View Full Version : Males co-existing with ED?

stivens
09-29-11, 06:06 PM
Are there any others who have experience with Male ED's and related disorders?

Experiences with Eating Disorder, Depression, Anxiety, AD/HD, Substance Abuse, Therapy, Medications, Recovery and other related topics. . .

Any stories, support or advice is greatly appreciated!

Brief about me -
Young Artist currently seeing a Psychiatrist & Psychologist
Current Dx: Major Depression, Anxiety, Inattentive AD/HD, & Bulimia
Current Rx: Zoloft 100mg, Remeron 30mg, Concerta 54mg and Xanax 1mg as needed (very rarely).

Thanks

Turbo Dave
11-30-11, 11:48 PM
Im not exactly sure if i have an ED or not as I look through all the posts here it all seems really whack the things people do and how depression is so intertwined with eating disorders. but I guess its mostly girls thinking they are not skinny enough (most of them are fine) and then the ones who are like miss piggie and dont have the will power to do anything about it or just dont know how or whatever.

Eating disorders are so strange in the different ways they can occur.

For example, Im a 23 year old male, about 5'11" and weigh 150+ LBS.

My problem (if it even is one) is that I can gain 10 lbs in just 2 weeks easily, and then lose that ten pounds maybe a week later. Every time I go to my doctors office (My new doctor once a week as of the last few months) I weigh a signficant difference than the week before.

I find it impossible to maintain a "weight" and will be anywhere from 146 - 165 on any given month.

I've been diagnosed with everything but that diagnoses was sometimes from very cheap non-english speaking doctors lol i definately am ADD.

I have serious problem though with binge eating... at least i think. Maybe not.

Its just that sometimes I like to eat and so for a whole weak Ill just pig out because I will usually start to feel like a meth addict on a binge (been on adderral for years and just switched to dexadrine) The medication doesn't actually effect me so that I can't eat but it does make me burn fat faster and I do get skinny very fast if I don't watch myself.

I have no limit on how much I can eat.. Although TO THE OP:

The more chemicals you are on (medications), or the more they are in your system, (at least in my experience) the less you will want to eat, or will eat.

I've found that the more medications I was on in the past, the more weight I would lose - just because I "forgot" to eat, or I just ignored it or I felt depressed and eating for me is something that feels good and when i get depressed I don't even attempt to feel good.. <--- ****** up I know.

I would suggest to the OP: You are on a lot of medication my friend, and like those experiments with rats that have either food or drugs and they pick drugs; not to compare you to that but the fact is drugs do almost replace food or at least the "desire" to eat, because food is a chemical, and it can upset your neurochemical balance.

Maybe you should try lowing your dose of one of your medications, I've found the less medication im on - REGARDLESS of what type of medicine it is - I tend to have a better appetite or a more "normal one"

I try to keep my weight at a good healthy level, except my problem is that im too skinny; My parents raised me on ampthetamines, skim milk, and sugary cereals for breakfast most of my child life. LOL, so now I am like a twig, I actually do like it though in some ways, because when I am eating alot, and sleeping right, my body fills out in the way that is similair to olympic runners or whatever. Its just very hard to stay in that good of shape and keep that weight, because if I don't then i just feel and (at least to me) look like im a crack addict or something, even though im always within a normal BFI range.

I've always been jealous of more heavyset guys in highschool, because I was just so skinny being a little overweight to me seemed more preferable. But of course the grass is greener on the other side.

The only advice I can give to you, is that the mornings I get up and cook eggs and make an egg/cheese biscuit with 2% milk and banana or something - My day is much better, and I do not get depressed as fast or as soon as I normally would had I not ate anything.

Breakfast is really something everyone should force down their throat, no matter who they are or what wiehgt they are regardless of anything, its a requirement and a law in all countrys made my the great mother earth herself.

Also WATER! Water before and after every meal will do wonders for ED, it will help you mentally and physically maintain weight and feel good about your weight.

emploding
12-01-11, 12:35 AM
My problem (if it even is one) is that I can gain 10 lbs in just 2 weeks easily, and then lose that ten pounds maybe a week later. Every time I go to my doctors office (My new doctor once a week as of the last few months) I weigh a signficant difference than the week before.

ED's are disorders of the mind, it's not based on how much you weigh or how much your weight fluctuates.

Also WATER! Water before and after every meal will do wonders for ED, it will help you mentally and physically maintain weight and feel good about your weight.

Ah, yeh. No. I'm sorry, but just drinking water will not make someone maintain weight and feel good about themselves. Eating disorders are not that simplistic.