View Full Version : OCPD and ADHD

jonnyc55
10-14-11, 11:25 AM
People with ADHD are emotionally impulsive due to the anterior cingulate cortex not functioning. This comes out as frustration, impatience, repetitive talking and quickly becoming angry.

People with OCPD on the other hand, have a overactive anterior cingulate cortex and this also appears to cause the same problems the ADHD type find.
I say 'appears' because, though the OCPD symptoms are slightly different than ADHD, they can still cause the person with OCPD to appear as ADHD due to their similar difficulties they face. For example, A person with OCPD are typically perfectionists so when they are doing a project they can procrastinate due to the amount of work they feel has to be perfect. If it can't be perfect they won't bother attempting anything. This is the same as the person with ADHD because they both procrastinate however the person with ADHD procrastinate due to their high impulsiveness and the wanting to do something more stimulating.
As you can see, both the OCPD and ADHD procrastinate and this ties back to what am saying about how both disorders can have the same symptoms but both have totally different reasons for their problems.

But the main point am getting at with this is, I feel that I may have OCPD and ADHD or just OCPD. I need help distinguishing the two, so am going to ask you ADHD lot :P if you feel you face these problems from time to time or all the time.

feelings of excessive doubt and caution;
preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization or schedule;
perfectionism that interferes with task completion;
excessive conscientiousness, scrupulousness, and undue preoccupation with productivity to the exclusion of pleasure and interpersonal relationships;
excessive pedantry and adherence to social conventions;
rigidity and stubbornness;
unreasonable insistence by the individual that others submit exactly to his or her way of doing things, or unreasonable reluctance to allow others to do things;
intrusion of insistent and unwelcome thoughts or impulses

Kurian
01-04-12, 05:34 PM
ADHD & OCDP Difference
ADHD

not at all obsessed with organization, order, details or anal
undependable
bad with money
fun people
creative, out of the box thinking

OCDP

'owning the truth', what i have is 'The Truth'
doing most things themselves & not trusting others work quality
good with money
not fun people
very formal style, mechanical, not warm person
sticks to conventions
answering questions in great detail
insistence by the individual that others submit exactly to his or her way of doing things
dependable
the ADHD people in the support group are not as perfectionist as me.
excessive doubt and caution

ADHD & OCDP Similarities

rigidity & stubbornness
impulsive
difficulty completing tasks (OCDP due to dissatisfaction, ADHD due to stimulation)
indecisive

That being said
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!

Diagnosed by top doctor, taking med & after reading five books on ADHD & collecting 12, visiting support groups. Mother diagnosed ADHD.
i am extreme ADHD:)

Diagnosed by another team of doctors, reading about it. Father OCPD(maybe).
i am extreme OCPD:)

My View 1
It is quite possible both are the same. Just different symptom labelling from researchers in different areas. After been to 6 doctors i have seen all of them referring disorders as their favourites just because they did their final project on that topic. Each convinces me his diagnosis was my only ailment. One even showed me his patients register with him labelling majority of them the same, as if it was a communicable disease which has spread in the area.

My View 2
I have both affecting different areas.
OCPD developed as a reaction to my ADHD. Its a personality disorder. The person becomes extremely cautious & perfectionist because of being ridicule & failures due to careless nature of ADHD. I had very strict parents.

Medication:
I can see OCPD doesnt have a medication just for it. But i am taking methylphenidate for ADHD which has somehow helped the OCPD by putting me in hurried state & makes me do things imperfectly. I feel it is inhibiting me from thinking a lot, which has proven quite bad in complicated situations but quite good on the whole for my life. Presently i need to badly get out of my stagnated life of 'paralysis by analysis' by thinking straighforward but in the long run not being able to think parallely & creatively might hinder me.

The best advice i have found is keep on moving.

I would love to hear from others.

Bethylphenidate
08-22-13, 12:16 PM
I was going to start this exact same topic, but it was already started two years ago! :\

Minutes ago, I had this "Aha!" moment that maybe I've developed OCPD partially so that I could "keep" ADHD. Or maybe I always had OCPD and coping with ADHD exacerbates and illuminates it. Or maybe I don't have OCPD at all, and I just have an "OCP." Just a random thought with no substantial basis. ;)

fracturedstory
08-23-13, 03:42 AM
There's a lot of overlap with OCPD and autism, which I have. I think I've had ADHD longer. Intrusive thoughts started when I was about 18 and just got worse overtime.

lovely kudra
08-29-13, 10:16 PM
Click here (http://www.cnsspectrums.com/aspx/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1074) for a link to a case study of three folks with AD(H)D and OCPD.

This is just a study of n=3 but, on the other hand, damn do I love a good anecdote.

I am convinced that I have developed full-blown OCDP/OCDP-ish tendencies in response to the difficulties presented by AD(H)D. While we're spouting conjecture, I would further assert that these symptoms/tendencies are more disruptive than my 'normal' ADHD.

I find it interesting that each of the subjects is a 'white collar' member of society.

Pingu*
08-30-13, 07:05 AM
Click here (http://www.cnsspectrums.com/aspx/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1074) for a link to a case study of three folks with AD(H)D and OCPD.

This is just a study of n=3 but, on the other hand, damn do I love a good anecdote.
Thank you so much for this link!
When I was in psychotherapy 2 years ago, the psychologist came to the conclusion that if I were older, I would be diagnosed with OCPD (I was 19 at the time and they didn't want to slap personality disorder diagnoses on young adults). I don't think I would get the diagnosis today because I've improved slightly, but I still have some problems.
"He researched decisions so extensively (eg, buying a car) that it would frequently take years for him to make a decision." is sooo me (among the things I brought up in the diagnostic interview).

I am very interested in ADHD patients developing perfectionistic or obsessive traits to cope with their ADHD traits, because I'm getting increasingly convinced I am one of them. I found an article a few weeks ago about ADHD and personality in young adults (?), that mentioned a small "conscientious" subgroup of ADHD patients (to me, refreshing compared to the stereotype of "careless" patients which I don't identify with) - unfortunately the group in the study was so small that there was no information to be gained from that other than its existence. I'll try to find the article later. (No promises - I might not follow up on this :D )

Pingu*
09-02-13, 02:09 PM
I found an article a few weeks ago about ADHD and personality in young adults (?), that mentioned a small "conscientious" subgroup of ADHD patients (to me, refreshing compared to the stereotype of "careless" patients which I don't identify with) - unfortunately the group in the study was so small that there was no information to be gained from that other than its existence.
Found it: A Person-Centered Personality Approach to Heterogeneity in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846424/)
Take a look at Figure 1.

The sixth profile, which might be described as obsessive or “perfectionistic,” was a group of seven individuals characterized by high neuroticism, openness, and conscientiousness. Although it only had seven individuals, this profile (always with the same seven individuals in it) appeared in all solutions.

daveddd
09-02-13, 02:21 PM
i have the tendencys

ocpd is in from 20-40% of adhd people

as opposed to maybe 1-3% of GP

i have to believe most PDs are contribute to by an axis 1

stef
09-02-13, 03:25 PM
WHOA, my husband has some of these traits. ( just moderately but wow!)
especially, perfectionism interfering with tasks
certain way of doing things
detailed replies,
good with money, dependable.

thanks for posting this!!!