View Full Version : Nothing is aiding me with studying

Specialk91
11-08-11, 03:03 PM
Please help. I'm 20 years old and have ADHD and I took adderal 20 mg 2-3 times a day but because of a shortage I was prescribed Methylphenidate which so far has not helped. I take 1 or 2 and they wear off after 2 hrs. I just don't know what to do. I try studying for hours at a time and my mind is not able to focus on school work and easily distracted and cannot focus and remember what I studyied even in class. I studied for 11 hours one day and failed my test from what I did. My Dad is saying its you you need to change study method and so on but I just cannot focus to do my work. I feel like I panic it's soo bad. If I take to much my heart races very rapidly. I just really need help and I just am fed up with school this is why i'm doing soo poor in school no matter how much I study. I always go away from my house because it's easily distracting.

whatsthebuzz
11-10-11, 05:00 PM
Its obvious that the Adderall was working for you while the Methylphenidate isn't. Different medications work differently for different people and I don't see any reason why you would be taking medication that isn't really working for you. What do you mean when you say there is a shortage of Adderall? does the pharmacy that usually supplies it has run out ? or are you going to a doctor that no longer wants to prescribe Adderall to you?

You also sound like you might have an anxiety disorder as well, and you probably noticed by now that the worse the anxiety the worse your concentration, focus and ability to function well become.

I think you should tell your doctor about switching meds and about doing something for your anxiety. But it seems to me that once you've dealt with the inattention and the lack of focus and poor memory that the anxiety should subside on its own.

By the way what type of ADHD do you have? Managing your ADHD accordingly should help you tremendously and not all types of ADHD are dealt with in the same way.

QueensU_girl
11-15-11, 03:44 PM
Stimulants can make anxiety worse. BTDT. IME, hard cardio helps moreso with focus and relaxation.