View Full Version : Hearing things wrong/trouble making sense of things

sybil
11-18-11, 09:28 PM
Sometimes I hear the wrong thing. Today there were two examples of that.
Example One: My coworker said "I put it in your box." A witness insisted that she said that while I insisted that she said cart. Maybe it is because I envisioned her putting it on my cart.
Example Two: Another coworker told me to give an envelope to a fellow employee. I thought he said, "Tell him it's from the dean." That doesn't make any sense in my line of work. I thought that some guy named was making fun of his own name by saying "the dean". Anyways, the person I gave the envelope to said, "It was from Nadine. Why did you write "from the dean"?

One time my husband came home and said, "I put some watermelon in the fridge". I said, "What about the Watertown Bridge?" Another thing is my husband was talking about something pretty simple and I just didn't get it.

Another example: Someone held up two fingers to me. In hindsight I know she meant 2 but at the time I thought she meant 11 or 22. Don't ask me why because I don't know why....

PLEASE! If you can relate, respond to this!

Spacemaster
11-18-11, 10:51 PM
YES! I can't think of examples right now, but it happens to me all day every day. My mother complained about me all the time, saying "I never listen". In reality, I could be looking at her, trying real hard to listen, but I still didn't hear properly. Check out Auditory Processing Disorder. I am convinced that I have it.

Lillianmay
11-18-11, 10:59 PM
Is this a new problem or have you always had trouble hearing things right? Is it worse if there is background noise? You should probably start by getting your hearing tested.

If you have always had this problem then you might have Auditory Processing Disorder (APD), which is a problem with processing language in the brain. It is sometimes associated with ADHD and also dyslexia. I do not know what can be done for it as I am still being diagnosed. You might get some info from this site: Auditory Processing Disorder in the United Kingdom (APDUK)

www.apduk.org/

sybil
11-18-11, 11:55 PM
I've had my hearing tested and it is fine. The problem has gone on as long as I can remember.

Lillianmay
11-19-11, 12:21 AM
Auditory Processing Disorder is a processing difficulty in the brain. The hearing ability of the ears is just fine, so a regular hearing test will not pick it up. It has to be specially tested for. Sometimes it is called Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). You might want to look it up on the internet and see if it fits your experience. I find that if I tell friends about my APD they are a little more understanding of my missing parts of what they say.

momewrath
11-19-11, 01:57 AM
I think I have a lot of trouble understanding accents (even very slight) because of my ADD. Here's an example of an issue I had while talking to a friend...

We were in Sarasota, FL, which is on the west, gulf coast and is a popular place for golfing and this is how I heard it:

friend: I think it rains every day here in the afternoon because of the golf
me: well the golf courses do have a lot of grass that wouldn't otherwise be there and there's a lot of extra watering involved, but do you really think it could affect the weather?
friend: what?
me: huh?
friend: the gULLLf
me: oh

My friend was from the Midwest and has a slight accent where "golf" and "gulf" sound the same.

another example is that in class my teacher mentioned physical characteristics of a newborn (nursing school) but I heard it as "fiscal" characteristics, even wrote it in my notes like that and it took me like 2 days to figure out she meant "physical", after asking my classmates about it because I couldn't find anything about fiscal characteristics of babies lol.

I really do believe the problem lies with the way people pronounce things and I have a hard time generalizing to interpret their meaning vs what I hear.

allie_b
11-19-11, 04:34 AM
Was an IQ test part of your ADHD assessment?

It was part of mine. I scored very superior or superior in most sections of the test but only above average in the auditory recall section.

It's a trait, I think.

I've had my hearing tested and it is fine. The problem has gone on as long as I can remember.

Tristan Jay
11-19-11, 09:39 AM
Yes, I have exactly what you are describing. During my ADD testing it was described to me simply as a Hearing Impairment, having to do with the brain's ability to process auditory information. He didn't give the precise terminology others have mentioned in this thread.

Those are great examples, BTW, it describes exactly the sort of things I experience. It is most frustrating at work, when I have difficulty comprehending co-workers, and I get this incredulous look from them and end up feeling stupid. :mad:

Your example with someone holding up two fingers is fascinating, I think occasionally my mind will play tricks on my and do similar things; I can see how that can happen.

Was an IQ test part of your ADHD assessment?

It was part of mine. I scored very superior or superior in most sections of the test but only above average in the auditory recall section.I had an IQ test done during my ADD testing, got good results (just weak in math). It's been infuriating, that sense of having my intelligence trapped in a brain that functions in ways that make me seem significantly less intelligent. I could look at it in a positive light and be grateful that it's enabled me to cope better than I might have otherwise; but the problem with that is I've coped to the point of seeming okay superficially, and getting a diagnosis has now come late in the day because I coped well enough to make it difficult to spot for a long time. :(

sybil
11-19-11, 09:45 AM
I haven't had my IQ tested.

Wildwood
11-19-11, 06:53 PM
This is not uncommon with ADHD. When my daughter was in school we had to request that teachers not only give assignments orally but also in written form. They were required to do this to accommodate her needs.

