View Full Version : Metadate CD - How long does it last?

daisyo75
09-23-04, 04:20 PM
I'm probably going to be starting on Metadate CD next week and I am wondering if anyone can tell me how long is does it's thing? I find that on regular ritalin its almost gone by the time 4 hours has gone by.

Also what do those of you on this med think of it?

Tara
09-23-04, 04:27 PM
It is supposed to last between 4 and 8 hours.

daisyo75
09-23-04, 04:50 PM
4-8 hours for a once daily med?

Maybe I live in an alternate reality(really maybe I do!) but my days are pretty much a jam packed 16 hours since I've got young kids that never take naps at the same time.

I can handle the last few hours being unmedicated but I need at least 10-12 functional hours.

Tara
09-23-04, 05:10 PM
Yes even Concerta which can last up to 12 hours doesn't last long enough for the average adult with AD/HD. I'm curious why you and your MD decided on Metadate instead of Concerta or Ritalin LA?

I have been on Ritalin LA for about a year which last between 6 and 8 hours. I take it twice a day too.

daisyo75
09-23-04, 05:22 PM
Both Concerta and Ritalin LA are on a mandatory Step Therapy program which means I have to try generic forms first. Metadate is actually a prefered med though my insurance company but my Dr did not know that.

The Dr mentioned Concerta but not Ritalin LA. He also didn't really seem to know the various options for ADD off the top of his head. I always do my own research anyway.

The metadate will probably be fine if I can get a short acting suplement for the end of the day. I don't know if he will give me that or not...

Sc@tterBr@in_UK
09-24-04, 05:21 AM
Can't you just take it TWICE then? I do this with Concerta and it works fine.

daisyo75
09-24-04, 11:42 AM
I guess doubling is a possibility.... I probably just need to see how long the Metadate lasts before I add a supplemental dose.

It all boils down to what the Dr is willing to give me so I'll have to ask him next week.

lightray
09-24-04, 12:39 PM
I have used immediate release (IR) methylphenidate (generic form of Ritalin), Concerta 18 and 27, and Metadate CD 10 and 20.

IR methylphenidate requires multiple dosing with uneven results. Concerta and Metadate (and Ritalin LA) have different release profiles. The only way to find out which works best for you is to try them. If you are curious about seeing their profiles, check the web sites for each of them.

I find Metadate CD to have a more even release profile than Concerta, and that is what I prefer. I don't want to feel any "peaks" during the day. Metadate CD lasts 8 10 hours for me. Since my days are longer than that, I take two doses, 6 hours apart. That seems to work well for me. The first dose is Metadate CD 20 first thing when I wake up, and a Metadate CD 10 exactly 6 hours later. Metadate CD has a slowly descending release profile after 6 hours, so I find that a Metadate CD 10 is just right to complement it in the afternoon and evening. (I tried CD 20 for the afternoon dose, but I found it to be too much.) One can also take one Metadate CD in the morning and take IR methylphenidate 6 or 7 hours later to extend your day.

I avoid frequent drug "holidays" because I find that the side effects start again when I restart the meds.

My initial problem of falling asleep at bedtime has improved considerably.

-=Ray

Energizer_Bunny
10-03-04, 04:38 AM
It lasts rihgt at 8 hours for me. I can tell when the meds where off. I take 2 at 20 mgs apart. One when I first wake up in the morning which is about 5:15am-5:30 and another if I feel I need around 1pm. The main reason for the afternoon dose depends on my work load, my distraction level and if I have school that night. I do not take that second dosage unless I feel like I really need it. I am not sure if it is a good idea for me to play around with my meds the way that I do, but it works out well for me

I have noticed that by the end of the day I actually felt like I crashed and I am exhausted and I need to discuss this with my doctor.

I try not to take the second dosage if I do not feel it is necessary and the reason for this is chronic insomnia and the Metadate just adds to it.

I also added 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL and when mixed with the Metadate I actually am hyperfocusing which is awesome, especially when it comes to work. I have actually been told I was rude when in fact I was very focused. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said that is what you want right and I said yes.

tractor1
11-02-04, 03:01 AM
I am going to try Metadate CD next if I can first replace my doc who left town. I am on generic ritalin, but would like something longer lasting. The generic ritalin LA I tried did nothing for two hrs, then just slightly calmed things down. Concerta and Stratterra felt like sugar pills, no calming effect like regular ritalin. Thanks for the info, I think we have to help each other and help our docs, who then help the people around us!

netsavy006
01-26-06, 09:52 AM
IR methylphenidate requires multiple dosing with uneven results. Concerta and Metadate (and Ritalin LA) have different release profiles. The only way to find out which works best for you is to try them. If you are curious about seeing their profiles, check the web sites for each of them.
Can someone provide the websites for each of these meds?

sasa
07-11-06, 09:37 PM
Yes even Concerta which can last up to 12 hours doesn't last long enough for the average adult with AD/HD. I'm curious why you and your MD decided on Metadate instead of Concerta or Ritalin LA?

I have been on Ritalin LA for about a year which last between 6 and 8 hours. I take it twice a day too.
Metadate Cd lasts about 9 hours according to my doc. He switched me from RLA because of this ( It is about 6 hours) it is because of the release proportions - Metadate CD gives 70 % in the extended portion - RLA only 50% - concerta has a bit more at 78% do that gives you the durations - at higher doses I seem to get longer effect.