View Full Version : Asked for ID at the pharmacy

Canuck223
11-23-11, 05:14 PM
I deal with a great pharmacy. Today when picking up a RX for myself, (just an ointment) and one of my kids ADHD meds, they asked for a piece of ID.

They now have to keep track of who picks up a RX for controlled meds.

The tinfoil hatter in me thinks why bother, but I've oftened wondered what keeps a slime ball from dropping in to pick up his friend/neighbour/random dude's rx.

Anyone else experience this?

It could be possible that the pharmacy adopted this policy to deal with some of the sketchy characters occupying the neighbourhood it is in.:cool:

Canuck223
11-26-11, 01:18 PM
OK, so I found out that Ontario has a new law in force. Prescribers now have to include your health card number on scripts for controlled substances.
Dispensers have to verify your ID when you pick up.

The goal is to cut down on double doctoring.

ConcertaParent
01-26-12, 09:21 PM
Another surprise I found at the pharmacy is the huge difference in both the drug cost and the dispensing fee. When I asked at the health centre the cost for a Vyvanse prescription (30 30mg tablets), the cost was $130, including $11 dispensing fee. Even though I'm not a member, Costco only charged me $103 (only $3.89 dispensing fee). I'm shocked that there would be more than 25% difference for the exact same medicine!

mrclean2011
02-07-12, 07:43 PM
Not only double doctoring but numerous other drug related reasons. Concerta is not a very commonly abused medication. Usually the fast acting stimulants are preferred for abuse and there is an epidemic in some areas in regards to rx medication being abused.
It is easier in some areas to get rx drugs for abuse then it is to find hard drugs such as cocaine and meth.

Thanks for the Costco post....I love Costco...