View Full Version : Meditation techniques & suggested readings

Chuck Connors
10-16-11, 04:05 PM
There seems to be thousands of ways to practice meditation and there are many commercial ventures who are happy to have you part with your hard earned money in exchange for their program. I'm new to ADHD and want to learn more about meditation. I'm the type of person who prefers to have fewer choices of the style/type of meditation from which to choose than too many choices. I'd appreciate any input on meditation. Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations on books, videos and other materials related to meditation that I can review. Thank you.

Unmanagable
10-16-11, 04:41 PM
I ran across the Chopra Center website many months ago and they were offering a free 21 day guided meditation. All you had to do was register with an email address or log in using facebook. It's the meditation practice that finally clicked with me, made sense, and felt fulfilling.

They feel if you can stick with it for 21 days, it may become a habit. It's guided, so they talk you through it. They let you know that comfort is critical. You don't have to sit in a pretzel-like position that hurts.

They let you know it's okay if your mind wanders - actually - they say if it does wander, then that means your supposed to be thinking about whatever it wanders off to.

They help with breathing techniques, which have been instrumental in helping me reel in my anxiety.

I have tried many other techniques, to no avail. This one "clicked" and has been helpful ever since day one.

I also listen to many different satsangs with Mooji. You can google him and find hundreds of videos. I find the topic that weighs heavy on my heart that day and listen to him. Then I spend some time focusing on the details of why that topic weighed so heavily and how I can improve the situation.

Good luck finding something that works for you. Meditation has proven to be a very helpful part of this whole treatment process for me.

Be well and be love.

RedHairedWitch
10-16-11, 09:52 PM
I like meditation that involves movement, such as walking or drumming. Also love anything that requires chanting or mantras.

String
10-17-11, 01:38 PM
I've been reading Mindfulness for Dummies. It's actually good.

I've also listened to several guided meditations, like by Kabat-Zinn. There are even some good YouTube videos.

Nothing beats meditating with someone else to get started. When I was 16, one of the psychs in my church led a bunch of youth through some guided relaxation and meditation techniques. Those are what have stayed with me. I could be a lot better at using the things I learned years ago, but if you have a chance to learn meditation directly from someone who is good, in a group or otherwise, that's probably the best.

danpan
10-20-11, 04:16 PM
I haven't taken any classes, so I don't really know what the best techniques are. I only know what I've done when I've felt the need to meditate.

I sit or lie down, close my eyes, imagine that my mind is the ocean, and allow it to slip in sync with my thoughts and emotions. Once I can see it and am satisfied that it represents my frame of mind, I attempt to calm the waters.

It's been incredibly difficult for me. I've only managed to produce calm water once, for maybe 20-30 seconds, by allowing myself to not care about the roughness of the water. My greatest difficulty is that when the water begins to calm, I get excited, and then it becomes more turbulent. Then I panic, and struggle to reassert the calm or force it. Sometimes that helps, but if I do not fall back into a state of calm, I begin to get frustrated, and then the water becomes chaotic.

I like this method because even though I frequently fail, I feel like it's still therapeutic. It shuts out the outside world and removes all worries except for that turbulent ocean. It forces me to be aware of how chaotic my mind really is, and it makes me pay attention to the way my emotions affect it. For example, the anticipation of the calming waters... the tendency to try to force the calm... the resulting and thoroughly counter-productive frustration. I feel like that level of awareness and feedback really helps me to learn how to truly calm myself.

Also, sometimes it's nice to just let go and allow the ocean to become as turbulent as it wants, which can feel like a breath of fresh air. Or if I become very frustrated, I can force the water to be chaotic, which gives me a sense of control and release.

My ultimate goal with this is to be able to produce calm waters and appreciate them, without my excitement ruining it all. When I can do that consistently, I feel like I will have learned all I can learn from this technique and will only practice it for maintenance. Then I'll come up with some other visualization to work on thinking or acting (exerting control) without sacrificing the calm. I don't know what it'll be yet, but as an example, it could be something like making a pendulum move smoothly while maintaining the calm ocean, or making the second hand of a clock move properly, again while maintaining the calm waters...

...that's my plan anyway. I don't know if I'll ever get there, but we'll see. :)

Chuck Connors
10-21-11, 12:50 AM
Thanks Danpan. I'm thinking that visualizing about laying on the warm sand of a deserted beach in Cabo San Lucas and listening to the crashing waves may be somewhat helpful.