider doing what I did; drop some courses.

Focus on those courses you either are really interested in or that use more highly level thinking skills. See a guidance councelor.

You might also consider medication; I didn't use it but it helps some people.

For the record, you are not stupid but u have to know yourself.

For example, I failed a staistics course which involved loads of mindless calculations

rickymooston
10-17-11, 11:21 AM
Um... what's the topic that you have to study? Maybe someone can help by pointing you in the right direction in learning more without becoming more fascinated with digging for gold up your nose? Maybe there's a YouTube video or something where you can just let it play in the background? Sometimes just hearing a few key words helps, or something will stick? - I hate reading assignments. I find myself re-reading the same 3-4 lines over and over.

I used to re-read like that. What you can try is reading it once without worrying
Whehter u remembered evry point

Then you try try scimming. Look for key words and highlighted points or
Anything that can lift you away from being stuck on detail level where u are likely
Worse than average.

Big picture summaries, principles etc etc

If you suck at detail work, the best defense is to look for ways to get out of the box, see patterns, etc, etc

It might also help to ask yourself questions before reading. Think about the point of the passage. What sort of things should you find? The more u do this kind of stuff, the
More likely u will get interested and hyper focus.

Also avoid timing yourself. The more you are thinking about how long you take, the less
You are thinking about the passage.

Trust yourself. You get out of it what you get

Your memrory sucks so summarize.

My tools migjt not be your tools but if you try to do things differently you willl develop your own

Think of yourself as a bit of sprinter in a world of marathon runners. Set up mini track runs.