View Full Version : alprazolam (xanax) dosage question

shewei
10-29-11, 08:49 AM
Hi all, first post for me on this forum. Hopefully its in the right section.
First of all, im 26 years old and have only recently been diagnosed with ADD. Ive been diagnosed with (moderate) depression a couple of years ago. Only last summer (start of may) i started using Citalopram (its called Lexapro in the US i believe) for my depression. I didnt notice any positive effects so ive been off it for 4 weeks now. In two weeks ive an appointment with my shrink to discuss meds for the ADD & a new antidepressant.
Ive been using different forms of illegal drugs throughout the years (mainly alcohol, weed & uppers) partly as self medication but also (of course) for recreation. Since weening of and quiting the citalopram ive been stone cold sober. One of the positve (side) effects of my drug use was that it seemed to numb me, and slow down my thought considerably. Especially the last week my mind is back in overdrive, this combined with not so good feelings about myself and a contstant struggle to not use anything illicit is making me feel to put it euphemistically 'not so good'.
I went to my doctor and he prescribed me alprazolam. 3x day .25mg. Now. for my question. Im not noticing much (if any) from this dosage. I would like to know if this is a normal starting dose for xanax. Can i ask my doctor to up the dose (will it help, or am i 'immune'?). And can my years of alcohol abuse have had any effect on the effect of xanax?

Sorry for this huge wall of text and thanks in advance!

sarahsweets
10-29-11, 09:31 AM
I don't know the science behind it but I believe that drug and alcohol abuse can alter the way your receptors react to medication. Sort of like an opiate addict needing alot more pain medication to get relief. Have you tried a 12 step program or an addictions counselor to help you identify your addiction issues. Its often hard for any addict to use an addictive substance without endangering their sobriety although not impossible. What are you taking the xanax for? Does your doctor know your history?

Abi
10-29-11, 09:48 AM
.25 mg is a very low dose, regardless of previous substance abuse.

0.5 - 1 mg 2-3 times a day would be more reasonable.

btw: Citalopram is CELEXA in the US and CIPRAMIL in the UK, Oz, SA, etc
ESCITALOPRAM is LEXAPRO in the US and CIPRALEX in some other places.
Just wanted to clear that up.

The drugs are very similar but Lexapro is about 2.5 mg more potent per milligram (abistimate) than Citalopram/Celexa.

shewei
10-29-11, 10:14 AM
I don't know the science behind it but I believe that drug and alcohol abuse can alter the way your receptors react to medication. Sort of like an opiate addict needing alot more pain medication to get relief. Have you tried a 12 step program or an addictions counselor to help you identify your addiction issues. Its often hard for any addict to use an addictive substance without endangering their sobriety although not impossible. What are you taking the xanax for? Does your doctor know your history?

thanks for the fast responses. Yes, my doctor knows about my addictions. Im starting a program especially for that next week. I would like to use it basically to get some rest. I feel very wound up (if thats an english expression) about to snap (not in an aggresive/self harming way, mind you) and would like some rest (mainly from myself&thoughts). Im only gonna use it to bridge the two week gap from now till my shrink appointment. And since my doctor knows about my past he wont be giving it for longer than that :).

shewei
11-01-11, 04:16 AM
Well, i took this info to my doc but he refused to up the dosage. Really sucks since i finally started to notice some relieve when i upped the dosage to.75 mg myself. I can only do that once a day tho. Guess ill just have to sit it out. Take care all.

shewei
11-01-11, 04:41 AM
If you can afford to

... just go to three different GPS and get .25 x 3 x 30 from each ; pay cash and fill the scripts at different pharmacies

doesnt work like that here, doctor sends rx to 1 pharmacy and 1 pharmacy only.