View Full Version : a.d.d. and ocd diagnosis.....

annie10
11-02-11, 07:10 PM
hi ive got a 15 year old boy who was prem birth at 32 weeks never reached his milestones..has speech problem has never fitted in at school hes been bullied all of his schholing days...we know hes always been different...to cut a long stoy short we had him checked for dyspraxia...but was proven he was ok..hes done alot of very silly things over the years ..but it has come to last week of self harming..its the first time hes ever done it...so weve been our doctor who has referred him as emergency..to cahms service..now were in chichester england..i havent got a clue on how to go about getting him a diagnosis for ocd and a.d.d. as our doc has said that she is 80 % that this is what he has...does anyone know what i can do to get this moving alot quicker as i need to get the school involved now too..i dont care if i have to go private i just want to get him safe...

radiohead
11-02-11, 07:20 PM
Parenting is so worrying sometimes i really feel for you. Won't your doctor refer him to a psychiatrist for an assessment?

annie10
11-02-11, 07:33 PM
hi no she didnt...shes just referred him on..who would i need to see to get adiagnosis? would it be a psychotherapist?

LynneC
11-02-11, 08:08 PM
Annie welcome. I'm sorry to read about your son and I can understand why you are so worried. There are many members here from the UK; someone will see your post soon and give you advice...

julesjampot
11-03-11, 04:15 AM
Hello and welcome, i am here in England but im off to work when i read your post ,i will be back Keep in there Luv Jules

Sam I Am
11-03-11, 05:44 AM
You get assessment and diagnosis through CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service).

That's great that your doc referred you. Now you need contact CAMHS and re-iterate the "emergency" nature.

You get on the phone, say your GP referred your son as an Emergency, ask when your appointment is, ask if you can talk to the psychiatrist, talk about the self-harm. Be polite, but persistent.
If they don't have an appointment for you, phone again the following day, keep at them.

The receptionist at our CAMHS was able to recognise my voice when she answered the phone to me!

annie10
11-03-11, 06:50 AM
hi ive contacted camhs this morning.theyre in a clinical decision meeting about him at present they said when they know the outcome they will ring me ..ive stressed the importance of the self harming and that we dont know how to handle that side of things...so im hoping that they will stick to their word

annie10
11-03-11, 07:33 AM
hi weve been in touch with camhs earlier on and theyre in a clinical discussion about my son at present..so i said about the emergency as hes a self harmer and we as parents dont know what to do about this..so were hoping that we haer something later today

Sam I Am
11-03-11, 08:41 AM
That sounds like CAMHS are on the ball. Let us know how you get on.

Welcome to the forum.

julesjampot
11-03-11, 12:08 PM
Hiya Annie
Welcome again ,just back from work.What ive read you are on the right course CAMHS are the way forward and if they are listening to you and you are telling them the urgency of it ,im sure youre on the right track.
Just stay strong and be there for him ,we will all be checking in to see how things are for you.
Once a diagnosis is given you can think about what t o do to help him and in my sons case medication certainly helped Hugs to you ,you are not alone now Jules

annie10
11-03-11, 04:51 PM
hi jules..im not sure tho whether to go ahead with a private psych or wait for camhs,as weve now got a big problem..my son doesnt want to go to school as hes being bullied as the kids see him as being different..im really worried that he will flip if hes pushed..as hes self harmed im scared stiff that he will do it again! i really dont know what to do..i just need the docs to get him seen..theyre sending forms out to us and the school and as soon as they get them all back they said they will use a scoring system?? but i dont know how long it will take for the school to get these forms sorted...

radiohead
11-03-11, 06:53 PM
hi no she didnt...shes just referred him on..who would i need to see to get adiagnosis? would it be a psychotherapist?

I think your GP should refer him to a psychiatrist or a psychologist for assessment of his needs either can diagnose add I think. They may give you their opinion and depending on what they say you should use their report to go back to your GP to get a more thorough investigation from somewhere like Maudsley hospital in London. I think that is the way to get a thorough diagnosis as they can give him a detailed assessment at Maudsley.

radiohead
11-03-11, 06:56 PM
You get assessment and diagnosis through CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service).

That's great that your doc referred you. Now you need contact CAMHS and re-iterate the "emergency" nature.

You get on the phone, say your GP referred your son as an Emergency, ask when your appointment is, ask if you can talk to the psychiatrist, talk about the self-harm. Be polite, but persistent.
If they don't have an appointment for you, phone again the following day, keep at them.

The receptionist at our CAMHS was able to recognise my voice when she answered the phone to me!

Although reading this this sounds faster being that it is urgent

annie10
11-03-11, 07:09 PM
my son has stated that hes still being physically bullied at school..i dont want to send him as if he gets pushed too far he may doing something bad..but im not sure what the school will say if i keep him off also camhs said today that theyve sent me and the school forms to fill in as they do a scoring system??..and i need to get them back asap..but i dont think the school will get it done quick.im not sure he should be in school with his mental state being as :confused:it is,

radiohead
11-04-11, 06:17 AM
any chance you could home school him till he gets thru this difficult patch?

happytexas
11-04-11, 10:22 AM
any chance you could home school him till he gets thru this difficult patch?