I learned long ago that I needed to write things down AND/or have others write things down. A leaky short term memory is just part of the ADHD challenge. You have to insist that others realize this NOT your laziness. It's a hidden handicap that can be accommodated.

When getting directions I ALWAYS insist (pleasantly) that I have time to draw a map and/or write it all down. Otherwise, well . . . it is easily lost by the short-term memory difficulties of the ADHD brain.

Also, thinking "on the spot" is also difficult b/c of "brain freeze" which is also not uncommon with ADHD. However, when you can get off to yourself and soft the directions or information that are written down, it only takes a few minutes longer to get it clear in your mind.

You have to RESPECT YOURSELF and ask for what you need without apology just like those with visible handicaps must.

fracturedstory
11-19-11, 07:05 PM
Yeah I have a problem processing auditory information properly. There are a lot of people who misunderstand what I say too.

We all end up saying 'what? what?' to each other.

Impetus
11-19-11, 08:02 PM
"Active Listening" techniques seem to help a lot with this.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8368846_active-listening-skills.html

truth be told, the more I work on this the more I'm seeing a lot of people only half listen.... we just get caught more often. ;)

Tristan Jay
11-20-11, 02:17 AM
"Active Listening" techniques seem to help a lot with this.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8368846_active-listening-skills.html

truth be told, the more I work on this the more I'm seeing a lot of people only half listen.... we just get caught more often. ;)

Definitely good stuff. Yet, it's frustrating I have these difficulties even though I've known and been using these techniques already for quite a while. :confused:

Impetus
11-20-11, 07:54 AM
me too. Communication is a two way street, so it could be the other person is mumbling or they aren't clear expressing their ideas. This is where I have to really push myself to stick with them until I know we understand each other.

Massari
11-23-11, 02:02 AM
Sometimes I hear the wrong thing. Today there were two examples of that.
Example One: My coworker said "I put it in your box." A witness insisted that she said that while I insisted that she said cart. Maybe it is because I envisioned her putting it on my cart.
Example Two: Another coworker told me to give an envelope to a fellow employee. I thought he said, "Tell him it's from the dean." That doesn't make any sense in my line of work. I thought that some guy named was making fun of his own name by saying "the dean". Anyways, the person I gave the envelope to said, "It was from Nadine. Why did you write "from the dean"?

One time my husband came home and said, "I put some watermelon in the fridge". I said, "What about the Watertown Bridge?" Another thing is my husband was talking about something pretty simple and I just didn't get it.

Another example: Someone held up two fingers to me. In hindsight I know she meant 2 but at the time I thought she meant 11 or 22. Don't ask me why because I don't know why....

PLEASE! If you can relate, respond to this!

This happens to me when I'm dreaming. When I dream of something, it makes perfect sense but then when I wake up and think about it I realize it makes zero sense like...in one of my dreams, the following made perfect sense:

''I should door the entry into it...before it doors it'' And while I was thinking this, I was closing a door to prevent someone from getting in.

When I woke up I had no clue what that meant but moments ago when I was still asleep, I swear that statement seemed crystal clear.

If it happens to you in real life you may have a problem worth investigating.

sarahsweets
11-23-11, 11:52 AM
I think its possible that ones mind is so filled with so many thoughts that it creates head "noise " so that its difficult to listen and then comprehend. If I'm given multi step instructions all at once I will often skip a step without even realizing it. If there's alot of talking around me it's like my ears and mind are drawn to the other side of the room instead of the person I'm listening to.

full_throttle
11-23-11, 11:48 PM
I have trouble with this everyday. I use Japanese (English is my first language) about 95% of the day even though I'm not that fluent. The conversations are simple enough that I know and understand all the words, but somehow I don't hear it correctly (even though I have excellent hearing) or the message gets rearranged in my head.
easy example*
A: Give this to Katsuaki-san.
later...
Me: I gave it to Hakozaki-san.
A: I said give it to Katsuaki-san.

Now I'm at the point where I tell the person asking me to do something what I understood and they tell me if I'm correct- makes me feel like I'm a 5 year old going shopping for the first time.

I also have a voice recorder, but it is so inconvient to use it for every little thing. When I use it though I can go back and listen to the conversation a couple of times. (^ v ^)

alienpostie
01-22-12, 08:56 PM
I have a very similar issue to this. Sometimes I mis-hear people, but more often I will hear what they say and I know it is perfectly intelligible but I cannot make heads or tails of it. I end up just standing there with a stupid look on my face while I try to figure it out.

Reminds me of a time when, as a truck driver, I was given the directions "down the road, turn right" but I could have sworn she said left... It was a bit of a kerfuffle trying to turn around again!

It's not really something that affects me much and I wouldn't necessarily bother the pdoc about it (I have my 2nd appointment in a week) but I wonder if maybe I should? Also, what about the IQ test? Is that particularly relevant?

