View Full Version : Apps for Autism - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Unmanagable
11-19-11, 04:42 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7385686n

"Autistic people whose condition prevents them from speaking are making breakthroughs with the help of tablet computers and special applications that allow them to communicate, some for the first time. Lesley Stahl reports."

Lunacie
11-19-11, 10:16 AM
I have an Autistic granddaughter, who fortunately began speaking at the
age of 4. Her communication is still somewhat inadequate though.

So my daughter and I have done a lot of reading on Autism and I've seen
stories of Autists using communication devices which I think is absolutely
tremendous. I'm glad to see that the technology continues to improve and
become more affordable, giving these people a voice.

Unmanagable
11-19-11, 02:53 PM
I have an Autistic granddaughter, who fortunately began speaking at the
age of 4. Her communication is still somewhat inadequate though.

So my daughter and I have done a lot of reading on Autism and I've seen
stories of Autists using communication devices which I think is absolutely
tremendous. I'm glad to see that the technology continues to improve and
become more affordable, giving these people a voice.

We've had a significant incease in the number of autistic students we serve in the last few years and the Ipad has made such a huge difference in giving these students a chance to receive a much more accurate assessment of their abilities in the vocational/independent living areas. The cost is the biggest hurdle for the majority of our students. They continue to work on grants trying to gain more equipment. **Fingers crossed**

They've been piloting a program through our communications dept. to get high school students in who are in need of a communication device to get them started as early as possible. Unfortunately, based on funding, space, staffing, and other systematic issues, they only accept an average of 5-8 each year to participate in this. I wish schools had the funds to provide these in grade school to give them even more increased opportunities.

The technology blows my mind and gives me much hope.

fracturedstory
11-23-11, 09:19 PM
Good video but they should have done more research on autism. Sounds like it came out of 1991 with it's lack of understanding what our behaviour is really about.

You could argue that I'm not severe enough but yesterday I lost speech and had poor motor control because after I found out my favourite band ever broke up.
Also, living in the city makes me break down once every three days.

INaBOX
11-23-11, 09:50 PM
Also, living in the city makes me break down once every three days.

What is it about the city that affects you exactly?

fracturedstory
11-24-11, 07:42 AM
What is it about the city that affects you exactly?
There's more people and they stare and dress nicely and are overly social and expect you to be. They aren't as weird as country town folk so it's harder to fit in.
I have a fear of running out of money and starving.
I'm less organised since I moved here.
It's very very loud, deafening really. I get sensory overload.
I get migraines if I stay outside too long or in well lit rooms.
The people I live with think I don't have autism, ADHD or even think I should see a psychiatrist. I can't really be open with them because I do that by explaining my symptoms.
There's a busy road outside my door. And the town is a 1 minute walk away and is full of people that dress nice and stare.
I feel bad that my cat no longer has a big yard to explore and can leave it and explore more of the town.
My anxiety, meltdowns, shutdowns and seizures have increased.
Sometimes when I do too much in a day I have to stop otherwise I will breakdown in tears from social and physical exhaustion.

stef
11-24-11, 08:03 AM
There's more people and they stare and dress nicely and are overly social and expect you to be. They aren't as weird as country town folk so it's harder to fit in.
I have a fear of running out of money and starving.
I'm less organised since I moved here.
It's very very loud, deafening really. I get sensory overload.
I get migraines if I stay outside too long or in well lit rooms.
The people I live with think I don't have autism, ADHD or even think I should see a psychiatrist. I can't really be open with them because I do that by explaining my symptoms.
There's a busy road outside my door. And the town is a 1 minute walk away and is full of people that dress nice and stare.
I feel bad that my cat no longer has a big yard to explore and can leave it and explore more of the town.
My anxiety, meltdowns, shutdowns and seizures have increased.
Sometimes when I do too much in a day I have to stop otherwise I will breakdown in tears from social and physical exhaustion.

Hi (I just replied to your other thread);
wow it must be really hard - moving is a huge change either way.
I just hope you feel better soon! you may get more used to it (even if you may never like it as much as where you used to live).

Actually I prefer a busier area - because the more people there are the more I can remain "invisible". this stimulation for me is like having TV on in the background.
Can you find a bigger park or open area, that's not too far away and easy to get to? that might help. I wish I had some advice, I hate when I don't like my enviornment, I'm absolutely miserable.

Lunacie
11-24-11, 10:18 AM
I'm also hyper-sensitive and found the sensory overload of living in a city
very difficult to adjust to. I was so happy to move to a suburb - but it's
experienced tremendous growth in the 9 years since we moved here, more
than twice as big as it was.

My Autistic granddaughter is more hypo-sensitive and enjoys going
shopping with her mom, playing with the neighbor kids. She was in a
wheelchair for about 3 weeks after breaking her foot and was driving us
crazy running into furniture and cabinets, getting angry and standing up
to stomp her feet - yes, even the broken one.

Funny how these sensitivities can go either way, hyper or hypo.

fracturedstory
11-25-11, 04:32 AM
I used to be hyposensitive, but I was also under stimulated by most things. I liked animals and drawing them. I really didn't see the need to focus on anything else.

I think I'm slowly getting used to the city. I'm in my room so much though that when I come out I suddenly get reminded that I live with other people and live so close to the metropolitan area.