View Full Version : I Can't Stay Asleep at Night

StoicNate
10-28-11, 03:36 PM
I keep waking up at night (about 2-5 times a night). Even when I don't take my Dexedrine (I've gone a week without Dex and I still can't stay asleep).
I fall asleep ok/normally at usually between 11PM-12AM, but then I wake up like at: 12:50AM, 2:45AM, 4:10AM, 6:18AM, and 7AM...Etc..

I tried Melatonin, "Sleepy Time" teas, and Valerian. They work good at making me fall asleep, but I still wake up multiple times in the middle of the night...no matter how tired I am from them.

I always feel tired in the morning and unrested.

Any advice/help is very much appreciated.

StoicNate
10-28-11, 04:16 PM
Anyone else with this sort of sleeping problem?
I need something/remedy that'll keep me asleep. I also tried exercising to tire myself out...didn't work.

I haven't talked to my Doctor about it, but I will next time I see him.

sarahsweets
10-28-11, 04:29 PM
Hey nate. Have you looked into sleeping medications? I have one I really like but I didn't want to yammer on about it if meds were out of the question

Blueranne
10-28-11, 04:32 PM
I dont know if you are the work-out type but when I moved my work-outs to the evenings rather than mornings it helped a lot with my sleep issues. But yes, ambien is a life saver too.

StoicNate
10-28-11, 04:33 PM
Hey nate. Have you looked into sleeping medications? I have one I really like but I didn't want to yammer on about it if meds were out of the question

I never tried them. What sleeping med do you take?
Did you have difficulty staying asleep too?
Any side effects?

sarahsweets
10-28-11, 04:51 PM
I'm a hard to fall asleep /night waker. Ambien just made me groggy the next day. My doctor gave me sonata (generic is zaleplon ) it has about a 2 hour half life so I can take 1 before bed and then 1 in the middle of the night with no trouble waking up in the morning. I dont take it every night but I've been using it for 4 years with no weird tolerance issues.

pechemignonne
10-28-11, 05:52 PM
I take Zopiclone. If I don't take it, I have the same problem as you, it takes me a long time to fall asleep, and I wake up often.

The only problem is that unlike Sarah's meds, you can only take it once if you have to wake up in the morning for work or something, because it lasts for 8 hours. The upside is that I almost never wake up in the middle of the night on them.

danpan
10-28-11, 07:11 PM
My biggest problem had always been getting to sleep, but I started having problems like yours about a year ago. It doesn't sound like my pre-med difficulties were as bad as yours are, but I'll still share what I know.

For me, problems got worse when I started gaining weight. I had never been a snorer before, but after I put on about 20 lbs, my girlfriend says I started snoring. I don't know if you have an SO I'm sure you'd have heard about it by now... if not, maybe try a tape recorder or something. I know I have woken myself from my own snoring before, but usually I never even realize it's happened.

Also, are you a smoker? I am, and when I go through phases of higher nicotine intake, I sleep worse. Nicotine withdrawals and cravings hit even when you're unconscious, and they can have a negative impact on sleep. I have considered a weak patch for night-time, but the one time I tried it, it fell off.

I used to have a lot of success with 5-HTP, melatonin, and valerian root. A good combination of the three would generally knock me out all night, and I'd wake up feeling rested and in a good mood. I refused to take the whole combo every night though for fear of getting used to it. Also, I would not take 5-HTP if you're on any kind of serotonin re-uptake inhibitor.

I just now found Chelated Magnesium Glycinate to be a wonderful supplement to help me sleep. It gives me the extra "punch" I needed to sleep now that I'm on Adderall. Even the Ativan prescribed by my doctor weren't doing the trick, but the mag + valerian + melatonin has been awesome.

I'm sure you've already considered sleep hygiene, but in case you haven't, one of the best things you can do to help yourself sleep is to stay out of your room, especially off of your bed, unless you're sleeping or snuggling. If your computer is in the room, get it out of there. If you have a TV in there, move it on out unless you have a dependence on it to sleep. The idea is for your mind and body to associate that room with drowsiness, rest, and relaxation--and NOTHING even remotely stimulating (except for snuggling). The same applies if you can't fall asleep... it's time to get out of the room and relax somewhere else. The bed needs to be for sleeping only.

You have probably also considered temperature. I have been surprised to find that sometimes, temperatures I like are not conducive to sleeping. I like it cold when I sleep, but I've noticed that if it's too cold, then even if I like it personally, I will keep waking up. Same thing if it's too hot, though I have no love for that extreme.

I have an extreme sensitivity to light when I sleep. Back when I had a computer in my room, I had to put tape over the LEDs so the glow wouldn't wake me up or keep me from sleeping. In one sleep situation, I had to put towels or clothes on the crack, under the door, to keep excess light from the hallway from spilling into my room.

Sounds are another thing... not every sound will wake me up, but it only takes that one that for some reason catches my attention, and I'm awake--even if I'm not aware that I've heard it. I have giant fans running year-round in my room, mostly for the white noise. If it gets too cold, I aim them at the ceiling or the ground. It makes a big difference for me.

I hope some of this applies to you... lack of sleep is an awful thing to go through. Good luck man.