View Full Version : Video Game Uses Brain to Control Action

jace49
10-17-11, 09:08 AM
By Christina DesMarais, PCWorld Oct 16, 2011 7:08 AM

Video games often require children to use their hands to control the action, but a new one released by a collaboration that includes an Australian researcher invites kids to use their brains -- literally.

Focus Pocus uses a brainwave-reading headset and helps children ages 7-13 improve impulse control, memory, attention and relaxation.

One of the developers became interested in alternative treatments for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder after listening to their parentsí concerns about over-medication.

The new game was produced though collaboration between Australian researcher Dr. Stuart Johnstone, Silicon Valley brain computer interface company NeuroSky, Australian neurocognitive software maker NeuroCog and London-based games developer roll7.

Players wear a headset called MindWave that connects wirelessly to a PC and uses electroencephalographic (EEG) technology to read electrical activity in the brainís pre-frontal cortex where higher thinking -- such as emotions, mental states and concentration -- occur. The MindWave uses a single sensor on the forehead for data input and two sensors on the ear clip for grounding and reference.

Once the headset is on a playerís head, the child then takes on the role of an apprentice wizard, working through 12 mini games that requires he or she to think in certain ways. For instance, to cast a hex on ghouls or zap goblins the player needs to remember where in a library a spell book was left. The player also can turn a pig into a trumpet by relaxing and do things like fly a broomstick by concentrating.

Parents have access to daily reports as well as a comprehensive report on performance changes in impulse control and memory, EEG changes and observable behavior change.

Johnstone began his work on the project after finding that training in impulse-control and memory minimized distraction and improved concentration and behavior.

Focus Pocus and the MindWave headset cost $249. Currently the game is available for Windows PCs but not Macs.

Want to see more about how kids with ADHD can use Focus Pocus? Check out this YouTube video link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PgxRKfNu3CU

Article from: http://www.pcworld.com/article/241993/video_game_uses_brain_to_control_action.html

Psychomaze
10-17-11, 10:54 PM
I think... that I'm in love ^^;

I personally look at RPGs as "books" put into a form of "electronic entertainment" - it still has a story with characters and sometimes you can pick your ending (open-ended) or not (linear story line).

I got a lot of enthusiastic things to say to support and cheer for your post, but some friends are waiting for me to log on to play an FPS (sometimes we get goofy and quote stuff from 80s movies like Spaceballs or Ghostbusters or something)

ConcertaParent
08-06-12, 10:59 AM
Has anybody tried this yet, or Play Attention's new armband sensor?
Focus Pocus uses a brainwave-reading headset and helps children ages 7-13 improve impulse control, memory, attention and relaxation.

ccom5100
08-06-12, 04:30 PM
My ds does neurofeedback, which is very similar.

ConcertaParent
08-07-12, 12:28 AM
What is the specific neurofeedback treatment, and how is your ds doing with it? The neurofeedback centre I'm seriously considering uses LORETA-based (low resolution electromagnetic tomography) feedback and Thought-Tech 8-channel Infiniti, along with training in the use of metacognitive strategies (http://littlepsych.com/pdf/Thompsons.pdf). My ds does neurofeedback, which is very similar.

ConcertaParent
08-08-12, 10:21 AM
Forbes has an article on Applying A Brain-Computer Interface For Children With ADHD (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferhicks/2012/06/17/openvibe-applying-brain-computer-interface-for-children-with-adhd/).

ccom5100
08-11-12, 02:17 PM
What is the specific neurofeedback treatment, and how is your ds doing with it? The neurofeedback centre I'm seriously considering uses LORETA-based (low resolution electromagnetic tomography) feedback and Thought-Tech 8-channel Infiniti, along with training in the use of metacognitive strategies (http://littlepsych.com/pdf/Thompsons.pdf).

I'm not familiar with any of the technical terms, but this is what his treatment consists of. Electromagnetic attachments to different parts of his brain. He then watches a movie and if he is controlling the concentration of his brain, then the movie screen is totally open, if not, it closes. The treatment can also be done with a type of video game, but he prefers the movie.

