View Full Version : World Mental Health Day to Be Observed On October 10

jace49
10-10-11, 08:35 AM
Inspite of a number of awarenessprograms and campaigns, the mental health problem is still considered as a stigma in society and therefore continue to affect a number of lives every year. As per the available reports, not less than 60% people living with psychiatric disorders never attempts to avail any medical assistance or treatment to cure their problem.

A majority of people believed that some mental conditions including Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder demand no attention. However, it is a tough condition that can be acknowledged with unusual symptoms of inattentiveness and hyperactivity that tends to cause a number of behavioral disorders includingdepression.

Consequently, for the observance of the World Mental Health Day, on October 10th, Isobel Redmond, the South Australian Opposition, has emphasized on the need of move that can remove the stigma over the mental health.

"But considering that one in five people will suffer from a mental health illness in Australia in the next 12 months, it is important that mental health awareness, and an open discussion about it, continues", she added in her statement.

From: http://topnews.us/content/243994-world-mental-health-day-be-observe...

jace49
10-10-11, 10:34 AM
We advocate 365 days, but lets make it aware to others and let others help us bring awareness on days like this

pechemignonne
10-10-11, 10:50 AM
It's World Mental Health Day!! I am going to celebrate by spending the day watching tv reruns and ranting on internet forums, and refusing to do housework or put on pants. Which makes this... just like any other day when I don't have to go to work! Except also: mental illness treatment should be covered by medicare (not just meds, but psychotherapy!!), there needs to be more beds in long-term care facilities, the police should not be the front-line workers with the mentally ill, and of course, enough with the stigma.

Crazy people unite!! wOoT!!!

StoicNate
10-10-11, 12:23 PM
Happy Mental Health Day!

The US government should help people with ALL mental health problems.
There should be free mental health treatment for people that don't have a job or are low income to see Psychiatrist if they want to.

One time I went to a Regional Mental Health Center (usually for the poor/low income) and they refused me because they only treat people with "Severe" mental health issues.
They said ADHD, Asperger's, and Anxiety are not "Severe" conditions and I could manage them on my own.

So in reality, the US gov't doesn't really want to help people with mental health issues but sugar coat it to make it look like they do.

jace49
10-10-11, 12:50 PM
Your not alone in your frustration and anger, it is coming to the surface more everyday, its a world thing that can't be swept under the rug as easy.