View Full Version : Viewer discretion advised

lateralthinker
10-02-11, 10:37 AM
It's a pretty grim story. The guy uses ADHD as an excuse for what he did. Once he gets locked in a cage for the rest of his life, he'll be on the Florida Taxpayer Insurance Plan to treat his ADHD. This all happened about 5 minutes from my house.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/sep/29/fort-pierce-man-19-accused-of-attempted-murder/

meadd823
10-02-11, 12:16 PM
What exactly is the topic here - that some nut job used ADHD as an excuse to harm an infant?

- People like this NEVER take responsibility for their actions regardless of what they attempt to use as a means of absconding personal responsibility!

ADHDers as a whole are more dangerous to themselves than they are to any one else.

This guy is full of crap and needs to be put under a jail.

Why bother treating his ADHD now? The legal system and other inmates will be managing his life for some time.

StoicNate
10-02-11, 12:37 PM
That's messed up. That guy has a lot more problems than ADHD.

holmracing
10-03-11, 04:14 AM
That's messed up. That guy has a lot more problems than ADHD.

That is the understatement of the century... The man should get the crapped beat out of him and held underwater a few times himself. This man is very very messed up!!!!

bree
10-03-11, 04:23 AM
what exactly is the topic here - that some nut job used adhd as an excuse to harm an infant?

- people like this never take responsibility for their actions regardless of what they attempt to use as a means of absconding personal responsibility!

Adhders as a whole are more dangerous to themselves than they are to any one else.

This guy is full of crap and needs to be put under a jail.

Why bother treating his adhd now? The legal system and other inmates will be managing his life for some time.

from a red state by any chance????

Fortune
10-03-11, 04:34 AM
Why bother treating his ADHD now? The legal system and other inmates will be managing his life for some time.

Because it is cruel and inhumane punishment to deny people access to health care because they are in prison.

I can't really say anything more outside the debates forum.

Just so it's clear: I don't have any sympathy for this guy.

bree
10-03-11, 04:39 AM
Sorry what i mean is this is NEVER okay ADHD or no. AND where was evreyone else????

In a country where someone who has 2 jobs can go bankrupt from un paid medical bills and one has to go to prison to get help people will continue to go untreated and horror stories will continue.

But this is prob not the forum for this post

meadd823
10-03-11, 04:40 AM
from a red state by any chance????

"Red state" Right now it is mostly brown while most of the time it is green with grey stripes here and there.

In case you missed the hint = My political views are not up for discussion.

bree
10-03-11, 04:46 AM
Thats okay you have made them abundatly clear

PS unteated and i have issues with that thing um cant remember the word

meadd823
10-03-11, 04:46 AM
Because it is cruel and inhumane punishment to deny people access to health care because they are in prison.

I can't really say anything more outside the debates forum.

Just so it's clear: I don't have any sympathy for this guy.

The definition of health care is what is up for grabs - I take ADHD medications so I can function in society - The person in question is not going to be functioning in society for some time. No one is saying should he have an abscess or a heart attack he should be left to die.

meadd823
10-03-11, 04:51 AM
Thats okay you have made them abundatly clear

PS unteated and i have issues with that thing um cant remember the word

I think you are assuming crap but that is beside the point. Politics is an banned topic in open forum.

YOU want to argue politics with me we do have a private debate section that has no topic restrictions.

Please return to topic - using ADHD as an excuse for child abuse {I think}

bree
10-03-11, 04:54 AM
so you can function in society, have a think about your own words and consider if heath care should not help people who can other wisee not function in sociey.

Make sense???

bree
10-03-11, 04:55 AM
Health care is not political

judayxlo
10-03-11, 05:02 AM
Does this dumb*** even know what having ADHD entails?
Did he just pick the first disorder that popped into his head as an excuse?

There is absolutely NO excuse for what he has done.

I can understand getting annoyed at a baby who's crying constantly, but that is no reason to strike a baby who can't even defend himself.

What was the mother doing at the time, anyway?

meadd823
10-03-11, 05:09 AM
so you can function in society, have a think about your own words and consider if heath care should not help people who can other wisee function in sociey.

Make sense???

I am not sure so my response is a guess

Health care is one thing mental health is another - prison health care is another. Should could would make no difference - What is, is what is regardless of what I or any one else thinks.

His claims fall under psych - that is an entirely other ball of wax.

Remember we are from different countries and possibly from different cultures,My country doesn't provide heath care for it's law biding citizens therefore the health care provided for prisoners even if it is bare bones physical health it is better than what most law biding citizens are receiving in the absence of private health insurance

Even for those who have insurance many health insurances don;t cover ADHD treatment because it is considered mental health - Changes in this view are being made but extremely slowly.

bree
10-03-11, 05:19 AM
Sorry sweet you are right we have huge issues with ADD and health care here too. My concern is that our weak willed pols here pay way to much attention to America and this IMP is pathetic and wrong.

IMO health care should include mental health.

bree
10-03-11, 05:24 AM
Sorry sweet you are right we have huge issues with ADD and health care here too.

My concern is that our weak willed pols here pay way to much attention to America and this IMP is pathetic and wrong.

IMO health care should include mental health.

I wont continue as it will lead me back to politics and health care

Fortune
10-03-11, 08:29 AM
Actually, I believe that prisoners are provided mental health care in at least some states.

The guy may actually have an ADHD diagnosis, but if he does there's always that chance for conduct disorder or a personality disorder to go along with it (most of the people with ADHD in the prison system also have anti-social personality disorder, to my understanding). Not that it's appropriate to blame ASPD either, as most people who have it manage to not kill anyone in their lifetime, as I understand it.

Apparently there's been a study done in Sweden in terms of treating inmates' ADHD to improve outcomes. This article mentions it, but the link is apparently dead:

http://www.addadhdblog.com/adhd-in-jail/

Anyway, I doubt this guy will be getting any actual stimulants in prison.

lateralthinker
10-03-11, 09:34 AM
This is a case of a 19 year old brat who was ****** because he had to stay home and take care of a baby while his friends were out causing trouble. He's probably a sociopath - he certainly looks like he's missing a few marbles. His attorney will probably try the ADHD angle for an easier sentence - use how he had hard time in school, was abused, etc as an excuse for making him violent. A Florida jury won't go for it. If the baby doesn't survive he'll probably get the needle.

I think treatment of ADHD for prisoners is a good idea under the right circumstances. Those whose crimes involve drug abuse or regular people who simply messed up should be able to be treated. Gangbangers, baby beaters like this guy, etc, don't deserve a thing.