View Full Version : Clonazepam improves my sleep, but what's the underlying issue?

Chelsea Dagger
10-27-11, 04:17 PM
I was prescribed clonazepam three years ago due to insomnia and panic attacks after a breakup (we have since reconciled and are very happy). Since then I've taken it rarely, to cope with jetlag or at times when it's particularly crucial that I get a good night's sleep.

I don't have insomnia anymore, but my sleep quality is poor and I consistently wake up exhausted. Lately I've experimented with taking a small dose (half a pill, roughly 0.25 mg) before bedtime, and it works wonders! I feel more rested in the morning, and the Android sleep tracker I use shows considerably less movement when I'm medicated; my boyfriend confirms I toss and turn all night otherwise.

My sleep problems predate my ADHD diagnosis, and I'm off Adderall for the moment so that's not the cause. I have no risk factors for sleep apnea but suppose that's a possibility, although nothing I've read suggests sleep apnea can be treated with clonazepam. I sleep eight hours nightly, don't drink caffeine after lunch, turn down the lights an hour before bed, and have generally immaculate sleep hygiene.

Any thoughts? On one hand I'm glad the medication is working, but on the other hand benzos are not a class of drug I'd like to rely on this heavily. I do have a doctor's appointment coming up but don't want to go in uninformed, so I'd appreciate your suggestions.

sarahsweets
10-27-11, 04:38 PM
The nights that you've tossed and turned, did you get any sleep?

Chelsea Dagger
10-27-11, 05:00 PM
Slept through the night but did not feel rested the next morning. Assumed it was light or otherwise low-quality sleep, but I'm really not sure.

ADDarren
10-27-11, 05:07 PM
It could be some version of RLS, (restless leg syndrome) or PLMS (Periodic limb movement during sleep)

A benzo is one of the meds for these disorders.

I actually have PLMS, but didn't know until I had a sleep study done.
I take a small dose of requip before bed, to stop my twitching during sleep.

Just a thought.......

sarahsweets
10-27-11, 08:09 PM
I was asking that because my husband is narcoleptic and one of his symptoms was not getting into that good stage 3&4 sleep. He would be tired during the day because he didn't sleep well.