View Full Version : New to Focalin (XR)

addG4guy
11-16-11, 03:39 PM
Hello,

I just started Focalin XR today and thought I'd share my experience so far. I took the first pill today at around 9:30AM and about a half an hour started noticing a difference. Instead of having all these thoughts in my head going at once, it is like the fog has cleared - I can think one thought at a time. I definitely notice more focus and concentration, but not as much as I thought I would. Definitely noticed some appetite suppression - had a hard time eating lunch. I suppose I will update this thread in the evening after the dose has worn off.

Has anyone else had similar experiences on Focalin XR? I haven't taken stimulants since 2005. I took Ritalin for a little while, and Focalin feels very similar.

hollywood
11-16-11, 04:31 PM
does it feel the same or better or worse out of curiosity?

addG4guy
11-16-11, 05:42 PM
does it feel the same or better or worse out of curiosity?

Are you referring to Focalin feeling like Ritalin? It feels the same, really. Maybe a little better, but not worse than Ritalin felt.

addG4guy
11-16-11, 09:13 PM
It's a little after 7 PM right now. Around 5 PM, I noticed my appetite increasing. By 6 I could tell the drug was starting to wear off. Now at 7 I feel just kinda weird.

Nnnnnn
11-16-11, 10:34 PM
It's a little after 7 PM right now. Around 5 PM, I noticed my appetite increasing. By 6 I could tell the drug was starting to wear off. Now at 7 I feel just kinda weird.
I had the appetite suppression only the first day. It makes me not drink, I barely drink anything the whole day but i still get hungry.
When it wears off I get sleepy but it only lasts for 30 min to 1hour then i'm back to normal. The first few days were weird too then after a week my body got used to being medicated.

addG4guy
11-17-11, 12:19 AM
When it wears off I get sleepy but it only lasts for 30 min to 1hour then i'm back to normal.

YES, I felt really tired when I started to notice it wearing off, but then the tiredness wore off within 30 minutes and I felt fine. Seemed to last a good 8-10 hours for me.

Nnnnnn
11-17-11, 09:36 AM
YES, I felt really tired when I started to notice it wearing off, but then the tiredness wore off within 30 minutes and I felt fine. Seemed to last a good 8-10 hours for me.
Me too, sometimes it works for 12 hours, it might depends on what I eat/drink or because drank and slept enough on those days.

hollywood
11-17-11, 11:10 AM
usually caffeine helps around 5:30pm, its the perfect time to give you additive help without cutting into your sleep. I see you take prozac in additon to focalin. How do you feel about the prozac, did it ever seem to make things more difficult to focus . I'm considering it again.

addG4guy
11-17-11, 11:50 AM
usually caffeine helps around 5:30pm, its the perfect time to give you additive help without cutting into your sleep. I see you take prozac in additon to focalin. How do you feel about the prozac, did it ever seem to make things more difficult to focus . I'm considering it again.

Prozac has worked wonders for me. It completely eliminated my anxiety, which I had been struggling with for years. I had tried other SSRI's, but none of them seemed to work.

Last night I had a little trouble with sleep. I'm not sure if it was due to the Focalin or not. I woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble falling back asleep.

hollywood
11-17-11, 03:04 PM
Hey did the prozac ever give you insomnia , how about fatigue when you started it. Its the only ssri that makes me feel happy and stop worrying about stuff, I guess I'm just really unhappy right now. I guess that makes sense when you have a job where your always doing the same thing over and over and over again. When you started prozac did it make you feel really tired at first? What dose did you start at?

addG4guy
11-17-11, 03:22 PM
Hey did the prozac ever give you insomnia , how about fatigue when you started it. Its the only ssri that makes me feel happy and stop worrying about stuff, I guess I'm just really unhappy right now. I guess that makes sense when you have a job where your always doing the same thing over and over and over again. When you started prozac did it make you feel really tired at first? What dose did you start at?

I've always had trouble sleeping, and therefore tired during the day. I didn't notice any difference with Prozac. I started at 10 mg in the morning, and after about a month went up to 20 mg.

As far as the Focalin XR goes,
Day 2:
- Took it at 9:15 AM. Didn't notice the dramatic effects of the drug kicking in 30 mins later.
- Mild tachycardia (increased heart rate). I don't have any heart conditions that I'm aware of, so I'm not very concerned
- Appetite suppression, not as much as yesterday, but still had some trouble eating lunch.
- I feel in a good mood. I feel like I have the motivation to get things done.

addG4guy
11-18-11, 06:19 PM
Day 3:
-Took it an hour earlier than I did the previous 2 days.
-Noticed some stomach pain about an hour after I took it.
-Limited my caffeine intake, which reduced the tachycardia
-Feel physically lousy. Stomach pain comes and goes.

I dunno, I don't really care for this med. It's starting to feel like Ritalin LA felt. I'm gonna talk to my doctor.

addG4guy
11-21-11, 01:44 PM
I took the Focalin with food this morning, and don't have any stomach pains. I feel nervous and kind of shaky. About an hour after I took it I started feeling really hyper and energetic. I haven't given up on this med yet, but I think it's worth looking into other options.

addG4guy
12-01-11, 01:18 PM
Switched to Vyvanse.