View Full Version : I just can't figure this out!!! Awake at night.

WorkAholic
11-16-11, 12:21 AM
When you first read the title you probably thought I am awake at night (by awake I mean not falling asleep in the middle of things) because I take my medication late in the day/night.

Not true. I take my meds morning/afternoon/SOMETIMES early evening. I can always sleep, always tired. But I seem to be most awake at 11pm or so. Strange. Nothing with me makes any sense though. Hopefully my new doc tomorrow can help or I'm outta luck.

Anyone have this issue?

never2late
11-16-11, 12:38 AM
I also have this issue. I looked into stuff about circadian rhythm. Im no scientist but from what i ascertained it is regarding your internal body clock. Light therapy supposedly helps to reset this internal mechanism. RIght now your "clock" is set to be awake at 11pm ( just like me). So giving yourself light therapy ( i have a light box its not a tanning device just bright light) when you first wake up tells your body to produce whatever NT earlier than they are (when you body is "awake" at 11 PM). It has something to do with melatonin i think. Like I said I am not an expert, but from my searchings on my own issues this is what I have concluded. On the other hand, I have also read alot of posts about the wonders of trazodone as a knock out device to put them down for the night. I don't know which is better, i have never tried it. I can say that I have been using the light therapy and taking klonopin at night to shut up my brain which helps me fall asleep. I also noticed that when I eat breakfast next to my light box, I find that I have an easier time initiating my homework, which I do right afterward (Im back in college). I hope this helps you figure yourself out. Good luck.

never2late
11-16-11, 12:41 AM
Oh i think i misused the forum terminology I thought NT was shorthand for neurotransmitters but I think I just read a post that said it wasn't. In my post NT=Neurotransmitters (Dopamine, Seratonin, Gaba, etc) Sorry for the misnomer.

emploding
11-16-11, 01:03 AM
Actually, I have the same issue. I can be exhausted and go to bed at 9pm, but be wide awake around 11 or 11:30. I can go to bed at 10 and be wide awake around 11 or 11:30. If I go to bed closer to 11, I can usually sleep through. Sometimes I also wake at 3am and can't get back to sleep!

Most frustrating. I can sleep through the night if I take ambein or valium though.

dcswen1
11-16-11, 03:48 AM
Trazodone is nice. Burns clean. No chemical hangover. If I don't take it, regardless if I'm on my ADHD meds or not I will be awake till the sun comes up. Its also inexpensive, and after talking to my dr. about it not all that habit forming.

Regarding cercadian rhythm I don't think it much applies to the ADHD brain. Just a guess. Not a Dr. Wish I played one on TV. Then I could afford these !!!! meds and these !!!! Dr. visits.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
11-16-11, 06:38 AM
me too, can't fall asleep before 3 or 4am 99percent of the time and it doesn't matter how much sleep I got the night before or didn't get. It doesn't make any difference if I'm on meds or not either.

the only thing meds do for me is help keep that time consistent, klonopin helps to shut my mind up and ritalin helps to wake it up, but long before I took these I was always more awake at night. it's kinda frustrating in the same way ADD is frustrating; nobody believes you when you tell them about it! they just say your lazy or you need to do this or that. may be true for some but not for me.

there is a thing called DSPS which is delayed sleep phase syndrome, if you want to make someone laugh tell them you have this. then google it and show it to them, chances are they won't want to read more than a paragraph because they'd rather not think about it that much but I know there are other people who have the same circadian rhythm patterns as I do.

I live in Southern California, when I've traveled to Europe I find myself on the same sleeping schedule within a week of being there. Actually jetlag is a good description of what it feels like on a daily basis if you're not allowed to sleep in a way that fits your body's natural rhythms.

It makes sense though, certain animals are nocturnal, certain humans are nocturnal... oh bla dee oh bla da life goes on....

WorkAholic
01-01-12, 01:57 PM
Interesting, I didn't realize there were so many people who experience the same thing as me.

Thanks again for the responses. Always nice to know I'm not the only one going through it.

dsvlil1
01-01-12, 04:42 PM
I've been told this is rather common in adhd populations.

I'm hideously impervious to sleeping aids so there's not much point in taking them. The more I struggle to put my body into a "normal" sleeping pattern the more messed up I get in terms of the general fuctionaling, but if I listen to my body and let it sleep when it wants to everything is so much less painful even if it does mean sleeping from about 5am to 1pm.

Nifferka
01-01-12, 05:45 PM
I've heard more than one person mention that taking meds in the evening actually helps them get to sleep. Basically, your unmedicated brain won't let you sleep. Who was it that described going to sleep as "Lying down in the dark waiting for nothing to happen"? It's too boring, so your brain starts buzzing, just itching for you to do anything other than slow down your thoughts and sleep.

It's a common problem.