View Full Version : Nutritional interventions and mental health.

Kunga Dorji
11-09-11, 06:40 AM
http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/walshQZ.htm

An interesting article that may provide a good point for exploration for the more independent minded ADDer.

We've known for more than 20 years that the metallothionein protein system does not perform well in most ADHD patients. About 68% of them exhibit very poor control of Cu & Zn, based on lab data from more than 6,000 patients diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. Autism is different in that about 90% of patients exhibit Cu/Zn imbalances that are generally much more severe than in ADHD.
This last should be of considerable interest as a particular polymorphism in one of the metallothonein protein genes (APO E4- homozygote, I think) is found in 90% of people with Alzheimers.

I will certainly be looking more closely at this issue.

I probably will have to do a bit of a "hit and run" on this one- as I have a very busy week or 2 coming up and may not have the chance to reply to any comments at length.
If anyone really wants me to comment - pm me. I do not receive email reminders of individual thread subscriptions any longer- I am too busy.

LynneC
11-10-11, 09:47 PM
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Just googling around (metallothionein) led me to glutathione and then to picnogenol. I wonder if picnogenol in combination w/ zinc would be beneficial?

LynneC
11-10-11, 09:53 PM
re Apo E4 allele and Alzheimers, it's about 40%; Apo E4's also have significant risk of heart disease...
http://www.nia.nih.gov/Alzheimers/Publications/geneticsfs.htm

Kunga Dorji
11-12-11, 09:52 PM
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Just googling around (metallothionein) led me to glutathione and then to picnogenol. I wonder if picnogenol in combination w/ zinc would be beneficial?

Lynne,
I am far from being expert on this.
I did attend a really interesting lecture by a Melbourne neuropsychologist just recently though.

His emphasis was that toxic heavy metals increase oxidative stress

I attend to oxidative stress in several ways:
exercise
relaxation
supplementing with n-acetyl- cysteine (alters the intracellular glutamate- glutathione balance towards glutathione)
Supplementing with selenium (brazil nuts).

Glutathione peroxidase is a key element in the management of oxidative stress and "free radicals" (of which I am probably an example at the macro level:)).

I am told that alpha lipoic acid and milk thistle are also useful in the disposal of heavy metals- though I have no data to back that up.

It is now possible to get targeted genome profiles to assess what your individual metabolic weaknesses are and how best to manage them through dietary modification.

I am looking into having this done myself - but I will pay for it in cash, and I will not have my name attached to it. This is the sort of stuff that insurance companies can use to deny us life insurance etc.

Now re references_ look at
Dr Mark Hyman's book "The Ultramind Solution".
I know that people here will blindly accuse him of self interest in that he sells supplements-however his data is very well referenced, and the book is well regarded amongst people who work in this area.
It is also very complete and relatively easy to read.

Re genetic testing:
This is one company doing it in Australia:
http://www.smartdna.net.au/

This is definitely "avant garde" stuff- and as consumers we have to use our common sense and do our own research.

I do know perfectly well though
1) It is science based
2) I will probably die of old age before it becomes standard practice.
( I will be 50 in 2 months- and have every intention of living well into my 90s- there is plenty of precedent for a healthy old age in my family history).