In the US there are more structured, online schools available--sometimes from the school district itself; maybe this is available to you.

Home education in the UK (http://home-ed.info/)

annie10
11-04-11, 03:39 PM
hi i rang the school today who have in turn had a call from camhs about my son..weve decided to get our doc to write a letter to let him have some time off until hes settled down a bit..were thinking of letting him have a part time table..which we feel may help..we just need to get the forms sorted then were on our way

radiohead
11-04-11, 05:32 PM
I def think the break will do him good. This will give you time to build his confidence and put the bullys behaviour in to context for him ( i.e they are pathetic cowards who are no good on their own and have to hide in gangs);) Give him plenty of spontaneous praise not just when he is looking for reassurance and don't let him be aware that he is worrying you or he may see himself as a problem to everyone but let him know you are there for him and how much he is loved. when he is anxious try to distract him into doing something constructive and helpful so he can learn to cope with himself when he is feeling negative.

Play down the negative behaviour and give him opportunities to redeem himself at the first available opportunity. If he finds it difficult to express his feelings encourage him to give it an outlet in other ways e.g ask him to play a song that he feels like listening to and don't be judgemental if it is sad or depressing he is maybe just venting his feelings or maybe use art or other interests. I am not a qualified counsellor but these things have helped me when i have been stressed and I work with autistic adults and see how important it is to throw them the lifeline when they are anxious and feel unreal in the world .

say or do anything you can think of that offers that immediate comfort and reassurance you can always discuss things later when he is calmer and feels ready to talk. He will trust you to open up to you when he knows you understand how anxious he is. I hope you don't think I am patronising I am sure you are probably doing all this anyway but that is my advice. Also ask his guardian angels to take care of him. It works:)

annie10
11-04-11, 06:25 PM
hi thanks for that ive been really trying to be more positive..then cry when hes asleep..we didnt realise it was this hard..i always ask my angel for help...he does use music as a vent. that really helps.im sure with the right help he and us will get through this...just hope the school do their job!

radiohead
11-04-11, 06:53 PM
You will get thru Annie sometimes you feel so alone when times are hard but your not a lot of people can identify with you and your son. Your son is a sensitive boy but that is a strength and not a failing he just needs to believe in himself more and i know he will be a great asset to the world he is very brave he choose to harm himself and not others. You all get thru because you care and so does he he just needs to learn to express himself and he will because he has your love and support.

Sam I Am
11-05-11, 04:06 PM
I think giving him a break from school is a good decision.

I hope you are able to be at home with him and to connect with him. Rather than him staying in bed until afternoon and staying up all night playing video games by himself. As teenage boys are wont to do.

happytexas
11-05-11, 05:29 PM
hi thanks for that ive been really trying to be more positive..then cry when hes asleep..we didnt realise it was this hard..i always ask my angel for help...he does use music as a vent. that really helps.im sure with the right help he and us will get through this...just hope the school do their job!

I know it's a bit much for you to read a book at this time, but you may find this one helpful -- Genius!: Nurturing the Spirit of the Wild, Odd, And Oppositional Child by George T. Lynn .

annie10
11-05-11, 06:28 PM
hi sam i am..i work from home so i will be at home all day..he can chat to me when he wants and we can sing and paint and so on..so he can really relax hes not one for lazing about so it will be different for him.

mctavish23
11-05-11, 09:44 PM
Hi,

Hypothetically speaking,as I don't practice on the net.....

When it comes down to "recognizing" ADHD across the lifespan,

no time period is more crucial than the Adolescent Stage of Develop-

-ment.

During adolescence, the symptoms begin to change in very subtle ways.

For example, what most people consider to be "hyperactive," is really the

early childhood (ages 3-5yo) manifestation of the disorder.

As children move from Latency Age into Pre-Adolescence, the "hyper"

behavior turns into "restless and "bored."

That is ultimately how it presents during Adolescence,along with more

impulsive behavior.

I won't go into gender differences, other than to say that cutting/self-injuri-

-ous behavior (SIB) is often seen in depressed ADHD adolescents.

Generically speaking, that behavior is often viewed as high risk taking or

sensation seeking in some, anger + depression + impulsive FTW behavior

in others.

It's also important to recognize that there is a genetic vulnerability between

depression & ADHD,however,it requires a family hx of depression + some type

of social disruption / turmoil.

Realistically, "social disruption" & "turmoil" define being a teenager today;irres-

-pective of ADHD, which just makes everything worse.

As for OCD, you might want to look up the clinical/operational definition, as I

have seen everything under the sun called OCD, when it wasn't.

The symptoms MUST meet the DSM-IV TR diagnostic criteria first.

I know that sounds like a "no brainer," but that's easier said than done.

(Since I don 't practice on the net, I'm definately NOT second guessing your

primary care physician OR trying to tell you what to do,etc.)

I do,however,wish you much luck.

My primary references here are :

1) http://www.greatschools.net/pdfs/2200_7-barktran.pdf ?

2) The ADHD Book of Lists (Sections 1-12 and 1-13)) by Sandra Rief,MA

Hope that helps

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)