View Full Version : President Obama steps up to easy drug shortages

Hyperman87
10-31-11, 06:52 PM
According to ABC News President Obama has sign legislation in to law effective Nov 1 that would help ease drug shortages of hospital drugs and help deal with price gouging for many of the medications on the FDA's list of drug shortages. Hopefully this will include Adderall for US ADHD'ers.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fesFb7cBGtw

Possum
10-31-11, 07:12 PM
I just read an article (http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111031/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_healthbeat_drug_shortage) about this. Apparently, some of the problem is greed on the part of drug manufacturers. They are creating shortages of even life saving cancer drugs - the price on one went from $26.00 to $1200 due to an artificial "shortage."

Vyvance, anyone? :mad:

salleh
10-31-11, 08:09 PM
Greed greed greed .....I decided a couple of days ago that greed is the deadlest sin of all......everything nasty and selfish and mean whether done by a country or a company or a person ......it all goes back to greed.....

which means that they're all stuck in the mentality of a 2 year old ....

don't remember exactly how it goes, but it does something like this.....

The Creed Of A 2 Year Old

It's mine
If I want it , it's mine
If you have it , it's mine
If I once had it , and don't anymore , it's mine
If I see it , it's mine
Anything, anywhere, ....it's mine

Hyperman87
10-31-11, 09:07 PM
Here's a link to current drug shortages in the U.S. According to the FDA
Funny thing is as of tonight 10/31/11 Adderall XR appears to be in good shape.:)
I hope the Immediate Release version of Adderall and Ritalin improve in availability

Any of us fellow ADHD'ers who are having trouble getting meds should continue to contact either the FDA or one of the manufacturer's of the drugs we need. Like Shire or Teva. Funny how there's plenty of Vyvanse. We should demand as consumers that the makers of Adderall continue to produce it like they should and if they don't we should boycott and tell them we won't accept Vyvanse.Hell I rather go back to Ritalin before I switch to Vyvanse due to Shire's greed.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm050792.htm

Impetus
10-31-11, 09:12 PM
OMG, I can't even stand to look at this crap anymore. So help me I am about to choke the next ***** that opens their yap! :mad:

Possum
10-31-11, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the link, Hyper! I notice that while XR is currently OK, there are still shortages of IR. ???? Go figure.

@Impetus - What? :confused:

Hyperman87
10-31-11, 09:55 PM
OMG, I can't even stand to look at this crap anymore. So help me I am about to choke the next ***** that opens their yap! :mad: Um did I miss something ? :confused:

salleh
11-01-11, 02:35 AM
more than one person is getting tired of all the talking about the difficulties many of us are having obtaining the medication we need .....and are speaking out about it ........

The only problem is that they are coming on to threads that are clearly marked as being about the shortages affecting us ......

It is very simple, if you're tired of this subject, then /......here's an idea ....don't read the thread ......just that simple .....

as for me ....I am past upset about these shortages and am considering radical actions .....

cancer patients are DYING because of the greed of the pharmasutical companies ????

Our lives ( ADHDers et al) are being trashed because of the greed of pharmasutical companies ???????

This is a subject that needs to be shouted from the rooftops .......it may be that the shortages have not yet hit your town ....or maybe your medication is not affected by those shortages...perhaps you take COncerta ....

Got news for you sweeties.....this can happen to you too......trust me ....anyone who relies on a daily medication for ANY reason can experience that stomache dropping thrill of blithely arriving at the counter of your local drugstore ....and being told that...Oh sorry there isn't any ....and we don't know when it will be available .....you'll just have to call around and see if you can locate some ......

.....or having an operation delayed or canceled because the hospital can't get the right meds ?????

but they have GONE TOO FAR with this one folks .....

......And I for one, am not gonna even think about doing without my meds .....I might even go out in a blaze of glory .....who knows? .....

....I am in a towering rage about this ......and I am Irish .....

sighduck
11-01-11, 02:50 AM
You guys are at least lucky to have the stuff sometimes available in your country... :(

Impetus
11-01-11, 02:52 AM
when I saw this thread come up I had just returned home from a 4 pharmacy search for meds. This was followed by googling articles to see if I can figure out what is going on and what to do.... and I pulled up a whole bunch of articles with a bunch of ignorant commentary.

:o

I wasn't harshing anyone's groove, I was AGREEING.

sarahsweets
11-01-11, 06:42 AM
http://www.ashp.org/shortages

BR549 shared this link with me too if it helps ...

salleh
11-01-11, 07:37 AM
oh yah it's that greed thing again .....

I say let's make these people shiver in their beds.....let's find out where they live and go be un-medicated at them ..ha

Old School MBD
11-01-11, 09:28 AM
Cheap adhd drug is guanfacine

$13.99 per month

Seems to be plenty of it

Possum
11-01-11, 09:46 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> From the article I cited above:

"Even though the FDA has successfully prevented an actual crisis, this is one of those slow-rolling problems that could end up resulting in disaster for patients and health care facilities all over the country," Obama said.

There's already a crisis in the eyes of many frustrated doctors and hospitals who are scrambling for supplies of medicines ranging from common chemotherapies, to anesthetics used in surgery, to the electrolytes that are crucial to IV feeding in intensive care. Fifteen deaths have been blamed on shortages. Patients have had treatments delayed, surgeries canceled, or had to use second-choice medications. Hospitals are reporting price-gouging — such as a drug that usually costs $26 being offered for $1,200…

Reimbursement for administering IV drugs is a percentage of the average sales price, what they call an incentive to prescribe a pricier version. Also, manufacturers want to produce versions with a higher profit-margin. Consider that shortages of a common cancer drug named leucovorin didn't start until the FDA approved a similar competitor that worked as well but, because it was new, was 58 times more expensive,

This makes me angry beyond words. It is bad enough when they mess with us ADDers, creating false shortages of less expensive meds while ensuring the supply of expensively priced vyvance is readily available. Has anyone heard of a vyvance shortage? I haven’t.