Thanks,
Stu

be0lie0ves
03-23-12, 05:13 PM
Happens to me all the time. Although I can "usually" tell when it's happened because what I had just heard doesn't make sense or "fit". My solution to this is to repeat what I thought they said no matter how ridiculous it sounds, they laugh, and then I apologize and tell them that there is a lag with my "English to English Translator".

varied_in_style
03-24-12, 12:15 AM
My mind drops entire words all the time! I have no idea why... One time my dad and I were talking in the car and he said 'We aren't allowed to wear those sneakers at work. Someone slid and got hurt." and I thought he said -I- wasn't allowed. I got pretty mad, because we don't even work for the same place, let alone the same company so how would he know what I'm allowed and not allowed to wear? And then he said something else and -yet again- an entire word just -dropped- mentally, and I never even heard it. It's the only way I can explain it, I just don't hear some of the words...

YES! I can't think of examples right now, but it happens to me all day every day. My mother complained about me all the time, saying "I never listen". In reality, I could be looking at her, trying real hard to listen, but I still didn't hear properly. Check out Auditory Processing Disorder. I am convinced that I have it.

That... I wonder if I should check into that. That sounds like me sooo much!

be0lie0ves
03-30-12, 12:18 AM
I think its possible that ones mind is so filled with so many thoughts that it creates head "noise " so that its difficult to listen and then comprehend. If I'm given multi step instructions all at once I will often skip a step without even realizing it. If there's alot of talking around me it's like my ears and mind are drawn to the other side of the room instead of the person I'm listening to.

I am fairly isolated in the shop I work in (great for me). I listen to music cranked all day (again great for me) as long as I don't need to talk to anyone.

My boss comes out to my shop to do paper work sometimes because he won't be bothered as much. But when he does he turns on talk radio. I hate it. It's to mentally engaging. It's just more noise. I can't focus. No real surprise there.

What is kinda odd is that when someone comes out looking for HIM to answer a question I feel compelled to turn down his talk radio so he can hear. He doesn't have ADD. Neither music nor talk radio bother him when he's communicating with someone. But if I don't turn it down while he's talking I can't focus on my work.

ADD Brains. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

Hypoactive
03-30-12, 07:17 PM
i have almost the opposite problem: i'll be in the middle of a conversation and make a complete fool out of myself because i can't, for the life of me, remember what the name of a relatively common object is...for instance, i was recently on the phone with my sister and the conversation went something like this:

"i'm just about to head out the door, but i'm having trouble deciding which...um...which ones to wear."

"which ones of what?"

"you know, those things you put on your feet?"

"socks?"

"no." :scratch:

"shoes?"

"no. well, kind of -- i mean, they're a certain kind of shoe -- you know, the kind that people wear to picnics a lot?" (LMAO)

:eyebrow: "flip-flops?"

"no. well, flip-flops are similar, but i'm talking about the dressier kind...you know, the kind you can wear with anything? i think it begins with a v."

"vandals??" :lol:

"very funny smart *** -- yeah, sandals, dammit!" (and here, i'd been staring at a pile of sandals the entire time).

and this scenario happens EVERY DANG DAY :eek:, regardless of the subject or the person i'm speaking to. -- but the really odd part?? -- adderall makes the problem even *worse*! but the benefits of adderall greatly outweigh the negatives, so, i guess i'll just go around being an air headed clown for the rest of my life. :yes:

btw, i've read that such problems with "word finding" are commonly one of the first symptoms of alzheimer's...wow, if that's true, i've had the beginnings of alzheimer's for decades already.:umm1:

spunkysmum
03-30-12, 07:25 PM
It sounds similar to when people mis-hear lyrics in songs and come up with the funniest ones.

I think I may have this in a sense, as I do often come up with other phrases that what's being said sounds like, but I rarely actually think that's what they are saying. I usually know what was said but at the same time chuckle to myself at what else it sounded like.

Also, sometimes I have some sort of delayed processing thing where somebody will say something I didn't hear or understand, and even as I'm asking "what?" my brain is reprocessing what I heard and realizing what it was, so that by the time they've repeated themselves, I already know what they've said and may even have a quick answer ready.

DapperOne
07-31-12, 11:03 AM
I actually read lips when I'm listening to someone. It cuts down on that embarrassment quite a lot because I piece two and two together.

CheekyMonkey
07-31-12, 08:28 PM
I actually read lips when I'm listening to someone. It cuts down on that embarrassment quite a lot because I piece two and two together.

I do this as well! I'm horrible on phones when I don't have the lips to help figure out what someone said!

Zevispaz
08-18-12, 12:04 AM
I have a hard time understanding people over the phone, which is why I hate talking on it. I talk back and no one understands what I'm trying to tell them. It's so frustrating.

I can understand people just fine, but making them understand me is hard. Or they don't understand where I'm going with something.

I rely on texts and emails for most communication.

Jynical
08-18-12, 12:23 AM
I don't like talking on the phone either. I prefer text or talking to someone face-to-face... but even then it's iffy on whether or not I'll comprehend what's going on. Usually I'm ok... but I've misheard some of the craziest things coming out of people's mouths... and by the time I've reordered what was said in my brain, I'm off on a mental tangent on what I thought I heard.

Yeah, Jen... that makes a lot of sense what you've typed there.:scratch:

Remember that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the 2 guards and the door...and the "making sure HE doesn't leave!"... no? Just me? Ok...