View Full Version : Was ADD/ADHD mis-diagnosed as Bipolar II

veraud
11-14-11, 06:34 PM
I've had many years of psychiatric treatment & was diagnosed as Bipolar II a couple of years ago. The difficulty for me was that it seemed like Uni-polar depression to me.

Is it possible that I was mis-diagnosed all these years??

After less than a week with a new diagnosis & new meds, I can see the fog lifting.

I'm able to actually cook supper for my family!! I'm beginning to function like a normal human being again!!

I am still throwing temper-tantrums, but I haven't been hyper-all-over-the-map at all!!

I suspected that there was more to my depression than anyone could tell me. I researched psychiatric conditions and depression, & found that in adult women, ADD/ADHD can look like depression.

It took me another 6 months of discussing it with friends before I was brave enough to bring my research to my doctor. He set me up for TOVA testing, & sure enough, My suspicion was confirmed.

I am still early in treatment & diagnosis, but I am increasingly hopeful that I can have a contented life, instead of wishing my life were over.

Thanks,
Audrey

Maverick420
11-25-11, 08:44 AM
Yes, this might be the case that you have been misdiagnosed with Bipolar-II. Also, in 20% of the cases bipolar and ADHD come together.

From the information you presented my conclusion is that you are ADHD with mild-medium depression.

I would be interested to here more about your progress.

sarahsweets
11-25-11, 11:14 AM
Adhd and bipolar mimic each other alot. However if you are responding well to the psychiatric treatment then I would say just roll with it and work towards treating the adhd. If things are improving then enjoy the fog that's lifting.