View Full Version : Delivered From Distraction getting me down

foggedup
11-28-11, 04:32 AM
I just started this book after reading about it on here. Haven't gotten too far but it's putting me on a downer. Maybe 3 or 4 chapters in... He speaks from a high energy standpoint, assumes his readers will skip chapters and not finish the book. All his examples so far are of these brilliant people who have racing thoughts and uber-creativity, they just can't seem to stay on something too long.

Here I am with inattentive type add...my mind is sluggish at best. I have some creativity but can't sit down and do anything with it, there's always something else I have to do. I have some smarts, but nothing of the genius level. I read books and magazines from front cover to back cover, in that order. (tho I don't finish books) Basically his examples make me feel pretty inferior!

Does he cover more symptoms of ADHD, particularly those relating to Inattentive? Are his solutions all for the stereotypical ADHD person with a racing mind who loses everything?

Should I bother reading it if I don't have the 'H' ??

Overthinker
12-01-11, 11:33 PM
Hi foggedup,
I just picked this book up myself from the library yesterday and have barely made it into chapter 2. I've gotten a hint of what you're talking about. I'm inattentive, too, and there's no way I could do all those things he mentions. I don't have racing thoughts as much as a muddled brain full of spaghetti. I feel far from creative and innovative although I'm not going to say that stuff isn't buried somewhere in the noodles and meatballs of my mind.

It's been a couple of days since you posted this. Have you gotten any further? Any more thoughts on the book? I'm going to keep reading (as best I can), and I'll let you know what I think.

Aaron

Abi
12-01-11, 11:41 PM
Isn't that one of Hallowell's books?

Burn it.

Overthinker
12-01-11, 11:48 PM
I appreciate your input, but can you give me a little more to go on than "burn it"? It got lots of good reviews on Amazon. Apparently you have a very different opinion. Please share.

Abi
12-02-11, 12:03 AM
Hit the search button at the top of your window and search for the terms "NT apologist" and "Gifter".

grape_ninja
12-02-11, 12:36 AM
The only way I can through his books is to listen to them on my Iphone. Reading has never been one of my strong suits. The best time I have found to listen to it is while I am driving.I have found his books to be good places to start but there is other sources of information out there. My favorite is the Dr Barkley videos. He addresses what it is that challenges us from a different perspective than Hallowell.

Retromancer
12-02-11, 02:55 AM
I never found Hallowell's books relevant to my combined type AD(H)D issues. Ironically one of the first books I did found relevant was Sari Solden's Women with Attention Deficit Disorder. I have found her books and the writings of Thomas Brown, MD to be the most useful.

foggedup
12-02-11, 03:46 AM
aaron704 - Just got through ch. 7 last night and it talks about a type of ADD combined with RDS, means they never experience pleasure so have this 'uncontrollable itch you can't scratch' which makes them do over-the-top impulsive things to stimulate their brain. Can't check that one off either.

I'm gonna wade through it, it's light enough reading, see if I can't find any gems in the murk. Then I'll toss it in the fireplace ;)

Retromancer, your books aren't available! Ok, the first one I can get used via amazon, but can't find much on the second author. I put the first in my wish list for later. Thanks for the title/authors.

Retromancer
12-02-11, 04:06 AM
Both Sari Solden and Thomas Brown have websites that list their books. Brown's website is quite informative by itself.

Thomas Brown's site: http://www.drthomasebrown.com/index.html (http://www.drthomasebrown.com/index.html)

Saru Solden's site: http://www.addjourneys.com/members/sarisolden

Unmanagable
12-02-11, 04:48 AM
Both Sari Solden and Thomas Brown have websites that list their books. Brown's website is quite informative by itself.

Thomas Brown's site: http://www.drthomasebrown.com/index.html (http://www.drthomasebrown.com/index.html)

Saru Solden's site: http://www.addjourneys.com/members/sarisolden (http://www.addjourneys.com/members/sarisolden)

I definitely agree with the Sari Solden book!! (Hadn't heard of Brown yet - thanks, Retro!) It was my first adhd read. The pdoc's receptionist told me I needed to read it prior to my appointment and it was like reading a damn near exact script of my life. I got the updated version that included what she has learned and the advances made since writing the first one.

It's a healthy sized book, which was an immediate turn off due to my lack of reading comprehension, but I breezed through it in two nights, reading after work. I bet I went through a whole box of tissues as I read it, sobbing at the realization that I'd finally figured out what the he!! had been going on in my life and why I made the choices I did.

It's written in such an adhd-friendly way by someone who also has adhd and is very easy to understand. I ordered mine 'used' from Amazon, but don't remember how much it was.

Overthinker
12-08-11, 03:28 PM
I get the feeling there are two categories of ADD adults: those who have it and are overachievers and those who have it who are underachievers. That's probably grossly oversimplifying things, but reading "Delivered from Distraction" sure gives me that impression. As for me I can't imagine being a CEO or entrepreneur without meds and counseling.

Aaron

Retromancer
12-08-11, 04:18 PM
Hmm how about dividing us into those who have publicists -- and those who don't?

