View Full Version : I don't know if this is true or I'm just being stupid

XboxGamer
10-21-11, 09:31 PM
I don't know whether this is true but isn't sometimes Tourettes linked with AD/HD. I think I may have (some) Tourettes because alot of the time when I act impulsively I will swear and also if something goes wrong I'll immediate swear. I don't know but for some reason I just feel like swearing. I don't know why?! I may be sounding like a total asswipe but I'm being serious. Does anyone else have any info?

Marzipan
10-21-11, 10:23 PM
I don't know about Tourettes, but I swear impulsively all the time. And the running commentary in my head would make Quentin Tarantino blush (I don't actually mean any of it, it's just venting mostly). The problem comes when you get too comfortable with it and it happens naturally when you're, say, teaching elementary school children. :o

XboxGamer
10-22-11, 06:12 AM
Yeah I swear impulsively but I guess it's not Tourettes because it's not really a tic so it's probably not Tourettes.

rickymooston
10-22-11, 08:44 AM
I don't know whether this is true but isn't sometimes Tourettes linked with AD/HD.

Yes. I've read that this is true.

I have at least 2 ticks. Mine are pretty minor but the head nodding makes me look like an idiot sometimes.

Truth is, when I was younger, I used to be very afraid of thinking the wrong thing and some of the ways that made me act, were similar to what happens (apparently) with people with Tourette's.

I think I may have (some) Tourettes because alot of the time when I act impulsively I will swear and also if something goes wrong I'll immediate swear.

That doesn't sound like Tourette's but I could be wrong. As I understand it, the way the swearing thing works is like this.

Let's suppose, you don't particular dislike say black people, pretend you are white, for the sake of this example. You've been taught that using the N-word will really hurt or offend a black person. That saying it is wrong and offensive

You see a black person.

What crosses your mind, is, the wrong thing to say is the "N-word" but you don't trust yourself not to say it or ... you can't control it or something like that.

You blurt out the "n-word". The important thing is, you know saying the N-word is the wrong thing to do and that you don't want to do it. There is fear associated with this; you are afraid of saying this wrong thing.

I used to be afraid to think of bad things happening to people I care about. It almost drove my nuts. I over came it tho by learning to use a sort of "lack of caring", understaning I'm not going to cause bad things to happen to them. I don't know

I don't know but for some reason I just feel like swearing. I don't know why?! I may be sounding like a total asswipe but I'm being serious. Does anyone else have any info?

This may be your ADHD. Impulse is associated with ADHD.

I could be wrong but I suspect, you can override it. What you can try, is changing your thinking about swearing. I'm not sure how to explain it. [B]You probably also have to learn to trust yourself.

radiohead
10-22-11, 09:47 PM
I swear when i giving an opinion i feel strongly about. i do it in situations where i should not at times like at work. I also have quite complex tics that have happened everyday several times a day for as long as i can remember. i can mostly control tics in public but tic automatically when i am alone