View Full Version : Best cardio exercise

Gilroye
10-26-11, 07:52 AM
Hey...
Guys what do you think which is best cardio exercise...??
share your opinion with me...

sarahsweets
10-26-11, 10:03 AM
The best kind of cardio is when you move and burn calories.

Dizfriz
10-26-11, 11:27 AM
Hey...
Guys what do you think which is best cardio exercise...??
share your opinion with me...
There have been quite a few studies. Kenneth Cooper (one of the pioneers) recommends as best:

http://www.cooperaerobics.com/About-Cooper/Aerobics.aspx

Cross-country skiing
Swimming
Running or jogging
Cycling
Walking

Cooper has done a lot of original research comparing aerobic exercises.

I preferred cycling. In my younger days (later 30's) my aerobic threshold was somewhere around 180 (from memory). I could ride for 4-8 hours at somewhere around 140 or so and get up and do it the next day and the next. You cannot do this running without danger of damage.

I rode on and off until my early 60's and probably put in somewhere over 25,000 miles (I was not a fast rider-knee problems from my youth)

Another advantage is that I am a large person and found my body did not hold up to running over the long haul but I could ride year after year with no damage (no shock involved)

Swimming is also very good The advantage to swimming is that there is also no shock involved on the joints so no danger of damage and it gives a good upper body workout..

Living in the southeastern part of Texas, cross country skiing was not a real practical choice.

Interesting question, I did a lot of research on this in my primary cycling years.

Dizfriz