mental illness, politics, and my stupid life, with illustrations

ginniebean
10-26-11, 03:19 AM
congratulations and good luck!

rickymooston
10-26-11, 09:11 PM
http://mimisradish.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/hello-world/

mental illness, politics, and my stupid life, with illustrations

I like your version of the creative process. Not bad.

Where do the random raw ideas go in "notes" or in "sketch". I like a whiteboard.

I'm a serial blog creator too. :(

I prefer the terms "disability" and "disorder" over "mental illness" when we are referring to ADHD. A lot of stigma's are associated with the term mental illness that don't really apply to ADHD. A typical person with ADHD, who doesn't have other problems, doesn't need to be confined to a mental hospital for example.

kathrynsmathryn
10-28-11, 03:00 AM
I've always considered adding more illustrations to my blogs... your blog may have inspired me to do so... :)

pechemignonne
10-28-11, 09:30 AM
I prefer the terms "disability" and "disorder" over "mental illness" when we are referring to ADHD. A lot of stigma's are associated with the term mental illness that don't really apply to ADHD. A typical person with ADHD, who doesn't have other problems, doesn't need to be confined to a mental hospital for example.
I use disability, disorder, and mental illness. ADHD is an illness of mental processes. It is included in the DSM. It is therefore accurate to consider it a mental illness.

I would rather get rid of the stigma than try to distance myself from other people with illnesses that affect their minds. I am not "better" than someone with another kind of mental disorder because ADHD doesn't usually require hospitalization.

Abi
10-28-11, 09:33 AM
Thank you.

Us crazy bipolar folks appreciate the show of solidarity.

Really. :)

pechemignonne
10-28-11, 09:48 AM
Thank you.

Us crazy bipolar folks appreciate the show of solidarity.

Really. :)
lol No probs, abi. I suffer from depression and anxiety, also, and I have had periods where they were so severe that hospitalization was an option. So i automatically chafe at someone trying to seperate ADHD from other disorders because "those people are crazy, and I'm not like that!"...

rickymooston
10-30-11, 07:10 PM
I never used the term crazy and hence you shouldn't include it in your reply. I do have some issues with the term mental illness. So critisizing me on that grounds is o.k.

I have a cousin who is bi-polar under medication who is a highly successful marketing executive. And her sister suffers from chronic depression under medication and is a vice president at her company. Both are mothers as well.

In terms of your anxiety and depression, there is a reason I added the qualifier "not normally". I am aware that coping with ADHD can cause these problems and that in addition co-morbid conditions can also exist; my own co-morbid conditions include two tics, coordination problems and a poor sense of direction. I'll confess that some of the time, I've experienced depression that may have been "chemical" in nature. I'm not sure.

I still hate the term mental illness. Mental illness is often associated with being unfit to make decisions and a vast other things that don't apply. In addition, its a bit hard to call something that is such a integral part of people's lives an "illness". You are born with ADHD. A huge number of people have it without even being diagnosed. The term disability makes a lot more sense in most cases.

In addition, when you fill out forms, say to travel to other countries they ask you "do you have a mental illness". The discrimination you are open to is very concrete. I will always say no to this question.

pechemignonne
10-30-11, 07:23 PM
Your views are yours. Mine are mine. Being that it's my blog, it reflects my views.

pechemignonne
11-08-11, 06:04 PM
New blog post!!

about how I haven't been making any blog posts...

It's actually not very exciting at all.

Blueranne
11-08-11, 06:14 PM
Hahaha... You should see all of my "talents" and "hobbies" I have stacked up in my closet.... oh and my journal too. :eek: wow, I forgot about that!

Nice blog though. :)

pechemignonne
11-08-11, 06:21 PM
Thanks!!

sarahsweets
11-08-11, 09:11 PM
I never used the term crazy and uhence you shouldn't include it in your reply. I do have some issues with the term mental illness. So critisizing me on that grounds is o.k.

I have a cousin who is bi-polar under medication who is a highly successful marketing executive. And her sister suffers from chronic depression under medication and is a vice president at her company. Both are mothers as well.

In terms of your anxiety and depression, there is a reason I added the qualifier "not normally". I am aware that coping with ADHD can cause these problems and that in addition co-morbid conditions can also exist; my own co-morbid conditions include two tics, coordination problems and a poor sense of direction. I'll confess that some of the time, I've experienced depression that may have been "chemical" in nature. I'm not sure.

I still hate the term mental illness. Mental illness is often associated with being unfit to make decisions and a vast other things that don't apply. In addition, its a bit hard to call something that is such a integral part of people's lives an "illness". You are born with ADHD. A huge number of people have it without even being diagnosed. The term disability makes a lot more sense in most cases.

In addition, when you fill out forms, say to travel to other countries they ask you "do you have a mental illness". The discrimination you are open to is very concrete. I will always say no to this question.

Like it or not adhd IS listed as a mental disorder: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/list-of-mental-disorders.html.

Its the best we can do.

Spacemaster
11-08-11, 11:02 PM
I shall give it a look-see! I've always wanted to start a blog, but I never get around to it. That requires so much of me! blah blah, whine whine. Maybe some day... gosh I say that far too much...

rickymooston
11-12-11, 02:37 PM
Like it or not adhd IS listed as a mental disorder

So, apparently you are right and they even call it a mental illness. :mad:

I still don't like it. :D However, your rrespective views are vindicated there.

I feel its simplistic to consider it a mental illness. It certainly is a disability. I would not call genetic deafness an "illness" either and many deaf people would be offended if I did. Many laws/policies discriminate against people with mental illnesses. I don't want that discrimination.

Back on topic, the blog is nice. I read it. Keep blogging.

Good job. Don't stop. :rolleyes:

pechemignonne
11-12-11, 02:46 PM
^^ Thanks!!

Jewelz81
11-12-11, 06:02 PM
lol No probs, abi. I suffer from depression and anxiety, also, and I have had periods where they were so severe that hospitalization was an option. So i automatically chafe at someone trying to seperate ADHD from other disorders because "those people are crazy, and I'm not like that!"...

I'm probably crazy... I'm certainly not "normal"... but usually it's the good (interesting, fun, weird) type of crazy, not the straight jacket kind..

pechemignonne
11-12-11, 06:15 PM
And if you were the straightjacket kind, so what? I wouldn't think any less of you.

Jewelz81
11-12-11, 06:24 PM
And if you were the straightjacket kind, so what? I wouldn't think any less of you.

Thanks. I'm glad you wouldn't. But the rest of "normal society" - which I seriously doubt "really" exists - I think most people are at least semi-crazy in their own way, even if they're in denial :cool: -- but still, they are not so like-minded.

pechemignonne
11-12-11, 06:36 PM
lol... Well, you can't please everyone, that's for sure. I think that if I tried to define myself by what is popular, *I* would completely disappear...

Thank you for commenting on my bog, by the way! Every comment encourages me to stick with it...

Jewelz81
11-12-11, 06:45 PM
lol... Well, you can't please everyone, that's for sure. I think that if I tried to define myself by what is popular, *I* would completely disappear...

Thank you for commenting on my bog, by the way! Every comment encourages me to stick with it...

Yea I agree... I don't get doing some things cuz it's what I "should be doing"

I used to have a bumper sticker that read "Normal People Worry Me" :-)p

And glad I could help.. I've "cheated" twice by posting a blog with a poll instead...
see below \/