View Full Version : Will Wellbutrin help with these symptoms?? Desperate

cinfid12
11-15-11, 01:55 AM
So I got re evaluated and now they say I don't have ADHD. My brain actually slows down when I get bored according to the doctor. And I get bored ALL the time, it is very hard to entertain myself, my libido is no where where it used to be, and I have no motivation. I don't think I am depressed just extremely frustrated. I am 22 by the way so I know this is not normal. Should I give wellbutrin a try?? I already tried SSRI's (zoloft, celexa, prozac and they did nothing) What do you guys think? thanks

never2late
11-15-11, 02:43 AM
Wellbutrin did up my sex drive.I was taking stimulants with it. I say that only becasue now I am no longer on it and I have none. If you do take it have someone close to you that you trust monitor your personality changes. I was told I became an emotionless robot. Which was great for getting things done but not so much for dealing with people. I am wishing I had stayed on it and added an ssri to see if that would have changed that aspect. But everything you read says wellbutrin effect sex drive. Just as ritalin could make you "hornier" becasue it effects Dopamine so might wellbutrin. The kick on the pants gives you energy if you are feeling lethargic and unmotivated and gives your libido a boost. At least in my experience.

cinfid12
11-15-11, 12:06 PM
Alright thanks a lot for your reply, what about drinking alcohol? I'm in college so its definitely going to happen. My friend takes wellbutrin and drinks heavily on it, I know everyone is different though.

Abi
11-15-11, 12:13 PM
Wellbutrin has helped me significantly with increasing my levels of motivation.

It has also helped my SSRI-damaged libido.

I would VERY STRONGLY advise you give this medication a try.

Good luck :)

never2late
11-18-11, 04:27 AM
Um drinking alcohol with it....... I read something about how your liver processes the wellbutrin. Liver processing wellbutrin= less liver to process alcohol. This could mean worse hangovers and maybe liver damage ( extreme scenario prob if done for a long time). When I was 22 I never got hangovers, so you might be ok. But anything you take that messes with you brain will amplify/change your bodies reaction to alcohol. I tried to reply as adultly as possible. Just be careful.

ponychompers
11-20-11, 01:04 AM
I used to take Wellbutrin before I knew I had ADHD. It did increase my sex drive. Which took a nose dive when I went off it, so be aware.

I used to be a bartender, and drinking with the customers was expected. Completely cutting out alcohol was not an option. My doc told me to be cautious and try to limit myself to 1 or 2 drinks (which is all anyone should have anyway, ha ha). This happened naturally as I could no longer handle the same amount of alcohol after starting Wellbutrin. Obviously talk to your doc about drinking on Wellbutrin because they know best, but mine wasn't too concerned as long as I wasn't binge drinking or using illegal drugs and binge drinking.

If you are with friends at a bar, ask the bartender for plain soda water or plain cola in the same glasses they use for making cocktails and to garnish it how they would a cocktail, or ask for a "kiddie cocktail." We are used to these requests, many people don't drink but would like it not to be obvious. I used to have my one or two drinks then switch to plain soda water with a lime, or if I was feeling tired but adventurous Redbull with a healthy splash of cranberry juice. No one was the wiser.

shutupdonny
11-20-11, 02:21 AM
I'm on wellbutrin and celexa. they balance each other well. But if I drink a lot on a given night I feel like crap for about three days (and I don't mean hungover). I'm fine if I just have a couple beers. I'm 40 so take that into account when digesting my advice. My body doesn't bounce back from a heavy night of drinking like it did when I was 22.

aarondev
12-05-11, 03:25 AM
For WB + Alcohol: What I've read over and over is that it increases your capacity to drink because your body is processing it less. What this means is that its bad from both ends. It takes more alcohol to reach the same states of relaxed you had before. And then on the other end the hangover is worse, too.

I don't see why alcohol is inevitable at college. You can avoid it if you try to, especially following that other poster's idea of cranberry juice + redbull. I mean, what if you were allergic to it (which plenty of people are)? It would make beer pong harder to partake in, but its not something that you'd get excluded for.

Finally, there are very few SSRIs which do not impact libido/sexual function. WB is one of them. But remember NOT to follow just one doctor's opinion of what you do/do not have. Personally, I took a objective scientific test that helped suss it out. Because ADD is honestly very similar in presentation to several other mental health disorders that its not enough just to self-diagnose. But as for your other options? Talk to your doctor about your Testosterone and HGH levels. It turned out I had a genetic disorder that caused me to produce a lot less T than I was supposed to; once I got this corrected then the similar symptoms I experienced mostly left!

sarahsweets
12-05-11, 10:04 AM
Get a second opinion before believing you are not adhd. Some doctors just don't know any better.

PixieVixie
01-11-12, 08:32 PM
In regards to WB and alcohol: I get horrific hangovers from the mix just terrible!

Don't let that scare you though I would highly recommend this medication if SSRIs do not work for you. Before being on Wellbutrin I was put on SSRIs and the results were horrific and terrible. My side effects with WB are minimal. (oh well my libido is through the roof but I do not mind that at all :P)

Snaggs
02-11-12, 08:20 PM
If your brain slows down when bored, and like you say that being most of the time, I wouldn't go off the word of the doctor quite yet. I suffer from what my doctor said is rather severe case of ADD. My primary piece of trouble, other than intense fatigue, is an almost complete lack of enjoyment doing anything. I must have a very prominent dopamine shortage, since dopamine deals with satisfaction, which I so lack. If you can't enjoy anything, you will become bored, and for me that's the primary battle with my ADD. Once I am able to stay awake, of course.

hollywood
02-13-12, 01:14 PM
snaggs.

so what are you saying that wellbutrin works well for you ?