View Full Version : Do onions grow on you??

latesha
09-27-04, 07:14 PM
I LOVE ONIONS. So I buy them often. However, I am the ONLY person in my home who likes them, so they GROW before I have a chance to use them. :mad: Now granted, they are not really all that expensive, but nothing is more frustrating than going to make a peanut butter and Onion sammich and your onions be growing all over the place. Well, I have FOUND A SOLUTION!

Store your onions in a BROWN PAPER BAG in the crisper drawer of your refridgerator, they will keep for MONTHS...and NO MORE GROWING! And best of all, whenever you get the craving for one of those yummy Peanut Butter and Onion Sammiches....YOU HAVE ONIONS!!! :D

paulbf
09-28-04, 01:55 AM
Heh, well this certainly is ON TOPIC in the misc cooking tips section (grin) BTW I love onions & peanutbutter but had not thought of combining them in a sandwich. Cooked onions & garlic with peanut sauce in a Thai or Vietnamese recipe sounds good though so I suppose it'd be fine.

I'll try storing my garlic that way.

latesha
09-29-04, 07:36 PM
Storing your garlic as you would your onions is a good idea. And I LOVE GARLIC!

Here is another one of my off the way misc. kitchen tips in regards to garlic.

If you use FRESH garlic cloves, and HATE peeling them because they are so small and all that jazz, run them under tap water for a second, then pop the clove into the microwave for 5-10 seconds, the peel will PEEL right off, no worries of breaking the clove of having your family or guests get a hunk of garlic peel when they take a bite of your wonderful garlic inspired dishes!!
:D

Spirit
10-11-04, 01:44 PM
OH excellent tips ya'll thanks.

I also chop onions up and store them in air tight container in the freezer. Usually the containers that already made frosting comes in.

Then i have chopped onion ready to go for soups, meat loafs, fried tators etc.

Hee hee actually I have hubby chop those onion as they irritate my eyes very badly. ;)

MovingOn
12-15-04, 10:03 PM
Actually, I found an even better solution for the sprouting onion problem.

Frozen chopped onions. They are already shucked and chopped and when cooking for 1 or 2 you can just grab what you need and close the sack back up.

And guess what else: They're cheaper at the moment. I only keep 1 or 2 fresh on hand. No more waste.

Just as good as sliced bread!!

Coral Rhedd
12-16-04, 12:46 AM
Do you like green onions? If you have a yard at all or even some potting soil and a pot, you can use the top of the onion and put the bulb in the soil. They will grow like crazy and you will never have to buy onions at the store again.

paulbf
12-16-04, 01:56 AM
I just put the whole bunch in the ground & nip off what I need from the garden. I like just a bit chopped finely raw as a seasoning. Actually, I started growing them in a pot full of sand now because they need really good drainage & rot easily.

speculative
07-19-11, 12:56 AM
Store your onions in a BROWN PAPER BAG in the crisper drawer of your refridgerator, they will keep for MONTHS...

I get a 10 lbs. bag of onions at Costco every two weeks; they never have a chance to grow before I devour the whole bag. :D Good tips though!

ginniebean
07-19-11, 01:00 AM
well pb and onion sandwich is not my cup of tea.. but glad you solved your problem.

Another way to peel garlic cloves is to smack them with the broad side of your knife. give them a good squish, and the peel just falls off.

mrs. dobbs
12-02-12, 08:14 AM
I love throwing bad onions in good compost and lettin em make more onions. Or onion bottoms.