View Full Version : Low-carb, high-fat, low-sugar? (Atkins, Paleo, etc.)

kathrynsmathryn
10-27-11, 02:08 PM
Anyone here on that bandwagon? I've been trying for some time now, thought have made slow progress thanks to the depression (and also having a really low budget).

I've got a low-carb blog: http://hawaiilowcarblife.blogspot.com (http://hawaiilowcarblife.blogspot.com/)

I post recipes on it from time to time. Anyone here doing something similar? Or believe in the low-carb high-fat low-sugar movement? :)

Illiterati
03-12-12, 02:00 PM
I'm insulin resistant, so on the advice of my doctor, I have started a low-carb diet.

Glad to see someone else doing it (if you still are, I know I'm responding to an older post).

I went on the Atkins Way of Eating many years ago and was successful on it, but ended up falling off that wagon and gained the weight back. Since my doctor has diagnosed me with insulin resistance (and polycystic ovarian disease), it's time to get off my fat backside and begin taking care of myself properly.

The last thing I want is to end up becoming diabetic. :P

Sirrah
03-15-12, 12:06 PM
I've been on a low-carb diet (~50g carbs per day) since the start of the year. Was previously on a low GI diet with plenty of complex carbs, which I managed to lose a lot of weight with - I decided to try this to try to rid myself of those last few stubborn pounds. (About 15% bodyfat right now, would like to hit at least 10%)

Motivation/energy has always been an issue with me and when I started this it was worse than it'd been in a while, but it's been getting better.

Just yesterday I power walked for 7 miles and wasn't even hungry afterwards. (Sore legs today, though :p)

Unfortunately I can't say it's had any positive impact on any of my cognitive deficits.. at least not yet...

I did start taking Kelp supplements recently, as I was reading about Iodine deficiency and thought maybe giving my thyroid a kick up the **** might help. Long shot perhaps - waiting to see any results :)

One thing's for sure; I'm loving eating things that I didn't allow myself as a fat-phobe.