ONLY DESTROYER
08-11-12, 04:18 PM
By Christina DesMarais, PCWorld Oct 16, 2011 7:08 AM

Video games often require children to use their hands to control the action, but a new one released by a collaboration that includes an Australian researcher invites kids to use their brains -- literally.

One of the developers became interested in alternative treatments for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder after listening to their parentsí concerns about over-medication.

The new game was produced though collaboration between Australian researcher Dr. Stuart Johnstone, Silicon Valley brain computer interface company NeuroSky, Australian neurocognitive software maker NeuroCog and London-based games developer roll7.

Players wear a headset called MindWave that connects wirelessly to a PC and uses electroencephalographic (EEG) technology to read electrical activity in the brainís pre-frontal cortex where higher thinking -- such as emotions, mental states and concentration -- occur. The MindWave uses a single sensor on the forehead for data input and two sensors on the ear clip for grounding and reference.

Once the headset is on a playerís head, the child then takes on the role of an apprentice wizard, working through 12 mini games that requires he or she to think in certain ways. For instance, to cast a hex on ghouls or zap goblins the player needs to remember where in a library a spell book was left. The player also can turn a pig into a trumpet by relaxing and do things like fly a broomstick by concentrating.

Parents have access to daily reports as well as a comprehensive report on performance changes in impulse control and memory, EEG changes and observable behavior change.

Johnstone began his work on the project after finding that training in impulse-control and memory minimized distraction and improved concentration and behavior.

Focus Pocus and the MindWave headset cost $249. Currently the game is available for Windows PCs but not Macs.

Want to see more about how kids with ADHD can use Focus Pocus? Check out this YouTube video link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PgxRKfNu3CU

Article from: http://www.pcworld.com/article/241993/video_game_uses_brain_to_control_action.html

What about the adults with ADD....do they ever think about us...I like games too, and I want something like this for me, an 18 year old adult.

rainingstar
08-13-12, 02:56 PM
I have been looking into this as well and have been trying to find games that could help my son stay focus. Thank you for finding this.

ConcertaParent
08-14-12, 09:27 AM
Start-Ups Seek FDA Approval for Videogames as Treatment for ADHD (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:online.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB100008 72396390444130304577558840153698520.html)

"Akili has a neural-imaging study underway with its current game in healthy individuals and its clinical-pilot studies will begin shortly.
Meanwhile, Brain Plasticity has launched clinical tests of computer-based exercises to treat schizophrenia and ADHD."

I have applied for access to the first game at Akili Interactive's website.

drowe05
08-15-12, 02:40 PM
I am looking for some alternative methods to help my son with ADHD as well. This system Focus Pocus seems quite reasonably priced compared to others I have investigated. Has anyone used it more recently and feels it is successful? The original post was in 2011.

Thank you -

ConcertaParent
09-14-12, 07:08 AM
Since AttenGo, Lumosity, Dual N-Back, Vyvanse, Concerta, Omega-3, social skills training, etc., have all turned out to be a waste of money and time, :( neurofeedback may be my child's last best hope. I am about to order the NeuroSky MindWave Mobile EEG headset. If my child can respond to her brain waves, then I will get Focus Pocus.
He then watches a movie and if he is controlling the concentration of his brain, then the movie screen is totally open, if not, it closes. The treatment can also be done with a type of video game, but he prefers the movie. So this is the home system from SmartBrain Technologies?

Amtram
09-14-12, 08:28 PM
My opinion is that you'd be making a better investment if you found a behavioral therapist who specializes in ADHD and had both shared and individual sessions. Just throwing that out there.

