View Full Version : Benzo for GAD, Panic Anxiety and bipolar disorder problems

Maverick420
11-16-11, 08:59 PM
Hi there!

I already do have a very long psychiatric history with 26. Now I need to find a one or two Benzodiazepines to deal with acute problems, related to my disorders. This are my diagnoses:

Asperger ... diagnosed 5 days ago :-(
ADD treated with dextroamphetamine, doesn't increase the anxiety
Bipolar Disorder Typ 1 extreme mania, mixed states, servere depression, treated with Lithium and in emergency Haloperidol (high potent antipsychotic)
General anxiety disorder - started treatment on Monday with Pregabalin
Atypical Panic Disorder (may be related to Asperger)

I really was in bad anxiety state the last days. At home I already have Diazepam und Lorazepam. When we started the Pregabalin I was shaking my head and telling my doctor, that I am not using Benzos.

Okay. I gave up. It's just too extreme. I dropped the stimulants over the day for 3 days but they don't make think worse, they improve things when the general anxiety is not so bad.

So Lorazepam doesn't work for me. I can take 3 mg and nothing happens.

Diazepam helps againgst the GAD a bit. I do take 10 mg but I have approval til 30 mg. It seems to help me better deal with my anxiety but when I'm in the bed the anxiety hallucinations come. I try to cope for 2 hours but I can sleep, iI am 100% alert and then I come to the point where I take diazepam. It seems much to weak for anxiety and Lorazepam has no effect for me.

I also have this atypical Panic. I am lost in a topic and can't get out of it. Everything needs to be figured out, researched, communicated. It's some kind of anxiety-worrying state, different from GAD. My cousin watched me in this state and she said, that this is clear panic, just asperger panic.

And there is my bipolar Problem. It can always come back, couse sleep problems and difficult emotional states with anxiety.

Also I have insomnia. Maybe 1-2 days per Month.

Can't take all sedating antidepressents and low potent antipsychotic because they all work with Histamine-H1-Receptor where I presented paradox and bizarr effects.

So Benzos are all I have.

To manage the Pregabalin effect phase I was thinking of Clonazepam. Many here seem to experience very good results.

Then I need some for panic and insomina. Lorazepam has really no effect on me. Tried 3 mg and nothing happened. Because my insomnia is often anxiety related, I was thinking of Xanax.

I looked through the whole market and there seems to be no option to solve my case with one substance.

I see my doctor on Monday. Will tell help that I gave up and tried the Benzos but Lorazepam is not working and Diazepam is somehow not the right thing.

What do you guys think?

My anxiety is really extreme. Can't drink, can't sleep because I am alwayws alert and Pregabalin needs time. I have anxiety problem since puberty but the antipsychotics masked them.

Now it is all in the open. I had so many sleepless days. Have 10 mg diazepam in my system but when I move to my sleeping room, the anxiety comes. Computer and medical stuff helps me because I have Asperger and this is a special interest of me.

Any advice is very welcome.

drb10080
11-17-11, 07:39 AM
I am also diagnosed with GAD and Panic disorder. I've been on Zoloft, Ativan, and am currently prescribed Klonipin. As a recovering addict, I don't like the idea of being on so many addictive drugs (I'm also on adderall XR). Recently, my Doc suggested clonidine to treat GAD, Panic Attacks, insomnia, and PTSD. It is often used in combination with stims to help high BP. Haven't made the switch yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Abi
11-17-11, 11:11 AM
Severe GAD and Bipolar-2 here.

I take Klonopin 1 mg thrice daily. Ativan works well for me, but not as well as Klonopin. Valium does ****all even at doses as high as 60 mg.

I'd suggest you go for Klonopin 1 mg twice daily.

Your atypical anxiety is unfamiliar to me... it sounds OCD'ish and I'd ordinary suggest Lexapro. But I suppose that would qualify as a "sedating andidepressant" and therefore a no-go.

Xanax (the regular instant release) is the best thing I can think of.

Good luck and welcome to ADDF :)

Maverick420
11-17-11, 04:02 PM
Severe GAD and Bipolar-2 here.

Your atypical anxiety is unfamiliar to me... it sounds OCD'ish and I'd ordinary suggest Lexapro. But I suppose that would qualify as a "sedating andidepressant" and therefore a no-go.

Xanax (the regular instant release) is the best thing I can think of.

Good luck and welcome to ADDF :)

Thank you. My atypical Panic is related to my Asperger. This is new to me and it seems important, that I do not hang in a circle for hours and days, trying to solve a "stupid" problem because I have the panic.

I see my shrink on Monday. Will see what he thinks. Normally he goes along with my ideas, when they have good support.

Change Lorazepam with Alprazolam shouldn't be a problem and the diazepam-mess seems to be solved with clonazepam.

Maverick420
11-19-11, 03:25 PM
Got Clonazepam. It really saved my ***. After weeks of anxiety and sleeping 1-4 hours my first 8 hours sleep + 2 hours in the afternoon.

pechemignonne
11-19-11, 03:43 PM
Just wondering- when you take benzos daily, do you still feel the "stoned feeling" you get at first, or does that go away?

Maverick420
11-24-11, 06:09 AM
I don't take Benzos daily. They impair memory and cognitive functioning too much. Nothing for me.

Abi
11-25-11, 04:13 AM
Peche,

Depends on the person.

Benzo's don't impair my cognitive functioning, but I'm pretty tolerant to the stuff.

Depakote (mood stabiliser) kills me tho. Makes me really stupid.

Maverick420
11-26-11, 01:23 AM
Reporting: Clonazepam worked for 2-3 days. Then no effect. Increasing the dosage didn't help. After stopping it one day and then restarting it worked for one day again. Then no more effect. Bad Luck. Already had these paradox effects on Lorazepam. Drives me crazy.

I am trying to get a hypnotic, something similar to Lunesta and Depakote to enchange my GABA. Hope this works. Hope my doctor approves it because on a Saturday, there are no office times, I didn't sleep, ER service is bad and because we are familiar to the pharmacy, I can get the stuff without a prescription at first but then have to deal with the consequences if my psychiatrist disagrees. I will try to reach him on his cell but maybe I have no luck and have to made this decision on my own. I hate this!

sarahsweets
11-26-11, 10:21 AM
How do you get meds with no prescription?

pechemignonne
11-27-11, 01:09 AM
Peche,

Depends on the person.

Benzo's don't impair my cognitive functioning, but I'm pretty tolerant to the stuff.

Depakote (mood stabiliser) kills me tho. Makes me really stupid.
So you find that some make you more stoned than others? And some people have more of a "cognitive impairment" reaction?

Is it as variable as the side effects with other meds?

You know my situation, Abi, if you remember... My bf is looking into this but concerned about being "stoned" all the time.

He stopped taking Celexa because it was making him "slow" and forgetful. So he isn't going to take benzos if they make him "stupid", even if they do alleviate the anxiety- he has other options. ;)

Maverick420
11-27-11, 01:18 AM
How do you get meds with no prescription?

Are you asking me? Of course I need a prescription to get my meds. Clonazepam was cleared with my doc over the phone and then I got it at some bigger psychiatric center after a long road story.

After all .. Clonazepam is nothing for me. I can take it only twice. Then I already have tolerance.

The Pregabalin now works much better and really improved my anxiety problems.

Because I am bipolar, we now add Valproic acid and for my sleeping issues until the Valproic acid kicks in Zopiclone. Gave me 5-6 hours of good sleep.

Hope my mess is over soon.