View Full Version : Depression and clonidine

dannn
10-20-11, 07:06 AM
I've been on clonidine for 4 months now, and while it showed very good results (less anxiety/fidgeting, stopped nail bitting/alcohol drinking), I found myself getting more and more depressed. I tried lowering dose (currently taking 3x0.05mg), and although not as bad as higher doses, depression (more like lethargy) and irritability are still present. Unfortunately, guanfacine won't be available until 2013 in the UK, so it is back to the drawing board for me.
I had similar results with Strattera (low dose 18mg worked best), it was great for 2-3 months than I started getting more and more depressed. Anyone with a similar experience?

hollywood
10-20-11, 11:44 AM
Yup, I had the same response. The intuniv helped me alot with my memory and to dig into things on a deeper calmer level. Yet, it made me feel down and depressed. I really don't know how to remedy this because ssri's just make me feel so odd and off - I'd say your not alone. It's also contraicted in those with depression since it eases blood flow and relaxes blood flow in the brain it's also slowing things down in a way which is supposed to be the reason for the trigger for depression .

dannn
10-20-11, 02:22 PM
SSRI's also make me scatter brained, happy and spacey :)
When you add weight gain and sexual side effects, they are just not worth it.

hollywood
10-20-11, 02:25 PM
agreed. They do work on the symptom of ruminative thought. I know that when I try one my mind is free to focus on things I like and what can better myself or things to buy for my hobbies and what not . I will focus on nfl or anything thats cool to me. The thing is then I cannot read and comprehend things anymore and my ability to stay on track is thrown off the tracks. I know that we as a group ( adhd) basically all share this with ssri's and habituation thoughts which is different from panic anxiety. It's more like being bored anxiety and stuck thinking and ssri's do work for this . Yet, they make adhd worse. ******* sucks.