View Full Version : Is Methylin an older medicine not frequently prescribed?

kathrynsmathryn
10-20-11, 12:19 AM
Just wondering, seeing as there are no threads here... and a lot of the posts seem to be years back.

I was just given Methylin ER today, and so far I don't feel too much other than a little drowsy and I have some leg restlessness. I wonder if this is an outdated med...?

Abi
10-20-11, 12:25 AM
Methylin is a generic "brand" of Ritalin... ie. its methylphenidate manufactured by a company other than Novartis, not sure who.

Apparently they aren't making it any more so you've probably been given old stock.

That and the fact that it probably never was as reliable as the real Novartis stuff.

kathrynsmathryn
10-20-11, 02:14 AM
The manufacturer on the bottle is Mallinckrodt. Novartis discontinued it, but it's not generally discontinued medication, is it? Hmm, perhaps that is why it was so cheap. =__=;;

StoicNate
10-20-11, 02:23 AM
Mallinckrodt makes Methylin. Methylin is just a generic form of Ritalin with a trademarked name.

SirSleepsAlot
10-20-11, 02:32 AM
I don't see why old drugs wouldn't have the same affects as new drugs. It is the same chemical contained in an air tight bottle.

As for the type of drug Amphetamines are different from Methamphetamines or Adderall is different from Ritalin. However Ritalin and Concerta (a very new drug) are basically the same drug with the same effect (Methamphetamines).

Perhaps it is a dosage issue, tolerance, or just given the wrong dosage by the pharmacist.

StoicNate
10-20-11, 03:18 AM
As for the type of drug Amphetamines are different from Methamphetamines or Adderall is different from Ritalin. However Ritalin and Concerta (a very new drug) are basically the same drug with the same effect (Methamphetamines).

Ritalin is NOT methamphetamine. Ritalin is methylphenidate. Two very different things.

Amphetamines= Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse.

Methlyphenidate= Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin, Daytrana, Metadate.

Both are stimulants, but have different ways of working in the brain.

addG4guy
10-20-11, 10:27 AM
I think Methylin has faded away into obscurity and was more popular during the ADD boom of the 1990s. But now that many types of methylphenidate are generic, it's no longer relevant. I believe Methylin had the only chewable tablet on the market.

BR549
10-20-11, 11:46 AM
Mallinckrodt was bought by Tyco Heath (Tyco International). Their spin off company is Covidien. Mallinckrodt is now under that (Covidien) division.

They still make Methylin. If you go to Covidien's website you can do a search of Methylin. it will pull up Mallinckrodt's 2011 speciality generic product guide. Methylin tabs and extended tabs are listed in their guide:

www.imaging.mallinckrodt.com/imageServer.aspx/doc190958.pdf?contentID=20036&contenttype=application/pdf

It may be that many pharmacies don't carry it and it has to be ordered.

kathrynsmathryn
10-20-11, 02:32 PM
Thanks all for the info! Though now I wonder why I wasn't just given Ritalin, or Concerta, instead of Methylin (since i'm sure most pharmacies carry Ritalin and Concerta versus Methylin). I've got good insurance... hmm.

BR549
10-20-11, 02:51 PM
Some docs tend to prescribe one thing over the other. Mine starts with Concerta, not Ritalin LA. She said the majority of her patients do well on it. I think it's a preference thing.

namazu
10-20-11, 06:15 PM
Thanks all for the info! Though now I wonder why I wasn't just given Ritalin, or Concerta, instead of Methylin (since i'm sure most pharmacies carry Ritalin and Concerta versus Methylin). I've got good insurance... hmm.
Could be as BR549 described... (I think I prefer Concerta to Ritalin LA myself as well.)

Also, if your doctor wrote "Ritalin SR" or "methylphenidate ER" on the prescribing pad, Methylin ER might have been dispensed as the generic. (A lot of places automatically substitute generics unless the doctor specifies that the brand-name formulation is required, even for patients with insurance -- though I've learned here recently that some insurances apparently insist on brand-name the first time!)

I know when I've had scripts for regular Ritalin (instant-release) filled, the pharmacy has dispensed Methylin as the generic (as recently as last month).

kathrynsmathryn
10-23-11, 04:01 AM
Update: For some reason, my doctors and I think the Methylin ER is causing rapid depression worsening and suicidal thoughts in me, so I might be taken off of this. Strange reaction though... <__<;;

Abi
10-23-11, 04:08 AM
I know one person who had this reaction to stimulants and some other medication.

He was severely bipolar, are you?

kathrynsmathryn
10-23-11, 02:33 PM
Nope, not to my knowledge.

SirSleepsAlot
10-27-11, 07:18 PM
Ritalin is NOT methamphetamine. Ritalin is methylphenidate. Two very different things.

Amphetamines= Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse.

Methlyphenidate= Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin, Daytrana, Metadate.

Both are stimulants, but have different ways of working in the brain.

Well technically meth and Ritalin have the same chemical makeup....
But I won't get technical.
I didn't know the exact term so i just use the one I knew but all of the Methlyphenidates are essentially the same thing just like all the Amphetamines are essentially the same thing.