ConcertaParent
09-14-12, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. We've already tried/paid for a lot of behaviour therapies, and will continue to try other treaments in our all-out war against her disorders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OpOYGt4Sss
1. Therapeutic Summer Camp (http://www.nelsonyouthcentres.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=10), including social skills training, self-esteem.
2. Parenting group program.
3. After School Treatment Programs (http://www.nelsonyouthcentres.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=6) twice, for a total of ten straight months every week, including cognitive behaviour therapy.
4. Regular meeting with the school's youth counsellor, including Girls Club and Games Club.
5. Behaviour therapies at home, including implementing strategies from Smart But Scattered, Dr. Russell Barkley's Your Defiant Child, Dr. Edward Hallowell's Superparenting for ADD, etc. She does better at home than school and public.

Since she continues to have huge challenges at school and is in danger of never catching up, we plan to continue with more behaviour therapies this school year:

6. Youth Overcoming Depression and Anxiety (http://www.woodview.ca/mental-health-programs/yoda.html): group treatment program that runs for 1 half day per week which means missing school; includes CBT and yoga.
7. Either a third session of After School Program, or one-on-one session with a counsellor twice a month.
8. Weekly meetings with the school's youth counsellor.

My opinion is that you'd be making a better investment if you found a behavioral therapist who specializes in ADHD and had both shared and individual sessions. Just throwing that out there.

Amtram
09-15-12, 11:28 AM
OK, this is not a criticism of you, because obviously you're working hard for the best outcome, but I want to give you my perspective as a 52 year old woman who went through life with ADHD, untreated, addressed by ineffective therapies, helped by effective therapies, and treated by many different combinations of medications in order to address my symptoms.

Your child doesn't just exhibit symptoms. Your child actually thinks, remembers, and makes decisions in a completely different way from the way most people do. The symptoms that are used to diagnose ADHD are those that are visible to an outside observer. While they're usually pretty accurate, there's a lot more going on inside, and the inside stuff is what you need to focus on. Working on the inside problems does much, much more to help with the overt symptoms than anything else, and that's where the right parenting comes in.

The reason you need to see a therapist who specializes in ADHD, and preferably one who works well with your child in a private session is that he/she can listen to your child, figure out what's going on on the inside a little better, and tell you potential strategies you can use to help based on the unique way your child thinks and feels. Dizfriz's corner (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130) has tons of good information, but one of the things I can tell you from my perspective of an adult with ADHD and a parent of a child whose ADHD is better than mine because of the way we raised her, is that learning how your child thinks and what motivates your child will do both of you more good than anything else in the world.

If you know how your child thinks, you can teach him/her in ways that are understandable and actually stick in his/her memory because they are relevant to the experience. If you understand his/her motivation, then you can provide the motivation he/she needs to strive for positive outcomes, and remove the motivation that triggers negative behaviors. None of these overly generalized programs will do any of this, because they are motivated solely towards improving a limited skill set. No medication will do this on its own, because medications do not treat learned behaviors.

The avenues you've pursued may have had some effectiveness in certain areas, but the best thing you can do for your child is invest in the type of therapy that will give her the ability to understand herself that she can put to use for the rest of her life, and which will teach you how to help her to achieve that. I know that's what you want for her, and I just wanted to point out that my experience indicates that the right therapist who can work with both of you could produce the best long-term outcome. Take that as you will.

ConcertaParent
09-15-12, 07:03 PM
That's what so good about the neurofeedback therapist that I am considering. She is an author of ADHD book, with a Ph.D., BCIA-EEG, registered psychologist with experience in teaching, school psychology, metacognitive strategies and ownership of learning centres. :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEZnXJV0qM Thanks again for your replies.
The reason you need to see a therapist who specializes in ADHD, and preferably one who works well with your child in a private session is that he/she can listen to your child, figure out what's going on on the inside a little better, and tell you potential strategies you can use to help based on the unique way your child thinks and feels.

NEOmom
10-22-12, 12:41 AM
[Has] anyone else has tried Focus Pocus. It sounds intriguing, and not that expensive compared to other options. Plus I could play with it too. :) One specific question after viewing their web site...in the headset adjustable to fit a kid's head? It doesn't look like it comes in different sizes, and I'd imagine proper fit would be pretty important.