View Full Version : On adderall, asking about others..

Rush
11-24-11, 10:36 PM
I'm on adderall, have been on it for a while and paxil.

Adderall has really helped me immensely. Very immensely. I get things done and I'm accomplishing things.

But it doesn't help me in all areas cause I have very bad social anxiety.

Here's the deal: I've seen many many psychologists and many psychiatrists. One of the psychologists recommended adderall and ativan. I told my old psychiatrist about Adderall and he prescribed it. But he never prescribes benzos to anyone at any time. So I shrugged it off.

I saw a new psych and went on my normal routine. Then I stumbled upon some ativan when I went home from summer that my grandpa took after he got in a bicycle accident, hit by a car. He also took ambien too.

I tried the ativan and adderall and, when taken at the same time, it has literally saved my life.

It helps me in all areas of life, bar none. It makes life worth living, it gives me direction, I feel like I contribute to society, contribute to my poor family, etc. I've been on dozens and dozens of antidepressants and none of them have worked, the paxil seems to be the lesser of all evils.

So I want to tell my psychiatrist this. Should I tell her that I've tried my grandpa's ativan (and many bring in his prescription bottle) and/or tell her about the recommendation from my other psychologist? But since she is my new psychiatrist, I've only seen her for a while, she seems to be verrrrry conservative and only put me on 5 mg of adderall once in the morning (when I was taking 20 in the morning 10 in the afternoon before!)

My question is, should I ask her to prescribe me ativan and the increase of adderall that works?

PS I have NEVER done illegal drugs. Everyone's advice is valuable to me, so I want to hear them all. Thanks in advance.

trishcan
11-24-11, 10:56 PM
Clearly, not ideal to experiment on your own...especially when it involves combining stimulants and benzos (or any meds, for that matter). I understand that combination had previously been suggested, but I'm also pretty sure you realize this.

I'm of the opinion that it's best to be as candid as possible with your doctor. I realize that there is a risk involved with such things, but I tend to operate under the premise that any doctor who will refuse to treat you due to such admissions isn't the best doctor for you.

Based on what you've said about your doctor, it doesn't sound like she's the type who would go for what you suggest, if she wasn't even willing to continue your previous treatment at the same dosage and frequency. But you're not really going to find out unless you ask.

Potentially, you could bring it up by first telling her about your anxiety and asking about anxiety medications. If she's hesitant, there's not really any risk in telling her about having taken ativan on your own, since she's conveying to you that she's not planning on prescribing it, anyway. Whether that would change her mind is debatable.

Rush
11-24-11, 11:49 PM
Clearly, not ideal to experiment on your own...especially when it involves combining stimulants and benzos (or any meds, for that matter). I understand that combination had previously been suggested, but I'm also pretty sure you realize this.

I'm of the opinion that it's best to be as candid as possible with your doctor. I realize that there is a risk involved with such things, but I tend to operate under the premise that any doctor who will refuse to treat you due to such admissions isn't the best doctor for you.

Based on what you've said about your doctor, it doesn't sound like she's the type who would go for what you suggest, if she wasn't even willing to continue your previous treatment at the same dosage and frequency. But you're not really going to find out unless you ask.

Potentially, you could bring it up by first telling her about your anxiety and asking about anxiety medications. If she's hesitant, there's not really any risk in telling her about having taken ativan on your own, since she's conveying to you that she's not planning on prescribing it, anyway. Whether that would change her mind is debatable.

I thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me.

Right now my mood is very frantic, though it doesn't show through text.

My doctor seems to be very very nice and possibly willing. To tell the whole story, when I first saw my doctor at my very first visit, she was a very happy person and actually prescribed me my dosage of 30mg for a whole month. But as I was leaving the office happy, she had this look of "buyers remorse" so to say.

There was a problem at the costco pharmacy where they weren't sure if I was prescribed spansules or instant release (costco always does this grr!!!! -: ( but anyways yeah) So I kept calling her office and she seemed a little worried and irritated and said "I feel uncomfortable prescribing this now, I don't really know you" and that kinda makes me seem like I'm a drug user (I'm not and never have used any, and henceforth I wish no one told me that adderall can be abused because I've always been worried about what others think of me, in this case it is better to be ignorant than knowledgable).

So after that she did this thing where she checked my blood pressure and said "oh looks like your blood pressure is high, we need to lower the dosage to 5mg once a day" and I said "ok i'm sorry I don't want you to be uncomfortable around me, whatever you want to do" which oddly enough, in my mind makes me SEEm like a druggie due to human nature -- if you deny something, people tend to disbelieve you.

I plan to come completely clean with her and tell her the whole story and I think she may increase the dosage back to where I'm used to but do psychiatrists have problems doing uppers and downers at the same time? Would there be a medical reason if I told her that adderall and ativan together helps me when taken at the same time? Especially since I trialed my grandpa's pills, she may wonder what else I've taken.

Sorry for the long rant. I really thank you for taking the time to respond and all responses are welcome, I would like to read each of your opinions.

trishcan
11-25-11, 12:03 AM
I plan to come completely clean with her and tell her the whole story and I think she may increase the dosage back to where I'm used to but do psychiatrists have problems doing uppers and downers at the same time? Would there be a medical reason if I told her that adderall and ativan together helps me when taken at the same time? Especially since I trialed my grandpa's pills, she may wonder what else I've taken.

In general, I haven't found that most psychiatrists are opposed to prescribing both stimulants and benzos. I'm prescribed both adderall and ativan, although the ativan is something that can be taken on an as-needed basis. I personally can't tolerate the effect of a benzo unless I'm in such a tremendous state of panic that it just brings me down to baseline.

I know others who overlap stimulants and benzos during the day. I see no reason why a doctor should oppose it, providing the patient is healthy and doesn't have any other issues that would complicate things.

If blood pressure is an issue, some people take beta-blockers to help manage that. Apparently, also helpful for comorbid anxiety, but I can't attest to that.

Rush
11-25-11, 02:49 AM
I took my dose of adderall and I can't even remember why I was so flustered anymore. I'm as calm as a butterfly.

Abi
11-25-11, 06:00 AM
I didnt read beyond the OP but my first bit of advice would be... if at all possible... GET A DIFFERENT PSYCHIATRIST.

These psychs who are "conservative" about benzos and stims are good for nothing.

Good luck :)

buddy
11-25-11, 02:56 PM
My psychiatrist doesn't have a problem with prescribing both Dexedrine & Xanax.I've been on them for over 5yrs. & they work well together.The problem with the Xanax is that it is so addicting that doctors don't want to prescribe it.I think you should tell your doctor the truth & hopefully she will agree with you.If not I would try another doctor.Good luck.