View Full Version : Switching to Desoxyn

tambourine-man
11-22-11, 09:31 PM
Ugh, I ran around to six different pharmacies today, made multiple phone calls, and was only able to fill 1/3 of my Dexedrine script. These shortages are incredibly frustrating.

I found a pharmacy that carries Ovation brand Desoxyn. I will be visiting the doctor tomorrow to get switched. Hopefully I won't have any trouble.

I normally take 40mg of Dexedrine divided into three separate doses. I'm thinking I should drop down to 25 or 30mg of Desoxyn, and dose twice daily. Does this sound about right?

Perhaps I will like Desoxyn better than Dexedrine. Right now I'm incredibly irritated by the whole shortage situation. I about had a meltdown. If my doctor won't write for Desoxyn I will be extremely upset.

I don't foresee a problem though. I'm very knowledgable where psychopharmaceuticals are concerned. My doctor knows this. I will present my case and hope for the best.

Wish me luck!

relax21
11-22-11, 11:33 PM
Hope Desoxyn works out for you. Let me know how it goes! :)

relax21
11-22-11, 11:44 PM
I found a pharmacy that carries Ovation brand Desoxyn.
I don't think Ovation produces Desoxyn anymore.

Brand = Lundbeck = Desoxyn

Generic = Mylan = Methamphetamine

I normally take 40mg of Dexedrine divided into three separate doses. I'm thinking I should drop down to 25 or 30mg of Desoxyn, and dose twice daily. Does this sound about right?

Yes. Start low (10 mg daily taken in two divided doses) and raise the dose until you understand how the drug effects you.

tambourine-man
11-23-11, 12:52 AM
Hope Desoxyn works out for you. Let me know how it goes! :)

Do you think it will be a suitable substitute? I want to start low because if I respond well to it on lower doses I will remain on it.

Could you offer some personal insight so that I can print out this thread and take it into my doctor. Just a bit about the benefits you have received, etc... ???

relax21
11-23-11, 11:36 AM
Desoxyn is the only stimulant medication that I have been able to tolerate. It works just as well as any other stimulant for ADHD, but is by far the smoothest and most consistent drug on the market. Desoxyn kicks in rapidly, yet not forcefully, (within minutes) and lasts hours without many peaks and valleys. Two low doses (5 mg in the AM & 5 mg in the PM) helps the therapeutic effects last all day for around 16 hours.

Because Desoxyn is so smooth it's very relaxing and doesn't force me to do anything I don't want to do. It reduces distractions the best of any stimulant I've tried. It allows me to stay awake and engaged and listen to other people without getting distracted, bored, or tired. I find Desoxyn to be a very social medication, as it helps me to socialize with ease, something I found hard to do without medication because of ADHD.

I'm much more calm and focused on Desoxyn and its lack of side effects makes the drug stable for someone like me who's had many difficulties with ADHD treatment in the past. I've done a complete 180 from how I was previous to Desoxyn treatment.

I think Desoxyn's (methamphetamine's) potential to be an ADHD medication is largely unrecognized by the medical community. Stigma aside, Desoxyn is just as safe as any other amphetamine product, ie. Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse. Although I don't think Desoxyn should be a mainstream treatment option like Adderall, it should be used more regularly for patients who don't respond well to other stimulants.

tambourine-man
11-23-11, 01:24 PM
Thanks, it looks like all systems are go! We will will soon see what I think.

buddy
11-23-11, 03:20 PM
Good luck tambourine-man & let us know how it goes.I also take Dexedrine & the pharmacy that I have been getting it from is unable to give me my entire 90day supply.They were only able to give me 76tablets, so I have to try again in Jan. to see if the pharmacy can get more from the manufacturer.This has me very worried as I don't know what else to try if I'm unable to get the Dex. that I've been on for over 5yrs.

tambourine-man
11-26-11, 03:30 AM
Please find this discussion continued here...

http://addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113344