View Full Version : Sugar = Sleepy, yet can't stop craving it?

DogFoster
10-10-11, 07:46 PM
Does anyone else find that nothing puts them to sleep faster than a big piece of cake slathered in butter cream frosting, even if it makes you feel terrible after waking up the next morning or post-nap?

And then, when you do wake up, the first thing on your mind is...sugar. Must. Find. More. Sweetness. I've always been curious if this was an ADHD thing or just the fact that I crave all things sweet.

All sugar! All the time!

shysmile
10-11-11, 10:10 AM
This sounds more suspiciously like it could be blood sugar related. Or even an allergy or intolerance? I know this sounds ironic, but being intolerant to a food can actually make you crave it.

My body went through something similar to that last year...certain foods would make me feel insanely tired and I'd have a bad nights sleep some days because of it.

Some days I felt I couldn't get enough sugar, or just refined carbs in general.

Do you always crave the sweets, or is it an on-and-off thing?

aeon
10-11-11, 01:36 PM
That definitely sounds like a diabetes screen/test is in order.

cheers,
Ian

fracturedstory
10-11-11, 05:44 PM
Fortunately or unfortunately, such things make me ill. I do enjoy my Pez though.

I do get a craving for sweet food when my medication wears off. I eats so well while taking it (once I didn't and became massively tired - bad devon sandwich!) that when not on it I feel no reason to eat healthy. Although I still do.

DogFoster
10-11-11, 08:58 PM
I've had blood work and diabetic screenings, both were totally normal. If I have a little sugar, I want more and more and more. I like sweet salad dressings, sweet liquors and sweet teas.

I've been told by some people experienced a huge energy boost when they gave up refined sugar. Has anyone ever successfully tried this. It almost seems like not breathing to me!

My parents for never even gave me soda until I was 5 years-old. After my first sweet sip, I was like a crack-baby snorting her first line of cocaine. There was no going back.

Marzipan
10-11-11, 10:59 PM
Cake is the only thing that matters (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/god-of-cake.html)

Candlewax
10-30-11, 12:11 PM
read 'potatoes not prozac' by kathleen desmaisons. I had the exact same thing, sugar cravings, and sugar made me sleepy, drowsy, made my head very cloudy. it's safe to say that it's an addiction. I followed the program in the book and now I'm sugarfree, my mood is much more stable and I have more energy throughout the day.

Rebelyell
10-30-11, 07:16 PM
Im very addicted to sugar and I cant seem to cut it out of my diet.yes its taken a toll on my body as Im constantly manic and then I crash hard and am tired which leads me to eating more sugary stuff so I dont feel so tired.I swear my meds make me crave sugary stuff as well.I have gone awhile w out it w is hard to do as I get all *****y and irritable.I'll be good for awhile then Ill have a piece and its like 1 piece turns into the whole damn bag:(