View Full Version : Inexpensive (maybe generic) but similar alternative to Abilify?

copperpenny
11-07-11, 06:24 AM
Hello, I lose my health insurance in a few months. I recently started Abilify and like it so far. But it's crazy expensive (would be like $600 without insurance).

Anybody have a recommendation for something similar but affordable? I also take Lexapro (20mg) and Adderall (40mg) and my Abilify dose is 5mg.

Macavity224
12-06-11, 07:48 AM
Just got prescribed Abilify, $700 for me that I can't afford obviously...waiting to see if there are any answers here.

Abi
12-06-11, 08:33 AM
Geodon?

We have Flupenthixol but its not sold in the States and not very helpful.

TygerSan
12-06-11, 08:44 AM
Sadly, the type of med that Abilify is is fairly new to the market, so any other drug with a similar mechanism of action is (I believe) likely to be newer and similarly priced.

The only suggestion I would have would be to try the drugs that Abi mentioned, which have a slightly different mode of action, but might work well for you.

Abi
12-06-11, 08:48 AM
I should add that while not an antipsychotic, Wellbutrin has had a significant "abilifying" effect on me. Might be worth a try. Like the OP I also take Lexapro (15mg) with 300 - 450 mg Wellbutrin.