View Full Version : My lovely son Jude 7yrs just dignosed with ADD - Desperate for advice!

morwennajude
11-20-11, 04:11 PM
Hi,

Desperate for advice .....

My son Jude is 7 and has just been diagnosed with ADD and slight ODD too - they would like to medicate him with Concerta and I have asked for family therapy and also therapy for Jude -

I have just started reading an amazing book 'Understanding ADHD' by Dr Christopher Green which is like reading about Jude.

Can anyone give any advice or knowledge on medication/ therapy etc - my priority is Jude's happiness and in turn our familys happiness too.

To get Jude statemented at school I understand he has to see a Educ Phy however there is a long waiting list - is there anything else I can get help for him with?

Thanks Guys
Love Morwenna x

mcnay1
11-20-11, 06:19 PM
Medicating our son with ADD was one of the hardest decisions that we have had to make. It was scary at first with a lot of unknowns (still have a lot of unknowns) But, it was one of the best things that we have done - for his sake, our sake, his teachers sake...

You're doing the right thing by seeking therapy as well. Meds plus therapy will give you and Jude the best results.

Others here will have great advice for you. We are still relatively new to this so I dont have much to offer except to say to hang in there and good luck.

julesjampot
11-20-11, 06:26 PM
Get your gp on side, your local CAHMHS , Child and adolestent mental health services look in your directory, for one near you.
Your school nurse, your school senco.(special educational needs co oridation officer) you have one in place at your school.
If that fails get in touch i will be of furthur help. Mum of adhd,autism children, England luv Jules

LynneC
11-20-11, 07:24 PM
Hi and welcome! You are in the right place. :)

If you have not found it yet, take a look at the information in Dizfriz's Corner. It will further your understanding of ADHD and give you good ideas about how to discipline an ADHD child and ideas about how to motivate your boy...
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130