I get the feeling there are two categories of ADD adults: those who have it and are overachievers and those who have it who are underachievers. That's probably grossly oversimplifying things, but reading "Delivered from Distraction" sure gives me that impression. As for me I can't imagine being a CEO or entrepreneur without meds and counseling.

Aaron

anonymouslyadd
12-08-11, 04:23 PM
I've pulled info from many books.

I have read most of Driven to Distraction and for the first time in my life, I did not feel alone. I liked the case study example he used of the guy struggling to get work done.

Scattered was a pretty good one too.

sarahsweets
12-08-11, 05:19 PM
I'm still working on Barkley one video at a time.

foggedup
12-08-11, 09:04 PM
I've skimmed through half the book now, skipping chapters. So far not impressed, skipped chapters that don't apply... I'm still gonna push through it. Good bathroom reading material ;)

Sarahsweets, what barkley videos are you talking about? I found these: http://www.russellbarkley.org/barkley-books-videos.htm at the bottom of the page, but they're pretty pricey, and seem geared towards professionals?

sarahsweets
12-08-11, 09:09 PM
I've skimmed through half the book now, skipping chapters. So far not impressed, skipped chapters that don't apply... I'm still gonna push through it. Good bathroom reading material ;)

Sarahsweets, what barkley videos are you talking about? I found these: http://www.russellbarkley.org/barkley-books-videos.htm at the bottom of the page, but they're pretty pricey, and seem geared towards professionals?
Youtube. Their not complete and short but hey its better than nothing.

Kimmy1
12-08-11, 11:14 PM
I've pulled info from many books.

I have read most of Driven to Distraction and for the first time in my life, I did not feel alone. I liked the case study example he used of the guy struggling to get work done.

Scattered was a pretty good one too.
I really liked Driven to Distraction.
And it was great to know I wasn't alone.
For some of us that were diagnosed later in life, I can't tell you what a relief it was for us.

babidi
12-09-11, 11:50 AM
Youtube. Their not complete and short but hey its better than nothing.

The full videos of Russell Barkley's youtube videos are here and other ADHD lectures:

http://caddac.ca/cms/video/teens_adults_player.html

I've downloaded all of them.

In addition, you can download 2 full videos of Russell Barkley that were also posted on youtube and other ADHD lectures:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mindinstitute/videos/video_adhd.html

msmedieval
12-10-11, 04:32 PM
As someone who very recently found about about my ADD & knows almost nothing about it I found it very useful. Yes, the examples don't apply to us Inattentives (I skipped most of them) but he listed lots of information that I would never have linked to ADD if I didn't read the book. Made a huge impact for me.

grape_ninja
12-10-11, 08:51 PM
I have never read nor could I, books that long with that much information they would lose me in very short time. I had to listen to them on my Iphone. I was dx at 55 years old so it was mostly new info for me. Now that I have been living this altered reality of my new life that changed and in the same breath didn’t change I find there are deeper levels that need to be explored.

I found his books to be good intro information for new comers to the ADHD world. There is so much more to be learned at your own individual pace that works for you. Dr. Barkley’s videos include some very good nuts and bolts information that I have found to be helpful.

feelme03
12-14-11, 01:33 PM
I enjoyed the book "The Gift of AD/HD" just don't know the authors name, but found it at Barnes and Noble. It's pretty easy to read and not as thick as the others. There are some helpful ideas, and you don't feel so bogged down after you read it, in fact it's uplifting to view AD/HD in a different light.

beetlejuice
12-14-11, 02:08 PM
The best one I have read is "Attention deficit disorder the Unfocused mind in children and Adults", by Thomas Brown. I could relate to everything in this book. Unlike Hallowell, Brown doesn't talk about ADD as some kind of super power, but as an actual disorder. If you haven't read this one, I strongly reccomend it.

Retromancer
12-14-11, 03:23 PM
You sure it wasn't at Borders? In the 'Half Price Inspirational Crap' bin?

I enjoyed the book "The Gift of AD/HD" just don't know the authors name, but found it at Barnes and Noble. It's pretty easy to read and not as thick as the others. There are some helpful ideas, and you don't feel so bogged down after you read it, in fact it's uplifting to view AD/HD in a different light.

Stressless37
12-15-11, 09:49 AM
I agree about having the right mate. I am so glad I married well. My husband very rarely complains about undone chores. He almost always credits me for what I do get done.

I like this book for the most part. I have been reading it bit by bit. It was overwhelming at first. My general rule with most books is, I hit the index first! Then browse the middle....

One thing I definitely agree with is no one with ADD is exactly alike :) I like unique :)
I also like how he uses numbered lists... like..helpful ideas...etc...
I'm still reading...

Hawutwut
03-17-13, 11:37 PM
Though I'm maybe 1/2 way through, the first couple chapters of Delivered from Distraction helped me see what ADD 'looks like' and see that it looks very much like what I have. Next step, see if I can find ways to work around, work with, or reduce my deficiencies.