View Full Version : Geodon, Zyprexia and Risperidone

Abi
10-21-11, 01:10 AM
Any information on either of these two medications? Personal experiences in terms of efficacy in bipolar disorder and side effects.

Im ready to flush my Depakote and switch to Lamictal plus one of these two meds.

My Dxs are GAD and BP-2

Unmedicated I have fairly severe depression and moderate hypomania

My hypomania is of the dysphoric (irritable, aggressive, sometimes anxious and paranoid) variety.

Any info on personal experiences with either of these drugs will be helpful :)

Thanks.

sarahsweets
10-21-11, 08:38 AM
I've had good effects with lamictal. My son took risperdone for years for anxiety and ocd and as long as he took it at night it was good

addG4guy
10-21-11, 10:00 AM
Zyprexa (olanzapine) and Risperdal (risperidone) are both atypical antipsychotics. Zyprexa tends to cause more weight gain and sedation than Risperdal, while Risperdal increases prolactin levels more than Zyprexa.

I took Risperdal for a few years and had great results from it (mainly for aggression associated with autism), but ultimately had to discontinue it due to a drug interaction. Low doses (0.25mg) work well with minimal side effects.

Abi
10-21-11, 10:03 AM
OH please add GEODON to the list, , just found out it IS available in my part of Earth; this is the med I'm most interested in to combine with Lamictal.

Thanks

sarahsweets
10-21-11, 11:06 AM
I'm on geodon now and it's been a life saver. I have to take it at night because it can make you sleepy

Abi
10-21-11, 08:56 PM
Does it make you goofy and stupid during the day though?

Or cause weight gain?

If you take it at night, do you get adequate covergae during the day? WHats the Half life like? 20 hrs+ ?

addG4guy
10-21-11, 09:26 PM
Geodon isn't typically associated with weight gain like Risperdal and Zyprexa. In fact, I just read about a study involving Geodon where many patients actually lost weight on it. Also, I think Geodon is generally taken in the morning because it's activating and not sedating like many other atypicals. Geodon has higher rates of akathisia compared to Risperdal and Zyprexa.

sarahsweets
10-22-11, 08:43 AM
I do not find geodon activating at all. When taken at night it helps my sleep even after 3 years. It doesn't give me daytime drowsiness and I've kept my girlish figure.

marymac
01-14-12, 09:22 AM
I am currently taking Geodon 80mg twice a day. So far, it hasn't caused any weight gain (in fact I've lost a few pounds) and it helps me to sleep through the night. It doesn't cause me to be "goofy" or sedated all day either. Good luck to you!

known_guy
01-14-12, 02:52 PM
Zyprexa made me feel funny. Like I wasn't in full control of myself but was just fine with that.