Its bad enough that they play games with us, but to slow manufacture of cancer drugs to the point where people are dying is simply unconscionable. :mad::mad::mad:

Mickster
11-01-11, 10:52 AM
Wow. Us Citizen and I live in Ireland. Had no idea about shortages. Government here has long term illness prog, avaialble to everyone, any age. Cancer, Diabetes, etc (any illness that will not go away) all meds, treatments , appointmenst are free. I have diabetes., never paid for meds that wouild have cost me at least 200$ a month back home.

On the Add Side, I take 180 Ritalin per month. 40 Euro. Increased from $36 last year. All pricing for meds are negotiated with Drug Co's by the Health Service.

My Family can only spend up to 120$ per month on ANY prescribed medication. anything after that is free.

Impetus
11-01-11, 08:11 PM

$13.99 per month

Seems to be plenty of it

why do I think this was an expectorant?? :confused:

Possum
11-01-11, 08:34 PM

The brand name is Tenex. It started out as a blood pressure drug, but is sometimes used for ADHD, as well.

selita
11-01-11, 09:41 PM
Guaifenesin.

That's a terrible name for a drug. Who can even spell that?

salleh
11-01-11, 09:49 PM
Sorry Imp.....my mistake ......

lets find all the heads of all the manufacturers ...find out where they live ....and go be unmedicated at them ....follow them around .....throw ourselves at their feet....and hold on ! .....let them try to walk with 4,000 ADHDers grasping their ankles !

and if that doesn't work ......

Medicatedme
11-03-11, 02:19 PM
I didn't think this would affect me but it has. It is a challenge to get ir. I found some but it cost me $175 for generic ir. It was costing me $27. Wtf.

I was recently approved for Medicaid in Illinois cause I have not worked steady in a couple years. That is good news. However the program will not pay for any of my psyc meds like cymbalta or adderall xr, so my dr switched me to ir cause it would be cheaper, ir is still not covered but I would pay the $30 a month out of pocket. Well now it's way more than $30 out of pocket for me. In fact my doc says the state will not pay for any ADHD meds for people over 18 years old.

I'm with salleh. Just say the word my man. Let's organize, let's fight. Today it is just adderall (in my situation) tomorrow it could be Someone in our families that could be the next ones denied life saving drugs.

Sorry to rant and for the long post. Hopefully if you still have ur meds you will make it through the post. 

Possum
11-03-11, 10:48 PM
You are right on, Medicatedme! Its always darkest right before it goes pitch black. Colorado Medicaid currently covers adderall prescriptions for adults, but this is quickly becoming a moot point.

APSJ
11-05-11, 01:54 PM
Please be aware of the following forum guideline when posting:

Banned Topics:
* The main focus of ADD Forums is to provide a safe supportive place for people affected by AD/HD, and other co-morbid disorders. To do this, sometimes we must limit the scope of the permitted topics, to foster such a supportive environment.

* We have had issues arise here that have prevented this from happening - primarily members voicing their opinions about religious and political matters. While everyone is allowed their own opinions, there really is no other way to prevent such issues from "disturbing the peace", except to keep these things completely out of the ADD Forums in the first place.

* It is against ADD Forums Guidelines to discuss religious and political matters on the ADD Forums.http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842

Recognizing that issues affecting people's ADHD treatment like medication shortages, and their origins, can be very difficult to isolate from political considerations, and there can be a fine line between the personal and the political, we do ask that you make the effort to avoid overtly political discussions.

We do have a private debate forum here:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=277
where this guideline does not apply. You can send a private message to me or any other super moderator for the password.

Posts have been edited or removed to conform with the above-referenced guideline.

Impetus
11-05-11, 03:18 PM

The brand name is Tenex. It started out as a blood pressure drug, but is sometimes used for ADHD, as well.

Criminy, I'm freakin' special! Guaifenesin is Mucinex. :rolleyes:

aren't you guys glad I'm not a pharmacist?? :p

Impetus
11-05-11, 03:21 PM

this is still an interesting little tidbit....

*wheels turning*

I added wellbutrin to the mix and got good result, wonder if I swapped out my lisinopril for this, maybe the two could work together well enough to get rid of the adderall???

twinch42085
11-30-11, 12:28 AM
Pharmaceutical companies do the best with what they are given. If anyone wants to blame anyone it should be the government. They put extreme restrictions on narcotic scripts, but yet they whine because our country is in debt.

Yes, pros and cons to my remark makeup the whirlwind that drains our stimulant supply to a hard drought.

Come the start of 2012 there will be an abundance of restricted narcotic induced euphoria being supped upon by the existence of humanity that mass production of popular prescribed drugs will once again redeem itself atop the profitable ladder in which it will soon fall down from due to the laws and regulations set in place 40 years ago by our government.

Has anyone seen the movie Limitless ???

I wonder if that pharmaceutical drug had any amphetamine chemical makeup to it? I going to say no because he does mention at one point during the movie that his mind was clear and he could see what needed to be done but without the jitters or shakes cause by other drugs.