View Full Version : Gabapentin

Kirby Albee
11-15-11, 07:56 PM
Anybody been put on Gabapentin before? What's it like? What's it do?

buddy
11-15-11, 08:30 PM
My doctor put me on Neurontin last year.At that time I was lowering my dose of Xanax & the psychiatrist put me on it.I was taking 4mgs of Xanax daily & the doctor just said
that this would help wean me off the Xanax.I took it for awhile but stopped it because I started to get headaches & thought it was possible the Neurontin was causing it.I still don't know if it was causing the headache.I'm sure someone will come along with more information.Hope this helps somewhat.

Maverick420
11-18-11, 01:48 AM
Why not pregabalin? It is more potent and seems to have less side effects. I started it on Monday.

Kirby Albee
11-21-11, 10:00 PM
I don't know. This is all new to me, pretty well; and my doctor doesn't often go into deep explanations. I think he picked this stuff because almost everything else that was either specifically for anxiety or had anti-anxiety properties tended to make me sluggish and depressed.

Maverick420
11-24-11, 06:06 AM
I don't know. This is all new to me, pretty well; and my doctor doesn't often go into deep explanations. I think he picked this stuff because almost everything else that was either specifically for anxiety or had anti-anxiety properties tended to make me sluggish and depressed.

You can give it a try.

The follower of Gabapentin with the name Pregabalin didn't get approval for anxiety from FDA but here in Germany, Doctors use it more and more and really seems to help. Prevailing is basically more potent then Gabapentin is but it seems worth a try.

Would be interested if you share your experience.

Kirby Albee
11-28-11, 08:24 PM
I can only go on what's covered. So far, if the regular stuff's had any effect at all, it's just made me feel dopey.

theloner
12-01-11, 07:09 PM
Anybody been put on Gabapentin before? What's it like? What's it do?

Made my head feel awful could not take

Ps49556n
12-07-11, 01:07 AM
I have been prescribed gabapentin as an as needed anxiety aid since benzodiazepines are too addictive for me. I found the the gabapentin can work well although it is definitely not fast acting and it is not a consistent like a bEnzo.

As far as dosage goes, I found that after you go above 600mg per dose the benefits reverse and just make me tired.

La Sleepy
12-08-11, 04:22 PM
I just joined here, I came in from a google search on some of my other medications. However, I did start gabapentin (neurontin) last Summer. I thought I might have something helpful for you. I was prescribed the gabapentin because I needed something more for anxiety (agoraphobia kind of thing) but I am already on 1 mg clonapin three times a day and I hate xanex, so I didn't want any more benzodiazapine class of drugs. I started out on 300 mgs of gaba three times a day. This was the first time in decades that I had a new drug prescribed for me and also had the internet to check out info on it. So I did. And what I learned was that this drug is reportedly very slow acting. As in......takes hours for onset, but then lasts for a really long time.

This was enormously helpful to me. I also found a site where a doctor gave an equivalent dose of approx 1000 mg of gabapentin to 5 mgs of clonapin. So with this information, I was able to sort of get ready to observe more carefully what the gabapentin was doing for me. Without that info, I might have noticed nothing.....I can be stupid like that.

You mentioned that you wanted help with the anxiety but not the sluggish feeling from benzos like xanex, right? Well, I noticed that my clonapin use did in fact drop very quickly on the gaba. It replaced the clonapin, as someone already mentioned.

I don't want to write an epic in my first post, but I think that if you look up as much info on gaba as you can find it will help you decide if the drug is for you or not. I started taking two in the morning first thing, and they did not take effect for hours, but then they were incredibly helpful. As in, I felt alert and comfortable all day. Eating a normal meal several hours after taking the gaba seemed to help metabolize the medication correctly.

Your experience may be completely different, but I hope this is helpful to you. After having been helped so much by what I found out about the gaba, I really wonder what would have happened if I had been able to get a lot more info on many of the other drugs I've had prescribed for me over the years. Bless the net.

MismedicatdMess
12-22-11, 02:10 PM
My doctor and I tried to use Gabapentin last year so we could try and taper off and eliminate having to take klonopin or any benzo. It seemed very successful as I gradually stepped below 2mg down to about .75mg clonazepam.... but it stopped there. as I got down to .75 clonazepam, withdrawal symptoms began to appear despite whatever dose of Gabapentin we played with, and I Was taking about 1000mg of Gabapentin a day. Then when I tried to continue down to .5mg clonazepam, my anxiety returned like a vindictive ***** and insomnia appeared. This continued until we pretty much gave up, the Gabapentin being no longer effective, and had to return to 1 to 2 mg clonazepam per day. Gabapentin may prove very effective for certain conditions, but personally, benzo departure is not one of them.

Snaggs
02-11-12, 08:24 PM
IT works SUPER well for me @300mg 3 times a day. Gives me energy, lowers anxiety to a high degree and even helps with ADD symptoms and depression. To me, it would be perfect, except for the occasional heartburn and slight amnesia. For anxiety though, I rate it second to none.

La Sleepy
02-16-12, 06:03 PM
So that must be what's causing my heartburn and weird gastric stuff.....the gabapentin. It says all over the bottle not to take antacids with it, so I just suffer. I've had some amnesia as well, and a staggering kind of thing happens to me every once in a while. It all settled down and now I agree, it does work super well for my anxiety.

BlackorWhite
02-24-12, 08:16 AM
very long onset, lasts a long time, usually taken in high doses. Initially, it will make you very tired, but this wears off within a few days. Works incredibly for anxiety and may increase mood significantly. Very good for masking withdrawal feelings. Some describe as being in a 'dream like state' yet not slow or sluggish, focused. Tends to increase appettite. traditionally used as an anti-seizure med, now used for other purposes including pain relief.