View Full Version : Klonipin/Ativan, doc said makes tired, not for sleep?

foggedup
11-08-11, 01:10 AM
I met w/ a new doc 1.5 weeks ago and I went in there with a prescription history of klonopin .25mg 2x/day for anxiety disorder. He said a couple things I thought were interesting... It was my first appointment with him and there was a massive exchange of info, and now that I've had time to chew on it I plan to ask him more about it next time (this friday). In the meantime, I wanted to see what folks here thought/experienced.

He said:
- klonopin for anxiety in his experience has made patients tired, and that he prefers to prescribe ativan because it makes them less tired
- he's not a fan of using benzos for sleep

I thought klonopin was the least impact-ful of the benzos (Zanax being the most)? Has anyone found klonopin to be the more tiresome of the benzos?

For me, klonopin in the morning just takes the 'wound up' feeling away so I can take those deep, calming breaths. At night, after a full day, it does have a drowsy effect and I sleep well on it.

What else do folks take for sleep, besides Ambien/Lunesta? (terrified of those!)

BR549
11-08-11, 01:18 AM
I take chelated magnesium. Works great. Very relaxing and calming. Just make sure that you don't take too much. There are side effects from too much magnesium.

pechemignonne
11-08-11, 11:52 AM
Zopiclone. It's similar to but not the same as a benzo.

I only take if I have to work the next day, because you do develop a tolerance to it.

Abi
11-14-11, 05:26 PM
Xanax IR

TJM91
12-01-11, 09:53 AM
Then you should ask him about Halcion (Triazolam), Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol, where the word "roofies" comes from), and Temazepam (Restoril), oh and Xanax (Alprazolam) too.

Don't these doctors know individual response is key here, for example, I responded well to Adderall when I was younger but then they wanted to do Focalin, and I hated that crap EVEN THOUGH I said I was fine on Adderall.

foggedup
12-05-11, 03:48 PM
K went to doc's and he gave me Temazepam 15mg. Said it was a half dose, and to take 1-3 on nights I take dex later in the day. Wikipedia for all benzos says they disturb your sleep cycles. Doc said 'not necessarily.' We'll see how it goes tonight.

The z-drugs (ambien, lunesta, etc) scare me, what with people doing strange things on them. However I went in there wanting Sonata (zaleplon) because of what I read about benzos, the fact it's it's on my generic list, and it is the shortest acting of the hypnotics. Doc said that if I woke up in the middle of the night, it would stop working, and it might not be strong enough to counter the dex.

Let the experimentation continue...!

Abi
12-05-11, 05:05 PM
Wiki has some real nonsensical, alarmist, biased propaganda against benzo's (and is a bad source of medicl advice in general)

theloner
12-05-11, 06:10 PM
K went to doc's and he gave me Temazepam 15mg. Said it was a half dose, and to take 1-3 on nights I take dex later in the day. Wikipedia for all benzos says they disturb your sleep cycles. Doc said 'not necessarily.' We'll see how it goes tonight.

The z-drugs (ambien, lunesta, etc) scare me, what with people doing strange things on them. However I went in there wanting Sonata (zaleplon) because of what I read about benzos, the fact it's it's on my generic list, and it is the shortest acting of the hypnotics. Doc said that if I woke up in the middle of the night, it would stop working, and it might not be strong enough to counter the dex.

Let the experimentation continue...!

klonopin helped me, I would take 1/2 tabet 2x day the tabs were.05 so I was taking .0225 and a whole tablet at bedtime, I never had any problems, this was the only drug that worked with ritalin for me

SnareDrumzZz
12-15-11, 05:34 PM
Are you serious? Ativan is sedating as Hell. Moreso than Xanax. Klonopin has the most adverse affects in people and for me it does the opposite of what its supposed to do and keeps me up and makes me uncomfortable. Sounds like a doctor who needs to stop generalizing medications...

Abi
12-15-11, 06:08 PM
^^^^

Nonsense

tambourine-man
12-16-11, 02:20 AM
Ooh, Temazepam is the BEST sleeping pill on the market!

SnareDrumzZz
12-20-11, 06:05 PM
^^^^

Nonsenseno its the truth ive seen to many idiot psychiatric doctors saying they only prescribe klonopin and not xanax or only diazepam and its stupid. benzodiazepines do NOT affect everyone the same what might chill someone out could agitate someone else and klonopin is really good at paradoxical reactions

Abi
12-20-11, 07:59 PM
^^^

Only if the dose is significantly too high or the patient is very sensitive.

SnareDrumzZz
12-21-11, 03:02 PM
The dose of klonopin has nothing to do with paradoxical effects. It is good for some people and horrible for others. Same goes for all benzodiazepines.

Abi
12-21-11, 03:21 PM
Yes, I mentioned that bit.

Thats the "patient is very sensitive" part.